It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spartacus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I watched the first episode of Spartacus on the Bravo Channel in the UK this week.

I loved it, it's very bloody and graphic but just distanced enough from reality that the violence didn't disturb me. In fact there were a couple of moments that I treasured after laughing my socks off.

(Think Tom & Jerry - my favourite)

For anyone who enjoyed the programme and would like to know more about the real Spartacus, here is a long, interesting article from the Daily Mail.

The writer slates the show a bit, but gives a full picture of Spartacus and his revolt:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f033f3536a52.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 29-5-2010 by berenike]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I just started watching the first few episodes. I like them, but I just hope that the show will show his revolt also. The way its going I am thinking the series might just be about his time as a slave.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Allready seen the series and absolutely loved it!!!! I don't think you'll be dissapointed the more you see, it's great!

I made a thread on it..... www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Valiant
thanks a lot for letting me know what you thought about it. I'm not disappointed as far as the technical side of it goes. The story remains yet to be seen. Thanks again.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Hi, sorry I missed your thread. I did a search and I couldn't find anything and I scrolled through the TV forum, too. (I'm so embarrassed - this happened to me in ATS recently).

I've only seen the first episode so, although I've checked out your OP, I'll read the rest of the thread later on after I've watched a few more episodes. Don't want to spoil any surprises

(I'm terrible for reading episode guides before watching actual programmes and I'm trying to wean myself off doing it).

Have you seen '300' ? I loved that.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I'm about half way through the series now, and he is still a slave. I am beginning to get disappointed that it seems to be focusing on his live as a slave. However I am glad the series is showing the life of the slaves. Meaning how there are there to serve the whims of the Romans.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

S'ok mate! glad you're liking it anyway! I heard about it months ago and got so excited I couldn't wait and downloaded the episodes! loved every single one!

Yeah I have 300, I actually love the film! but many hated it didn't they? Spartacus deffinately has a lil 300 about it aye, the fights are great!!!

Redgolem.....I think series 2 will focus on the other part of Spartacus' life....I kinda like how series 1 is set, gears you up for whats to come!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Valiant
That may very well be. It is just unfortunate that I like the way the recent Spartacus movie went better then this series at this point. I just feel like its more of a scripted drama then a historical retelling of a story. Again not that I have not been liking the series.

Spartacus movie

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yeah, I never expected that much historical accuracy tbh, I like the direction they went for the series!

I have never seen that movie....I will check it out now thanks!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

There's a series 2 ?? YAY!

My cup is runnething over - thanks for that news.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

There will be a series 2!!! but Andy whitfield, the guy who plays spartacus is being treated for a condition atm, so it's on hold for a while! but yeah, cannot wait for a series 2!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Glad to hear there will be a season two.
Real bummer that the lead is having some health problems, I hope it will all be worked out.
Has any one bothered to check the demographics for the show? I am a little curious what the men vs women viewers might be.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I can honestly say the show gets so much better as the season goes on. The last episode will blow you away.

Andy Whitfield has non hodgkins lymphoma but it is treatable and I believe they are already back to filming season 2.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I found this article about season 2. I won't quote from it as not everyone wants to know in advance what's coming.

spartacusbloodandsand.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The LORD said to Gideon, "With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands.-Judges7.7

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Im on the later episodes now. I have noticed they have made the gor worse then in the previous ones. It has kind of been a comic book gor up until now.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The film 'Gladiator' was on TV last night, I tuned in somewhere near the end when the chariot race was on.

Much as I love chariot racing, I found the level of pain and violence a bit hard to watch because it looked 'real'.

I'll have to hope that by the later episodes of Spartacus I've developed some immunity

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Bernike
Speaking as some one who prefers not to shugest any violence, I rather hope you do not become hardened to the violence in the later episodes. I remember the movie Gladiator. It was quite violent, but as is said with the Spartacus series, probably not out of the realm of portraying the times.

This movie of Spartacus I found to not be difficult to watch, and got the point across of why so many slaves joined the revolt.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Just letting everyone know I have finished the first season.
I did like the way it ended in general.
Am looking forward to the second season, and do hope they finish the story.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I really liked this, Spartacus is a really good show, very 300 esque!!
I heard the second season is going ahead without the lead actor and is pre-Spartacus or something like that till he's back.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join