It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leopards and other big cats ARE on the loose in Britain - just don't tell a soul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Ah well that just goes to show how much I know about big cats: I didn't even know that there are different types of lynx, I thought it was a species. I suppose it depends what a medium size dog is, but it sounds possible.
Still, it was running hunkered down, in deep shadow & a fair distance away, so I cant be too sure anyway. The only thing I am sure of is it wasn't a scottish wildcat or a domestic cat. It was definitely bigger than that.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
One of the most interesting aspects of alien big cats is that the majority of sightings tend to be black animals which not only reduces the species paradigm

Possibly because black is the colour of choice to survive in the UK. I suspect other species as well as the leopard can go black in only a few generations if required.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

One of the most interesting aspects of alien big cats is that the majority of sightings tend to be black animals which not only reduces the species paradigm

Possibly because black is the colour of choice to survive in the UK. I suspect other species as well as the leopard can go black in only a few generations if required.

If that's the case, where are all the black animals native to Britain then?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
reply to post by LightFantastic

I have to agree with you on some of the points... yes a cat could have been scared off of a kill in a field.

Also if these cats are for instance a cross between a Puma and a Leopard, Which could be possible with a lack of same species partners....Then their habits could very well change, But i would still expect a cat with the time would try to hide its hard won kill.

Interestingly I have only heard of partially eaten kills. In addition I have never heard of a cow being atatcked.

Maybe a hungry animal will risk coming closer to humans, take livestock, eat quickly and run back to its territory.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
I suppose it depends what a medium size dog is, but it sounds possible.

Here's a quick example of how big they can get:

Granted, that one is unusually large, but still, a typical male bobcat will be around 30lbs. The Eurasian Lynx gets even bigger, so you can see how, at a distance and with no frame of reference to judge size, it could be easy to mistake it for something much bigger. Its obviously not a housecat.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I am talking about big cats - the subject of the thread.

[edit on 29/5/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
About 12 years ao when my dad was a taxi driver doing an early morning run to a golf course in the middle of nowhere north of the derwent valley. He swears he saw a large black cat cross in front of his car on the road at 6am. He can't prove it,but was convinced of what he saw...an yes I belive him.

Wayne..

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I think its quite scary
i would so not want to see a big wild cat whilst out walking, it would probably smell my fear and eat me alive, im abit of a wuss, afraid of strange dogs also.

Im in northern Ireland tho so suppose im okay, havent heard any reports here

[edit on 29-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow, This is beautiful. I wonder what dimension, hmm, never mind on that topic. Do you know of the Lyran's?

"There is some information out there that says we are now Pleiadians, but that is in fact not true. We would be considered cousins to them in a manner of speaking, but we are not one and the same. We worked a great deal in conjunction with the Pleiadians in seeding efforts not only on Earth, but many other planets as well. In that respect we share a great deal in common with the Pleiadians. In fact many Lyrans have lived many lifetimes as Pleiadians."

www.ufodigest.com...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Hey there, I know the incident you're speaking of ... if memory serves it was nr Fylingdale ... by the stone bridge.

If this isn't the same one that you're speaking of then there was another similar case where a police marksman was in attendance.

I believe the story was even mentioned in the Gazette & Herald (local paper) but I've never been able to find it again.

However, around that same time (give or take), there was another story in the same paper about a guy in Malton (not that far away as the crow flies), who had been alerted to some disturbance in his backyard by his dog.

When he went to investigate ... one of his plant pots had been knocked over. It wasn't until the following morning when he could see better that he found a large paw print in one of his planters ... as if a large animal had stepped in the soil on it's way over the garden wall.

Coincidently I couldn't find that story again either.

Woody

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Sorry for the mis representation, i was saying that it is beautiful that their are big cats roaming around babylon. Lyrans are what they are you can research more on that subject if you like cats, know that i feel they do their work from the ninth dimension. just some of my thoughts, on the subject but i got them like eveyone els.

www.nibiruancouncil.com...

"The Felines are one of the two primary races in our universe. They arrived here by invitation of the Founders. Having successfully completed their Universal Game and completing their universe, a group of 45 Felines volunteered to come to this universe to help setup and oversee the same game here.

The Felines are a bipedal race that stand 12 to 16 feet tall. Their skin is covered by a sort of soft fuzz, and though they don’t have fur, they do have manes and both the males and females have long hair.

Their eye color ranges from blue to gold and can change from blue to gold as they mature. They also turn from a golden brown color to white.

The overall Feline temperament is warm, sanguine and intellectual. As they mature they take on more of a somber, introspective and gentle nature. The elders are revered for the wisdom, compassion and insight."

~Jelaila~

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Wild cats are such gorgeous animals. There are people who have wild cats as pets who are responsible. They provide a huge area for the animals and try to keep their habitat as natural as possible. They are well fed, get a lot of exercise and the proper vet care that they may need. Then you have the type that just think they can handle owning and caring for these animals and get overwhelmed with the task. It is a shame to just let an animal loose to fend for itself in a strange environment not native to them.

In any case, these are wild animals and can attack. Admire them from a distance, but be very careful.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ReHaBzWuRdZ

Talk about being off topic!

Back to rehab for you, methinks.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

I am talking about big cats - the subject of the thread.

[edit on 29/5/2010 by LightFantastic]

Yes, so am I. Where are all the cats native to Britain that are black?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Yeah, at the distance I saw the beast & in the poor light, there wasn't much to go on to give it scale except a dry stone wall something like 20-30m behind it & the grass it was running through. If it hadn't been running in a sort of undulating way, like if it was still or just walking, I expect I'd have thought it was a dog. It'd have been easy to think it was bigger tho, if the wall hadn't been there for instance.
Still, lynx aren't native to Britain either. I looked them up & I haven't seen any pics that seem the right colour. The beast I saw was dark enough all over its flanks & back to stand out against grass in deep shadow. I didn't notice any pattern to its markings either, but then, in the light conditions, maybe I wouldn't have, after all they're supposed to be camouflage.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

That's a good point. They dont seem so ubiquitous anymore, but a while ago plenty of farms had populations of feral cats. They were pretty much always tabby or ginger toms.
When I was growing up (70s), if you wanted a good mouser, you went to a farm for a kitten.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Hey there, I know the incident you're speaking of ... if memory serves it was nr Fylingdale ... by the stone bridge.

Im like you i cant find the links to say for definate if this is the same case, now that you mention it flyingdales does come to mind. We seem to get just as many sightings as anywhere these days.

Theres even a well known case where a policeman came face to face with one of these big cats on the streets of Selby not far from the cathedral.
Witness's also claimed to have seen what looked like a big cat crossing Newport bridge in Middlesbrough, I know ive read these stories but for some reason im having trouble chasing these up.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I have to admit that the big cat my partner and I saw out dog walking was only about 25ft away, crossed out path stopping for a second or so to eye us up in the is it a threat/can I eat it kind of way.. it the only time I've seen our dog (collie) turn rigid.. Tho as soon as it ran off she was like "can I chase it now?"

I couldn't for the life of me name the type of cat, it was simply big black, and passed in-front of a road sign, which is about waist height.. and nor do I care.. it was an magical/scary experience my partner and I shared together so it matters little whether we are believed or not, it's ours to treasure

to the big cats.. and
to the people who's irresponsibility let them lose

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

We don't have any big cats native to Britain.

Are you arguing that the selection pressures on what we call a cat - the domestic / feral, even Scottish Wild cat - would be the same for a big cat, such as a lion?

Domestic cats tend to live with or near humans, big cats would need to avoid humans.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Hey TFJ! (LTNS)
I believe ya big fella!

The ones that I've seen have been a flat, even, tan colour, like a puma, but I'm intrigued by the fact that the majority of these sightings seem to be black.

Many are described as being "panther-like".
(Just so people know... Panther is just a term used to describe a large black cat, usually a black leopard or sometimes jaguar, it's not a different species of cat, just a black version of another species.)

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if there is an established population of wild big cats now in the UK, the source of this population is likely to be from escaped or released animals, from private collections or exotic pets? (Probably as a result of the introduction of legislation relating to dangerous wild animals in the 70's)
If so, I'd expect there to be a high percentage of black-coated animals in this population, as these animals - being rarer in nature - would be seen as being more "exotic" for collectors purposes?

There's an interesting website which catalogues and investigates UK big-cat sightings LINK to BIG Cats in Britain Website They have THOUSANDS of catalogued sightings over many decades, of Big Cats in the UK.
Their current (latest) sightings are listed in the BLOG area at Big Cats Website BLOG Area and there seem to be some very recent ones in there.

Interesting stuff!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join