It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Death Panels" Debunking another Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Myth Health care reform provides for euthanasia, "death panel"

REALITY: Advance care planning is not mandatory in the House health care bill. Section 1233 of America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 -- which includes "Page 425" -- amends the Social Security Act to ensure that advance care planning will be covered if a patient requests it from a qualified care provider [America's Affordable Health Choices Act, Sec. 1233]. According to an analysis of the bill produced by the three relevant House committees, the section "[p]rovides coverage for consultation between enrollees and practitioners to discuss orders for life-sustaining treatment. Instructs CMS to modify 'Medicare & You' handbook to incorporate information on end-of-life planning resources and to incorporate measures on advance care planning into the physician's quality reporting initiative."

PolitiFact: McCaughey's claim that seniors would be encouraged to end their lives "is an outright distortion." "McCaughey incorrectly states that the bill would require Medicare patients to have these counseling sessions and she is suggesting that the government is somehow trying to interfere with a very personal decision. And her claim that the sessions would 'tell [seniors] how to end their life sooner' is an outright distortion. Rather, the sessions are an option for elderly patients who want to learn more about living wills, health care proxies and other forms of end-of-life planning. McCaughey isn't just wrong, she's spreading a ridiculous falsehood." [PolitiFact.com, 7/23/09]

CLAIM: Health care reform would establish a "death panel."

REALITY: "Death panel" claims have been conclusively discredited. In one of more than 40 media reports debunking claims of euthanasia and "death panels," PolitiFact wrote: "We've looked at the inflammatory claims that the health care bill encourages euthanasia. It doesn't. There's certainly no 'death board' that determines the worthiness of individuals to receive care. ... [Palin] said that the Democratic plan will ration care and 'my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's "death panel" so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their "level of productivity in society," whether they are worthy of health care.' Palin's statement sounds more like a science fiction movie (Soylent Green, anyone?) than part of an actual bill before Congress. We rate her statement Pants on Fire!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Blah to your plagiarized talking points.

Rationed care? Absolutely. Are you worth it? Nope. Left to die.

Glad that I'm not REALLY old yet.

My value will not be judged by a worthless fuggin bureaucrat.

Your glorious Health Care Bill will be ruled unconstitutional and your sorry ass will weep rivers of alligator tears as you're deported to Cuba.

Black stars for trolling! --> * * * * *

Thanks.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Like I know but!!!

The new health care bill, as stated by Obama
1)doesn't lower the cost from big pharmas.
2)saves the tax payers money.

So you do the math....Where do the savings come from???

Me? I'm guessing limited care to some...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Now you understand that the "Death Panel" myth is false and I am glad that I was able to inform you so you can have the real information.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
After enduring the last few years of American politics from afar via every avenue of news I'm bombarded with on a daily basis, I've concluded that death panels could be beneficial to America. The only change I would make would be that they wouldn't be limited to people with medical conditions but instead utilized on a more generalized and thorough basis. To ensure impartiality maybe you could have death panellists brought in from other friendly nations so you know that the decisions made are in the best interests of America.

Death panels 2012! Lets fix America!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
there is no such thing as death panels...IT'S A LIE...if it is not, prove it, or shut the hell up. a conspirecy has SOME truth to it...there is NO proof of death panels. why do people even listen to this crap and not question it.

new topics

top topics

join