It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unplugged Christians living off the grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

As the sun rises, cool blues and grays begin their slow transition to glowing golds and ambers. Like a child's pop-up book, dimension is added and a valley is transformed.

To look upon this beauty in the western U.S. state of Oregon is to understand what people mean when they say this is God's country, and that's exactly why Brother Gregory lives here.

He is part of a wider movement of conservative Christians who are choosing to live their lives on the edge of society, unplugged from civilization as much as they can, living under basic biblical principles.

Brother Gregory -- the "Brother" is more of a nickname than an occupational title -- ministers from the Oregon desert where he lives with his wife, some of his grown children and grandchildren.

Like other conservative Christians in this growing movement, Brother Gregory believes that Christianity has strayed too far from its roots, and has given its role in people's lives over to the government -- as with welfare programs or health care.

"We are not living off the grid as much as we are creating a new grid, a more wholesome grid," he said.

"We are following a different path that we think is healthier, promotes better families, and better communities."

Other than the whole Christian and religion part I 100% agree. I would love to live off the grid, that's my dream.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I agree with Brother Gregory as well.
Wish we had more like him

Just because ur in Rome
don't mean u have to join
the festivities in the coliseum.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I hear that some of the old hippy communes are flourishing in Tennessee. I do not know where they are, but my cousin was a member of one. Another friend of mine says he knows of one. The only caveat is that you have to donate anything you own to the community. So, if you have a car or a truck, everyone shares. I think my friend said the guy had 5,000 acres.

I haven't heard from my cousin in twenty years. It's been a while since my friend has been that way as well. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those places got sold in the real estate mania that occurred a few years ago.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

what's intresting is ..this isn't a new 'thing' .. LOL.. good ol' CNN, always factual..

wow.. here's a snipnet from yahoo answer.. sheesh ..

oh my goodness....I have seen so many wrong answers here. first and foremost, mennonites are strong christians. Not all mennonites where kapps. and the different colours? different "versions" of mennonites wear different colours of kapps (black or white). typically, the amish wear white kapps, along with some groups of conservative mennonites. in the kansas area, the holderman mennonites wear black kapps.

the purpose of the kapps is showing respect for the Lord. the most defining characteristic of the mennonites is anabaptism. this means that one is not baptized as a baby, but rather when they are old enough to understand the bible and accept the Lord Jesus Christ. this started in the 1600s and the anabaptists (mennonites) were persecuted for their beliefs by the Roman Catholic church. the reason that they are called mennonites is because of the founder, Menno Simons. another defining characteristic of mennonites is that they are passafists (spelling error?)

this means that we do not believe in fighting at war because of the fact that it would most likely require killing another human being that God has created. this is as much as i can tell you as my anabaptism class is fuzzy in my memory...and yes, i am a general conference mennonite. oh and about the black car...for that "version" of mennonite, any other colour is considered "worldly"...everybody in that mennonite church wants to be on an even playing field....as so somebody doesn't have something better than the other person leading to a pursuit of consumerism rather than a pursuit of the Lord.
source

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Great for them.

A whole new grid is a fresh and appropriate phrase for what many lovers of God and mankind are shaping.

Although we in my family have not relocated and withdrawn from mainstream society, we have, as Boondock-Saint says, begun to identify and manipulate more of the aspects of our lives that are not true to our beliefs and goals to be better, more sincere, and truly useful people in the cause of goodness, whatever form it may take, whether conservation of our resources, extra efforts to maintain the public places we spend time, or to help when asked, even if it is not convenient or likely to make us look like good people.

Unfortunately, as these people have found, this is just not what is produced so much from simple church attendance and all that jazz that has become ritual in modern American Christianity.

Simple things we have been able to do to unplug somewhat, even in situ, include these things, which I am not suggesting we all should do, but rather offering as examples of a solution being searched for and then found and implemented:

Moving close enough to walk to work. Old-fashioned, with old-fashioned exercise and time to relax and prepare as we walk.

Giving more business to those within walking distance, buying at individually-owned stores, eating more meals of vegetables and grains, on purpose.

Refusing to use pesticides except in cases of health, none on our foods or grounds. Planting extra, maintaining the plants, observing and working with the best plants for our area, these things have produced abundant results.

Using home remedies, like vinegar, for flea control. There is a wealth of items that take some getting used to, but pay off richly in good health, good cleaning, and so much money saved.

Making our favorite "restaurant" foods at home. Finding one's skill in preparing enjoyable meals is one of the best ways to find more simple pleasure in life, and working together brings people together. It also saves money and builds self-esteem, and allows total control of the ingredients. This further allows healthier items to be worked into our meals, as well, and reveals the mysteries of flavors, cultures, and the timelessness of food preparation. Simple pleasures that really benefit in so many different ways.

This is why I know God is good. Following Him and believing in His wisdom allows us to benefit from that wisdom, in many, many ways. Economical, inventive, there is no end to the ways that God helps me, simply because He is good, and I agree with that. That is really all it takes to begin a life that always works better, even if that means allowing things to surface that must be removed to make one's life what they really would like it to be.

It doesn't happen all at once, to be sure, but the journey keeps me interested, looking for more of that helpful wisdom, and coming back from the brink every time I am pushed there.

I encourage everyone to taste the things of the Lord, and see that they are good. He will always come to where you are, never makes you feel bad about anything, and restores your very soul, in what seems like forever and one instant, all at once.

Seek Him today. Why go on without His wonderful love? It is all things, to all people.

Get some.

Love and peace.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
A lot of Christians are being "pushed" out of society. There's a lot of hostility these days towards Christians/Christianity. Not saying all of it's undeserved but the point remains: Christians are looking for alternatives.

We could "fight back" for our right to everything that non-Christians enjoy but it seems counter-intuitive to take the offensive.

I'll be living off-grid soon myself. The framers of the Constitution said that this new form of government wouldn't work for a non-Christian people and they were right. When society wants to get back to the principles that made this nation great then I might come back out but until then, I'll be working on my end of the new grid.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
They could call themselves "Rechabites", based on the Old Testament group which renounced town life in favour of old-style tent-life;

"..for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, 'you shall not drink wine... you shall not build a house, you shall not sow seed, you shall not plant or have a vineyard; but you shall live in tents all your days, that you may live many days in the land where you sojourn.'" (Jeremiah ch35 vv6-7)

[edit on 29-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Some may call them rolemodels, ....

I say cowards.

True men can only be forged in the heart of a fire.

I'll be where the action is.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Would you take your wife and children into the fire with you?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

I'm not married but I have a son.

Yep, I would take him with me.

I think the more kids experience and see the more likely theyll make wiser decisions in life.

You can shield them and tell them what is, and what isnt. But in the end their going to want to find out for themselves. The sooner the better.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Cool article! I agree with them too. You don't need to be religious to do this!

Here is a good quote from the article:

Personal secession are things like homeschooling, house churches, home gardening, home-based economics, just regaining privacy and a sense of community rather than worrying about what's going on in Washington, D.C... What's the latest thing from the Supreme Court? "You know, who cares? I don't care about what they're saying in D.C. because they don't represent me hardly more than Pyongyang."

People can do this and more and more are, it is my ultimate goal. But we are running out of time to get set up as the economy continues to implode.

The guy in the picture (Marv) is a friend of mine. We met in 2008 during the Ron Paul campaign.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I strongly disagree with this.

It's just like the Monks who hide themselves away. The Christains job is to live In the world and be an example. Separating themselves like this is unbiblical.

The world is living with technology. How can these people reach others for Christ if they do not use this technology? They cannot.

I think it's better to make your own grid using the technology than try to live without it.

What I would do is set up a community that makes it's own energy using wind, solar, etc, recycle everything, make cars and other machines powered by solar power.. this way the community could prove to the world we don't need oil and gas from the earth to survive.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
I hear that some of the old hippy communes are flourishing in Tennessee.

Yeah, I was going to say, "The hippies did it first"

There are many more than just in Tennessee. They're all over the US.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Some may call them rolemodels, ....

I say cowards.

True men can only be forged in the heart of a fire.

I'll be where the action is.

So you'd rather continue living in a society that feeds off of you? Look deep into yourself. Maybe you are a coward for refusing to give up your material possessions and meaningless hobbies in favor of a more wholesome life. Yes, you go on and continue doing what you do "where action is."

And by the way, you're not living in "heart of the fire." You're living in a world of genetically modified foods, fluoridated water, 'medicated' citizens, air full of soft metals.. yes, some fire.

jus' sayin'

[edit on 29-5-2010 by frozenspark]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

You don't even know anything about me, so your opinion is basicaly meaningless.

So having a TV, a car, trying to experience as much as I can in life makes me a coward ??

I'm not the one running for the hills because their affraid society will corrupt their children, or their wife might be tempted by an ungodly heathen.

They have done this out of fear, and ignorance.

I live by love and acceptance.

These people are throwing in the towel, true spiritual masters live among all people, and even the most vile, and despicable of people, as an example to humanity.

Did not Jesus keep the company of prostitutes, bankers, and the scum of his day ??

Did he not go into the wilderness with the very intention of being tempted by " satan" ?? to face it head on instead of running from it ??

These people who claim to know Christ are usually the ones who know him the least, and have a naive notion of who the Christ was, and is.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I strongly disagree with this.

It's just like the Monks who hide themselves away. The Christains job is to live In the world and be an example. Separating themselves like this is unbiblical.

IICorinthians 6:17
Come out from among them and be ye separate and touch not the unclean thing.
For those who need a link to validate anything

Some may think it's cowardly to unplug and take responsibility for your own life and the lives of your children. Then again, others think it's cowardly to continue licking the hand that pretends to feed you while making your cage and feeding bowl a little smaller every year.

It takes great courage to not follow the crowd over the cliff. It takes more courage to oppose the mob and actually accept responsibility for the outcome of your own life.

Mediocre minds think alike-great minds think for themselves.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
People are finally starting to realize that we were happier as a society with less.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
These types of situations and options, perspectives and philosophies are what we deal with but the fact that we can discuss them openly and without fear of reprisal proves that the US, at least, is still a democracy.

Extremism is never a good thing. Just as a tree has a season of growth, a season of change, a season of rest, things happen in stages for a reason.

Everyone can start the unplugging process; for some, it started when pay started dropping and hours at work were cut, overtime banned.

Necessarily, energy-efficient methods have been diligently sought and found by many. There are many to explore, implement, and exhaust before the "final move" may even be possible.

God certainly knows where each of us is and I don't believe one answer is right for everyone, due to different destinies, skills, talents, desires, or areas of experience/expertise.

I do know there will be a need for compassion, skills, and strength whether one lives in metro areas, suburbs, or out in the rural areas.

Every one of us has a role, and not all are the same.

join