It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Top Kill" Has Failed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

"Top Kill" Has Failed

beforeitsnews.com

Here's the scoop: BP's attempt to stop the oil spill using the "Top Kill" method has failed.

How do I know?

Well, as the New York Times notes:

BP officials, who along with government officials created the impression early in the day that the strategy was working, disclosed later that they had stopped pumping the night before when engineers saw that too much of the drilling fluid was escaping along with the oil.

Indeed, BP stopped pumping "mud" for more than 16 hours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well this is interesting.

I don't know how much weight to put into the story, the MSM will probably not air this if it's true until later next week.

What do you think ATS? Is this legit?

I really hope it's fails and that the top kill is effective. This leak needs to stop now to prevent even further damage to our environment and the residents of the gulf.

~Keeper

beforeitsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/28/2010 by tothetenthpower]

Mod Edit: Adding additional source link upon member request:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 5/29/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well, got to say I'm not surprised, disappointed though.

After BP was forced to admit yesterday that the SPEW was occurring

at a 5x pace faster than they were reporting, this is going to end up doing

more damage to the Eco-system, and Gulf Coastline, than any thing

so called Terrorist could hope for.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't believe anything if beforeitsnews is the only source for it. ANYONE can post a story on that site. Only requires a free registration.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If this is true all I have to say is Damn. There has to be some way to stop that. Granted, the oil is bad, but the thing that is bothering me more is the possible build up of methane. Just have my fingers crossed that this report is wrong and hope that the TopKill plan worked.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I don't believe anything if beforeitsnews is the only source for it. ANYONE can post a story on that site. Only requires a free registration.

The did quote a NY times article though.

I'm still skeptical but I'm sure the good members of ATS will dissect it if it's a hoax.

I actually kind of hope it does get moved to the HOAX forum.

~Keeper

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
CNN pretty much stated yesterday the slim chance that this Top Kill and Junk Shot thing were going to work. The whole situation just floors me. They can drill, but not cap. There's no worst case scenario protocol even after the Exxon Valdez. The government is taking their sweet old time doing much of anything. It just doesn't feel like the situation has been handled aggressively or that it has been viewed as gravely as it should. The disappointment I feel is...uncomfortable and painful.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Larry King interviewed T. Boone Pickens last night. He is Chair of BP Hedge Fund. He also said he doubted it would work. Pickens also stated the real operation behind the scene all along is the drilling of relief wells that have been going gang busters.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Why does this have to be so complicated?

What could have been done by now is to make a large heavy conical section with the largest radius able to cover the leak, the smaller opening of proper size for fitting to heavy piping sections which are in plentiful supplies everywhere, and of sufficient diameter.

Each pipe section is connected to the next with a flexible section until it is long enough to reach from the surface to the conical section now covering the leak with the oil and gas spewing from the smaller opening, attach the piping to the small opening slowly with ROVs and all of that crap will come through the pipes to the surface... Then they can figure out what to do with it from there.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Why does this have to be so complicated?

NYT columnist David Brooks was on PBS' News Hour this evening, and he made some very good comments about complexity:

JIM LEHRER: How do you explain that, David, that -- that there is this feeling now that people are saying, my goodness? It's the old moon shot. Now, my God, we can send people to the moon, but we can't shut this hole in the bottom of the ocean?

DAVID BROOKS: Yes. Well, some things are really, really hard. I mean, one of the things that has happened is that we now base our lives and our civilization on incredibly complicated systems. The financial market is incredibly complicated, drilling holes in -- miles down in the ocean, incredibly complicated systems. And we charge people to run these systems, when they really can't evaluate the risks very well. They are so complicated, they are beyond comprehension. So, if you look at the decisions that were actually made on the platform in the hours up, they had some tests which they didn't know whether they were right or not. Should they recirculate the mud in the right way? Should they cement the hole? Did they do that in the right way? And you had people making decisions based on certain risk assessments which were completely wrong. And we have seen this before. We saw it in the financial markets. We saw it in the Challenger explosions. People were -- we're based on incredibly complicated technical systems that we do not understand. And in these circumstances, we are often vastly overconfident about how much...

JIM LEHRER: How we can do that.

DAVID BROOKS: ... we can control. And people take risks, and you get disasters.

www.pbs.org...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by cagliostro]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I bet it fails .... TPTB want to nuke the damn thing.

If they do its just gonna make it worse and may set off an earthquake.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Top Kill Continued
May 28, 2010 - 7:07 PM | by: Maggie Kerkman
Tonight we received new details on how the “top kill” procedure is working. That’s the effort to plug the well in the Gulf oil spill by filling it with drilling mud. There have been stories flying around all day—‘They’re doing “top kill;” They’ve stopped; They’re doing it again.’ Tonight BP COO Doug Suttles explained that the company’s engineers will pump mud for a period of time, then analyze results. They’ll also inject --“junk shot” -- rubber, metal and other debris along with the mud in an attempt to further slow down the flow of oil into the Gulf. Starting, stopping and starting again, Suttles says, is nothing unusual. They hope to eventually cap the mud and junk with cement.

So how’s it going? BP will only say that the process continues and that it will continue over the next 24-48 hours. The company made similar statements in recent days. Suttles explains this by saying the process is slow going—they don’t want to rush it—and that they will continue “top kill” as long as they think it has a possibility of working.

liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com...

I don't trust any of the MSM but just like working over a dead person as an EMT, You got to put on a good show to make it look like you tried.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

The did quote a NY times article though.

I'm still skeptical but I'm sure the good members of ATS will dissect it if it's a hoax.

I actually kind of hope it does get moved to the HOAX forum.

~Keeper

You might find it interesting that I caught a breaking news story the other day on MSNBC stating just that... Top Kill Failed. It was a news headline for no more than 5-10 mins then altered to read something along the lines of 24-48 hours. FYI

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Americanist]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
You might find it interesting that I caught a breaking news story the other day on MSNBC stating just that... Top Kill Failed. It was a news headline for no more than 5-10 mins then altered to read something along the lines of 24-48 hours. FYI

Yes, exactly.

I saw it mentioned too, and then it disappeared.

coverup...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wonder how they plan to nuke it if they do. What if when they nuke it, it just makes a bigger hole and pollutes the whole ocean. I beleive the nuke option is terrifying. Lets try the golfball option again, I'm sure the BP CEO has more than enough equipment for that job again. THANK YOU BP for the pollutants, DEATH AND DISEASE just around the corner. All plants,fish,animals will die. Guess where all the dead stuff go? To the beach. A sesspool of death. THANKS BP.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have to say, I share your sentiments. I want this to be wrong.

Sadly, I suspect that this is going to prove to have been a futile effort. BP's (or rather the oil industry's) so-called "expertise" has been found 'wanting.'

A friend of mine had suggested that the correct approach to this situation was to have sent in a US Navy to monitor and report the situation, rather than allow the profiteers to spin a yarn of what was going on down there.

As this tragedy began to unfold it seemed evident to me that BP's range of first reactions was intended to protect their prospect of salvaging the oil recovery capability of the well. And I wouldn't be surprised if their goal still isn't to permanently and irrevocably seal the well.

We may have more problems than this one leak, although the MSM seems reticent to address that probability. And I would have only trusted the word of the military that such is not the case (perhaps why BP has been given territorial dominion over the area.) Thus far, BP has been given near-royalty status in the matter; by all rights they should be in receivership until this matter is resolved.

Probably sounds silly and paranoid... but hey; somebody's got to say it.

I heard today on NPR a rationalization that this "company" (read 'cartel') was correct not to tell the 'whole story' and essentially keep secrets, because of the effect that it had on the market. To put it succinctly,the commenter asserted that we should accept that the protection of their trading assets (legally) outweighed the value of the truth regarding the magnitude of this carelessness. Another commenter told us that we shouldn't expect anyone, let alone the government, to have such expertise and capacity as to cope with this situation, that it's a "first" and a "worst case scenario" likening them to the Challenger tragedy or the Exxon Valdez 'accident.' He failed, however, to point out that the unpredictability of those tragedies can be characterized by a drunken sailor and a cheaply made but highly priced O-ring.

Well, unless people can prove they can deal with such situations, why on earth are we allowing them to risk this scenario..., to get rich? This attitude of profit and 'the duty' to shareholders myth has gotten us in a world of trouble.... again....

Unimaginably, this began with an actual effort to resist properly categorizing this as a catastrophe, except by those most hurt. (Which is to say nothing of nature, to which BP's stewardship is shamefully lacking.)

It's heartbreaking that Louisiana has been there before, and as recently as Katrina.

This episode is as grotesque as the 911 tragedy. Their idea of a "superfund" to deal with this is a joke. And they're taking the money from us via taxation.

Sorry... it's been a bad day.... I should sleep.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by glitchinthematrix

Same thing happened 30 years ago in Mexico / gulf coast and didn't get closed for 9 months , same old tactics used today as were used then, same outcome, anyone wanna guess this gets old in the news and goes away like the last one and continues for 9 months........ I BET IT WILL.

anyway same old crap, same old government same old same old...... FOLLOW THE MONEY, nothing changes but the date.

See for yourself Video

[edit on 28-5-2010 by svpwizard]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
BP doesn't care about you or the ocean. All they care about is profit. So who do you think will pay for the cleanup and the loss of oil? Hmmm, let me think, YOU WILL. Gas prices will go up. Yet again, America to pay the bill while the fat cats sit back and collect. Lets just ruin the rest of whats left and charge em for it. TOP KILL FAILED. I said it failed two days ago and the topic was pulled emediately. WHY? Way to go BP for ruining the ocean. THANKS for the pollutants, cain't wait to see the effects when it hits the beaches. THE SMELL OF DEATH. How are they going to fix this problem? I have no ideas. This is a catastrophy.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by svpwizard

How did they fix it and what happened? GIVE ME A LINK.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Blows my mind they completely walked away from the dome idea because it freezed up.

All they have to do is keep it warm enough (snuggie, hot pockets?) till they can place it, hook up and start pumping off the excess pressure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join