It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Realistic "zombie" outbreak via a 28 days later kind of disease

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
the movie DEAD heat has been on for a few weeks now, with joe pisccapo! 1988. 2 detectives die and get re animated via a lightning science machine that re animates the brain and flesh afte death, but htey couldnt stop the decomposition process* it was the last movie im aware of, vincent price starred in.
off note..thier was the blob, 1989. that one was a government biological weapon that crashed back to earth from satellite orbit, and ate people as it grew bigger n bigger. wonder if something like that could ever be developed* a supersized germ*

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
how about a virus that turns people into zombies and after decomposition they become "blobs" or "super germs" after time they could collectively form into one super blob. then earths winter sets in.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sorry, no such thing as a "realistic" zombie outbreak. They don't exist, this is what we call "fiction". Something we see in the movies.

Seriously, aren't there better things to think/worry about than this?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Your thinking may be flawed, if said infected start to act as animals do.
Most animals will not eat something they sense is infected, in fact some of the animal kingdom use the sickly roll over and play dead defense against predators.
So if the infected were to find another infected individual they may just say ewww gross.
Just a thought.
But either way the zombies would thin down and eventually only be able to go after non infected.
But just like Zombieland I totally agree with Woody Harrelson, we would need a steady supply of Twinkies.

(Edit) Because I'm old and forgetful.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Shelter in place".

Harry Cooper was right all along. The basement was the safest place.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Wertdagf

But just like Zombieland I totally agree with Woody Harrelson, we would need a steady supply of Twinkies.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by g146541]

twinkies and beer and shotgun shells. if you figure how to convert a gas generator into a hydrogen generator. z-day would be all about storing ice cream. if a close friend or family member became a zombie i would probably bound and freeze them.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

Now your thinking is flawed, keep the relatives out of said freezer and put the Twinkies in as it will help preserve them.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

I would try to break open the PAWN SHOP near my house, and head for the tallest building in Miami. Simple.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rocketman70433

I live in LasVegas, so numbers and compactness is going to be a real issue. But light and effective is the best approach for runners in my opinion. A bag with a tent food and water and first aid and ammo and books, flashlight and lanterns. Light axe and machete one on the each side and 2 pistols one 40. cal and one 45 cal. Ofcourse, light body armor of some kind for the hands and forearms and shins and make sure you got good shoes. Don't be curious...my rule; i have half of that list right now lol by the way.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
i would raid the sporting goods store right down the road and get a mini-14, a tactical 12 guage shotgun, two model 1911 45. pistols and fill a bunch of duffel bags with ammunition. then i would go home barricade the doors and windows keeping me, my wife, and a few trusted and likeminded friends with me.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
A medic friend of mine showed me this book one time, and I had to read it. Pretty good publication, and it does spark the creative side of sit x.

Any how, if this toic is ofinterest to you all, then the following may be right up your alley. The first edition and what appears to be a newer reprint.

The additonal book "World War Z", is suggested as well.

The Zombie Survival Guide, written by American author Max Brooks and published in 2003, is a survival manual dealing with the potentiality of a zombie attack. It contains detailed plans for the average citizen to survive zombie uprisings of varying intensity and reach, and describes "cases" of zombie outbreaks in history, including an interpretation of Roanoke Colony.
Zombie Survival Guide

reprint w/ pdf download

They have attacked Roman armies. The French Foreign Legion. Even prehistoric man. The undead have been a threat to humankind for millennia, and the living must always fight to survive.
They're coming. And they're hungry.

Recorded Attacks

Brooks plays the role of an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission who published the novel a decade after the Zombie War. The United Nations left out much of his work from the official report, choosing to focus on facts and figures from the war rather than individual stories; these form the bulk of the novel. The interviews chart a decade-long war against zombies from the view point of many different people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the changing religious, geo-political, and environmental aftermath of the Zombie War.
World War Z

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
if humanity survives the z-era then so does it's history and spirituality. our ancestors have survived, adapted and conquered much for us to learn from. those who do survive, adapt and conquer tell their descendants of their victory. weather man creates undead, or unseen forces create undead, one must be ready

"crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women"

-conan the barbarian-

the sword needs not be reloaded

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rocketman70433

Hello rocketman!

In the event of a zombie apocalyse, I would gather up my most useful friends and head first off to the post office. We would break in and take the keys to one of the large postal trucks. This would transport all of us safely to our next destination. K-mart.
Yes, K-mart would be the best place to go for all of your zombie survival needs.
Once inside, we would all go off in pairs to diffrent departments to grab the essentials for surving the new world. Sporting goods would give us all of the weapons and gear we would need. Guns, ammo, knives, chainsaws, rope, protective vests/jackets, cross bows, etc. The food section is full of nonperishable canned stuff, so we would need to grab some tupperware totes (for easier transport) and have each person fill their own up with as much food and drink as possible. The tote could also be their seat in our postal truck.
We'd go to the pharmacy and stock up on: anibiotics, vitamins, pain killers, Xanax, first aid kits, splints and bandages and whatever else might be of particular use. I'd have each person grab a backpack and fill them up with diffrent medicines and pharmacutical guides.
Next, we'd make a quick stop in the clothing department to make sure all of us had hoodis to wear when it gets cold. Those pants with side pockets that can zip off into shorts would be a good idea to get. And warm socks!
On our way out, I'd steal as many cartons of cigarettes as I could carry! Also, I'd make sure to get some zippo's, flint and butane fluid. And most importantly a map of the US and Canada!
Then my friends and I would load up the zombie proof van and decide which secluded mountain palace to barricade our selves in and make our home.
I would look for a place that first, was free of zombies. The property should have some kind of wall built around it. Or be up high, like in a highrise building with the bottom floor blocked off. You could use the roof of a high rise to collect rain water once the taps stop working. You could also plant and grow your own fruits and veggies up there in large flower pots. Also available at K-mart.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This thread sounds like fun. I'll give in...

I'm about to place my order for The Zombie Survival Guide (I was told some time back that it's a good read, however seriously or ''tongue-in-cheek'' it's interpreted.

What would I do? Firstly, I'd have to consider baby son and wifey. Being the in UK. Firearms are very, very difficult to obtain so the immediate protection from any localised threat would have to be support by improvised weapons and means of protection.

Depending on the state of the electronic communication, the level of information broadcasted via television or radio may be disrupted. I would try to adopt a battery powered radio for any emergency calls or any localised broadcasts. I'd have to safeguard the initial stresses and shock that my wife would understandably be prone to on accepting this very plausible scenario. So it would be important for me to create a ''stable as possible'' environment in the house.

If we consider that the infected may be very mobile, agile and extremely efficient at killing, it would rule out a number of options. So the likely choice for me, considering my land, position of house and view point, would be to barricade against intrusion or tresspass. I have the luxury of high fencing, ample trees in the garden, stored timber and tools that would give me the ability to construct make-shift protection to reinforce the existing. I would do this by ensuring that I have ease of view to the outside including a fail-safe means to exit house should there be a breach of integrity by the infected.

My open fire place for keeping warm (if in the wintery season) doesn't present a problem if services are down and the chimney is too small for human access.

Food would naturally be rationed and water (assuming tap feed is no longer available) would present a problem once my normal supply is gone, however, a river is present less than 1km away. The question of course is how long we make provisions last for and how great the risks are in order for me to obtain water?

To be honest there are too many scenarios that would dictate any number of decisions at any one time. If situation x became a gradual process and information is broadcast over a consecutive number of days, then time is on your side to prepare as much as you can, but if the luxury of information is not presented swiftly enough and you're confronted by a physical danger without foreknowledge - how do you react? So many possibles and what ifs.

My instinct would be to go into lock down and barricade against all intrusion while observing the most effective means of survival by rationing and maintaining emotional stability. The ''ride it out'' option so to speak. It's probably the more selfish option, but with a child and wife to protect - it's an option I must adopt before I even consider helping others.

Depending on how long supplies last and how long I take shelter for, evetually re-stocking would be inevitable. If the infected are symptomatic of the charactistics seen with lethal viruses then 'hopefully' within a few weeks they should be dead, or at least reduced to a number that would make movement or travel less of risk. Calculated manouvres and strategic stopping points would have to be made. A military base is within a 3 mile proximity and might have sufficient means of shelter, supplies or better still, an armoury. I would probably have to pick a safe place and observe the base from before making contact in open territory as there would essentially be no means of knowing if the base in an actively infected area or not. A possible reccy may be in order. After that, there's no telling. IF I'm THAT lucky!

[edit on 7-7-2010 by BAZ752]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
can they have swords in the u.k.? a sword would be equally useful in a zombie situation. heck if i were in the u.k. i would be most prone to a cricket bat. they have a bigger head than the u.s. baseball bat.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
has a more contagious form of rabies been mentioned yet? a la Quarantine (good movie, imo)
that, to me, sounds pretty devastating.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
one aspect about zombies that i believe isn't messed with too often is necromancy. advanced rabies is clever, but what about necromancy?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The only problem about going to a sporting goods store or anything of that nature is that everyone else has the exact same idea. And since its a survive or die situation im sure no one would hesitate to kill you and take your gear for their own survival.

swords dont need reloading but require close contact
arrows can be recoverd
im sure fire would eventualy take them out

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cyromac

have you ever seen a scottish claymore? in a zombie situation against uncoordinated, unarmored assailants with a razor sharp tempered scottish claymore, there is some distance created between the swordsman and a crowd of zombies

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
A good quality AK varient with as much ammo as I can carry, plus a machette strapped to my thigh. I wanna go down swinging. Like the my baseball coach used to say " at least you got your cuts in". Don't really want to survive z-day, sit-x fine, but not a z-day. No one you can trust, anyone can be turned. i am paranoid enough, without having to worry about who went where and for how long, I am already wondering how long you would have to quarantine a expedition party to ensure they didn't get infected, before you let them back into the survivors' camp.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join