It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Realistic "zombie" outbreak via a 28 days later kind of disease

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I hope this wasn't posted already. I didn't find any search results that took this approach.

Realistically, zombies are not going to pop out the ground. Dead things are not going to suddenly become reanimated & start eating human flesh.

But a disease that turns people into insane, blood thirsty creatures is possible. All it would take is something that can hit the brain & cause major damage. Syphilis eats your brain, if it would hit the right spots, couldn't that make you go nuts?

So lets assume these "zombies" will still be living people, the infected. Would the infected just target humans? Or would anything with a pulse be fair game? Would they have the same chase instinct that bears have?

The infected, since they are still living & breathing, would be able to run. I imagine their urge to feed would over-ride their body. So I think they'd be able to haul some steam over a long distance without stopping.

These won't be the shamblers in the romero or shaun of the dead movies. These are gonna be all out runners, like in "zombieland". Food is going to be a huge problem. You couldn't trust animals b/c there's a chance one could be infected. We'd have to become strictly herbivores, which would go against our nature. With the fast zombies, farming for food, or going for supplies is going to be even harder.

So what are your plans? We probably wont have to worry about head shots, as long as we hit something vital, like the heart. But we wont be able take our time, secure in the fact that a simple jog would let us out-run a zombie.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This conversation actually comes up allot among my group of friends.

The plan, as agreed upon goes like this (bear in mind I'm from the UK and firearms are not in abundance)

-Collect as many supplies as possible.

-Find or make temporary weapons.

-Make our way to the local army recruitment centre (which has an armoury)

-Stock up, lock and load.

-Secure defensive position/armoured vehicle.

-Search for survivors.

In most hypothetical runs of this we die on our way to the armoury.

What would you do?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
There is already a disease that does this. It's rabies. Definition of Rabies It can produce 28 days later-like zombies on it's own, but imagine if some whack job decided to turn this nasty disease into a full blown biological weapon.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
1.) Cardio....do lots of cardio (the fatties who can't run get killed first)
2.) Double tap....always shoot it twice to make sure its dead.

....love Zombieland.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by wdkirk]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In this type of scenario i would:

1. Pack supplies for an extended period
2. Make sue all of my firearms are loaded and in proper working condition
3. Make sure my traveling party(family) is armed and ready
4. Head for a spot the is easy to defend and has only one point of access, get them all in a bottleneck

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There are many cases where people high on PCP have cannibalized others, it seems to be a recurring theme in usage of that drug. Seeing as chemists theoretically have the power to create custom strains, it is altogether possible fo an end of days zombi "apocalypse" to occur.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

I was thinking the exact same thing. Though rabies doesn't produce the exact effects of the "rage" virus from the "28" movies, it provides the framework for some sort of mutated or weaponized strain that is basically rabies on steroids. Let's hope this never comes to fruition.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Interesting and disturbing thought...rabies as a weapon. The death toll would be huge. Let's hope TPTB don't ever give this serious thought. .....

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
sounds too much like a few movie titles I've watched...

C.H.U.D., Resident Evil, and I Am Legend immediately come to mind...

but it is a viable theory all the same.

Was wondering, would these types of sub humans be able to access the web?.. wonder what they'd have to say... lol

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The week after I watch I Am Legend I saw something about actual aids cure research toying with the rabies virus... I'm not sure if this was it but I know the time proximity:

Further Progress Toward AIDS Vaccine: Rabies-Virus Vaccine Protects Monkeys
ScienceDaily (Dec. 26, 2009) — Researchers from Thomas Jefferson University are one step closer to developing a vaccine against the AIDS disease.

Led by Matthias J. Schnell, Ph.D., director of the Jefferson Vaccine Center, the researchers found that a rabies virus-based vaccine administered to monkeys protected against the simian equivalent of the HIV virus (SIV). The data were published in the journal Vaccine.

The researchers previously showed that a rabies-based vaccine expressing HIV and SIV antigens protective against a chimeric HIV/SIV virus in monkeys. In this study, they used highly attenuated rabies virus vaccine vectors to protect against challenge with the highly pathogenic SIVmac251. This type of SIV virus causes a more similar disease in monkeys compared to human infection with HIV-1. In addition, it is difficult to protect monkeys against AIDS-like disease after challenge with SIVmac251.

Two vaccine strategies were used: immunization with a recombinant rabies virus expressing SIVmac239GagPol, or a combination of that and a rabies virus expressing SIVmac239Env. Both strategies induced neutralizing antibody production, CD8+ T cell responses, and increased protection. Although the combination with Env helped immediately following the infection, the long-term benefits were minimal. However, it was surprising that the rabies-based vaccine was able to induce such potent anti-SIV humoral responses.

"Although we can't yet block the infection, we showed that we can protect against disease," said Dr. Schnell. "We also saw significant antibody activity against the virus, which is promising. In addition, this is a very simple approach that only took two immunizations."

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
1.) Cardio....do lots of cardio (the fatties who can't run get killed first)
2.) Double tap....always shoot it twice to make sure its dead.

....love Zombieland.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by wdkirk]

I gotta say you're not exactly right with number one... It is people who tend to put their back towards every venue that gets eaten first... then suddenly get back up as a Zombie... I should know, I've seen a lot of Zombie movies...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Speaking of the Rabies virus... an engineered version of the rabies virus infected all of the people in an apartment building in the movie Quarantine. The infected people were very zombie-like, extremely aggresive, and murderous blood-thirsty. Pretty scary if this strain exists 0_0

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
oh scarey thought, but fun

I would ensure not trip whilst running clumsily away ( always seems to happen people)

Stay away from basements, tunnels and anywhere dark.

Always go out in pairs, so if we are being chased by zombies i can trip the other person to hopefully slow the zombies down abit, not very moral but hey im being chased by zombies!

Find a boat and supplies.

Oh and not be fooled by a zombie kid, doesnt matter what age they are dont let that hinder your killing reaction time. Also if a loved one has been infected kill them straight away, dont be stupid and wait until they turn violent.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
One critical strategy in both Zombieland and 28 days later is to wait out the initial frenzy. In both movies the main characters did this sort of accidentally (recluse shut-in and coma).

Sun Tzu would say let your enemies destroy each other.

So survival strategy #1 is to always be prepared, stocked up, and ready to batten down the hatches to ride out the initial rampage.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Why are zombies always so fussy? They crave flesh/brains but they have to have it fresh? Even if people got something like the rage virus, what stops them attacking each other?

I would love for a zombocalypse, just for something different

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I wanna play - but only if I can have 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' as my theme music. Then try to save the world with terrifically painful needles in the victims stomachs ~ ouch.....

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
i would go to my gun cabinet and get a full choke 12 guage shotgun

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
zombies eat brains?
I'd dress up like george bush

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
why wouldnt they first begin attacking each other....

see that one concept ruins yoru WHOLE senario. All the healthy people only need to hide while the agressive insane infected gleefully run into the streets looking for a fight.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
God i LOVE a good zombie topic
my favorite of all

well rabbies is fatal thats the drawback. you will eventualy die in a few days completely from it. zombies* like 28 days alter seem to go on and on. yuode think though, for example in dawn of the dead..sooner or later the zombies felsh would have completely decompsed. i always found the one fatal mistake the peoplein the mall made, was leaving it. all they had to do was use the sewers to collect supplys, and stay inside for about a year and a half*
CHUD was always my faovirte as a kid!! canablistic humanoid undergroundd weller, or i forget the CH part,---urab disposal was the proper terminology for it. the government was secretly dumping toxic wast into the sewers and homeless people came into contact with it, mutating them.
thier was also return of the living dead 1985... tarman* as the zombie is known as. military had kept people locked up in oil drum containers with digital codes ontop in a toxic gas called Trioxin* when a body was burned and cremeated, TRioxon rained down from the clouds into the lcoal cemetary, casung brain eating zombies to rise.
Thier is also day of the dead the remake, 2008. military doctors made a program file called wildfire* it was supposed to be a way of putting the enemy to sleep for hours so they could be taken over, without killing anyone. unfortunatley it mutated, causing living people t become infected and turn into flesh ripping zombies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join