It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school.

Orange County's Santa Ana College says the controversial new memorial scholarship will be funded by private donations and honors former student Tan Ngoc Tran, a student leader and immigrant-rights activist who transferred to Brown University before she was killed by a drunk driver on May 15.

Students eligible for the new scholarship must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average, demonstrate a financial need and must also be trying to become an American citizen. Those eligible include students holding green cards, students who have permanent residency — and illegal, undocumented immigrants.

I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

Can they do that? I was always under the impression that doing something to aid someone in commission of a crime was criminal. Surely this would fall under aiding and abetting.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yea they can do this because they will be allocating private funds for this to occur. But the only issue is that since this is a Community/State/Local funded institution and harboring those in direct violation of the state laws would be noted to have State funds from supporting this institution. One Lawmaker has proposed this and has plenty of support behind such measure.

Laws are laws, and if a community institution is going to support such a scholarship, then the lawmakers have the authority to withdraw support of that school.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I agree they should, but why would they? The state is in a state of economic disaster, but they will just appropriate more funds (obtained as debt) to schools like this to ensure illegals get their 'fair chance at the American Dream.'

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

American dream is also sought by those who parents are not able to meet the demands of today's education. Those that chose instead to look for laborious work instead of pursuing an higher education.

State lawmakers are threatening to take away appropriations from this school for their scholarship proposal. That building is owned/paid by taxpayers. If the taxpayers in that state disagree with this, the institution has to respect the taxpayers and lawmakers. This is not a decision they can do on their own.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

must also be trying to become an American citizen

I believe this is one of the most important lines of the whole article. I very little sympathy for people that come here illegally, but I know there's a lot of children who don't have a say in what their parent's did. Also as most college students are at least 18, and therefore legal adults, then I applaud them for doing the right thing and attempting to become a legal citizen. Also since this is coming from private funds versus state/fed, makes a big difference to me.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by crafty_gnome]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
At first I though oh what a bunch of BS!!!

Then I read the golden clincher.

They have to have a 3.0 average or better to qualify.

This means they MUST KNOW ENGLISH.

So this is a start. A good start.

At least these illegals know English.

This is actually almost worth just leaving it alone and worrying about more pressing issues.

It also said they have to be in the process of getting a green card or citizenship.

So this is no where near as horrific and terrible as the title of the thread insinuates.

It does piss me off that some illegal gets to go to college in the USA while many American born citizens cannot get a opportunity to go.

IMHO the scholarships should have to go to American born kids first.

I even think that legal foreign students should take 2nd row to American citizens in American Universities.

So Scholarships should be handed out in this order.

American born citizens > Legal Immigrants > Foreign Nationals

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I guess if you break it apart there are a few seemingly good points.

There are two main points that are the key issues.

First, that they even allow illegals into schools.

Second, they give them any money.

My stance on illegals, adults or children who grew up here, is that they should all be sent back. ZERO amnesty. They MUST go back to their country of origin.

People say 'but their parents brought them here, they had no choice.' Yeah, that sucks, but they need to take that up with their parents. If I steal something and give it to my kid, when the cops find out, my kid doesn't get to keep it because they weren't the ones to steal it. These illegals have stole the privilege to be here.

Sorry, no sympathy.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Let's see here....

What kind of "person" or entity would give PRIVATE DONATIONS via a Community College to encourage ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS to get an education here in the U.S.?

It's safe to assume that these "people" or entities do not wish to use that money to educate LEGAL CITIZENS who might need help. What about the poor American who needs a scholarship?

Nope, set up funds for Illegals and their education...awesome.

And hey, what about that American kid who needs money to get a job to help pay for books and supplies......OOPS....he/she tried getting a job hammering nails but an Illegal has it now....he/she tried getting a job in a restaurant...but NOPE...an Illegal has it now....he/she tried getting all the jobs an 18 year old is qualified to start at entry level at....AND THEY"RE ALL GONE.

And to top it all off, his/her neighborhood school is giving cash to Illegals to go to school.

If that isn't a spit in the face, I have no clue what is. Way to go America!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"At least these illegals know English." End Quote

We're talking about a College in California, So, How much English do you think they need to understand?

The fund would be better served for the poor legal immigrant, who is more than likely busting their A$$ to pay for tuition and books and supplies and more than likely from legal immigrant family with mare kids getting about college age.

Yes, the path to naturalization should be part of the agreement package for the grant.
Those are just my thoughts, and I know, I've been called a Racist, Nazi and yes RETARDED today.

top topics

join