It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live in Florida, should I be worried?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I live in Jacksonville, Florida. Up on the far northeast side of the state between the St. Johns river and the Atlantic Ocean.

I have been reading several threads recently talking about the contamination that will get in the air and water that will poison people. I am asking for not only myself but for all other Florida ATS members and all of my friends and family.

Do we have something to worry about right now or anytime soon?
If so what should/could we do to protect ourselves?
What is the worst case scenario from the oil and toxic chemicals in the rain?
I use a private well for my home water, could it become contaminated and undrinkable?

I guess what I am really asking is... Do I have to worry and if so how much?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I live between Gulport, and Biloxi.. We have had no warnings here, but, I will tell you, I had a nosebleed today, which is something I haven't had in decades.

You can smell the oil in the air here, and I am about 6 miles from the beach.

Could I have something else wrong? Possibly. Who knows, although my nose bleed was a gusher! I was walking around in the grocery store when it happened, and no, I do not put anything up my nose!

The tap water still seems fine, no unusual taste, but the salt sea air is not the same. It smells really different.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I have been wondering how this would affect humans. I'll be watching this thread. I hope that things go ok for you, your family and anyone else out there.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I am sick to my stomach over this. I have wrote to the president several times about the oil spill. I live in Ohio but have lived in Pensacola and vacationed in Panama City and Pensacola over the years. I have stood on the the white beaches and watched dolphins right off of the coast. I have picked sandollars out of the clear water. The thought that this oil could ruin this place I love so much makes me sick. Not to mention the people there, they are great. They are always friendly and welcome you.
I can not believe they have let this go on so long. I think the results of this long term are going to be catrastrophic. The adminstration should have asked the world for help, any one that would help and had the knowledge to do so. This should never have been left to BP.
I remember when Iraq invaded Kuwait and set all the oil wells on fire, they got that put out, it took time but it was done. We should have asked for help.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was talking to my uncle and he told me that if the oil makes it up the east coast it will enter the St. Johns river since it flows north. It also would enter a major ostuary that feeds the fresh water in the southeast.

I was pretty afraid especially since this week we are getting rain every day for 7 days and it is coming from the Gulf, I don't want to go out in it or get in my pool until someone on ATS I can trust tells me it's okay because I don't trust the media or the government.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I live on Anna Maria Island, just south of Tampa Bay......tuesday they are having a meeting about the effects on tourism and safety here in Manatee county. I'll let you know what they say.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Perhaps you should get a few soil/water etc samples tested now , and again perhaps in a few months ....

See if there has been any noticeable differences .

Just a thought.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
reply to post by Misoir

Perhaps you should get a few soil/water etc samples tested now , and again perhaps in a few months ....

See if there has been any noticeable differences .

Just a thought.

Great idea I will do that tonight. I have some plants in the back yard, small little garden of peanuts, tomatoes and watermellons and I'm affraid to eat them now.

REPLY TO 'adifferentbreed'

Please. I would love to know what they say. Thank you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There is no safe place to run to.

Every inch of Earth is contaminated in some way. And if it's not contaminated, there is probably some horrific laws or locals that will make it seem equally as bad.

Point is, don't bother running. No matter where you go, you are screwed.

Might as well enjoy life now while it is here. Who cares where the hell you are at. Just have fun while life is still half-decent!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I was talking to my uncle and he told me that if the oil makes it up the east coast it will enter the St. Johns river since it flows north. It also would enter a major ostuary that feeds the fresh water in the southeast.

I was pretty afraid especially since this week we are getting rain every day for 7 days and it is coming from the Gulf, I don't want to go out in it or get in my pool until someone on ATS I can trust tells me it's okay because I don't trust the media or the government.

How far do you think it will go? Rivers go to the ocean, not the other way around. It's not like an electrical current.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I believe the government will begin evac within a month.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Hello Misoir.

If you have something to worry about then I do too. I live in Brunswick which is about 50 minutes from you.

As you probably know we have the Atlantic and many rivers and marsh all over Glynn County. My home is right by the marsh.

Right now I am concerned with the future of the oil spill on our area.

My plan of action is to observe and wait and see what happens by the middle of next week.

I have been studying the currents and feel we may be out of harms way unless we have a tropical storm or hurricane. Then it's a new ball game.

The ocean and rivers have always been my favorite play ground. When I think what could happen I get a bit ill.

This is a time when I am depending on ATS to keep us posted with the latest news and alerts. I don't trust the MSM to be a truthful source of information.

I'll be at the marina this weekend and will see what the 'Old Captains' have to say about the situation.

If it is OK I am adding you to my friends list and will let you know if I hear anything in my area. I would appreciate a heads up from your area also.

I feel like I am dieing a little everyday when I think of the death of all the sea creatures, birds and other animals this spill will and is now causing.

No panic is necessary as what is going to be will be. We cannot stop it.
Hopefully big corporations will take this opportunity to develop an oil eater of some type.

Enjoy the holiday. I'll be on my boat all weekend taking pictures of our area as it is now.

May God bless and keep you in His Light

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Please study the tides.

When high tide is coming the oceans salt water flows into fresh water rivers. Then it's called brackish water, which means a mix of salt and fresh water.

The salt water goes inland for several miles before the river runs fresh again.

Yes, it very well could enter the rivers around Jax. as well as the fresh water rivers in my area.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I live in South Florida and I must admit I am a bit worried. I have been offshore fishing these waters for more than 20 years and I am afraid of what could happen.

What I fear is that the oil will find its way into the "Loop Current" in the Gulf of Mexico, which feeds directly into the Gulf Stream, which goes strait up the east coast of Florida, quite rapidly I might add. While fishing if you do not troll against the current, you -will- end up 50 miles or more further north.

The Gulf stream here varies from 10 miles offshore, to less than 5 miles offshore. It is the fishing grounds for Florida, which makes up quite a bit of our tourism here.

I fear that the oil, if not capped soon, will begin following the gulf stream. If that happens things will get much worse.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by xmaddness]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

How far do you think it will go? Rivers go to the ocean, not the other way around. It's not like an electrical current.

Actually, the St. John's river DOES flow north to Georgia. We here, in SC, have a joke: "Why does the St. John's river flow north? Cause Georgia sucks!" Kind of a college football rivalry thing, ya know? But, in all seriousness, it certainly does flow north.

Anyway, the plume is in the gulf stream now and as long as the "leak" isn't stopped, the further it will go around the tip of FL and up the eastern seaboard. Like I said, I'm in SC so I'll be looking out for what the FL ATS members say about it. I'm not sure how fast it's moving, but I don't think it's that fast.

Originally posted by xmaddness
What I fear is that the oil will find its way into the "Loop Current" in the Gulf of Mexico, which feeds directly into the Gulf Stream, which goes strait up the east coast of Florida, quite rapidly I might add.

It's already in the loop current unfortunately.

[edit on 28/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Me to, i wish you all well, but things are in turmoil, us on the other side of the atlantic have the threat of icelandic volcanos, all we can do is keep strong.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ok, so you're saying that it flows from the saltwater on up into other states, feeding saltwater into Georgia? Links please....

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I just heard from my son in Orlando and he works outside, he told me he feels very naucious and sick to his stomach. I am hoping it isnt anything to do with the air quality. He really isnt close to the beaches.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

You are so correct. My husband went to visit his cousin, who has a lot on Lake Pontchartrain, in LA. They could smell the oil off her porch. It has been backwashed by tide, or whatever, already well inland. These people live on that coast, and know, and nobody is talking about that.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

He's REALLY far from the beaches.

Today I went from central Tampa over the I-275 bridge over the Bay, on down to Downtown St. Pete near the water, then I went over the Sunshine Skyway bridge... with the windows rolled down the entire way... and all was fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join