It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Teleports Photons 10 Miles, Surpasses U.S./European Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

China Teleports Photons 10 Miles, Surpasses U.S./European Record

www.dailytech.com

Scientists at the University of Science and Technology of China and Tsinghua University were able to stream quantum information over 16 km of free space, approximately 10 miles. It's called teleportation, but the matter is not actually moved, instead the quantum state of an object is transferred to another (when something is done to the first object, it immediately happens to the second one).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
While it's not strictly teleporting in a scifi sense, it is still a fantastic achievement. Quantum entaglement and spooky action at a distance is one of the most interesting areas of science for me and any practical applications are just like magic.

Communication like this I am sure will be the core of long distance communication in the long term. Now if only they can expand on the knowledge and actually work out exactly what causes it.

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Can they make money off "communication like this?" Because if they can't tax it, they won't make this kind of technology available to you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
That is pretty impressive, with NASA's budget getting cut and DARPA's unlimited budget, any advances made might be kept silent by DARPA. If the ChiComs attained 10miles, DARPA might have already sustained that or even passed it. At least with the ChiComs coming out, we know what the progress has been thus far.

-Babar Sher

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Don't you worry my friend they will make money.

How long untill this is our way of transport
or will the oil companies buy them out?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueblue
reply to post by Portugoal

Don't you worry my friend they will make money.

Quantum "teleportation" is a misnomer (assuming you are using the normal sci-fi definition of "teleportation" here)...

en.wikipedia.org...

I know wiki links are frowned upon but the sources at the bottom seem sound enough.

What I would like to know though is whether it would be possible to simultaneously detect the position of one particle and the velocity of the other and whether doing so breaks the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueblue

I do not see this becoming a means of transport for eons. The complexityof relocating indivdual particles will be beyond us for a very long time.

What this does imply to me is that there is a fabric beneath our universe that is unrelated to 3D distances. Particles (photons and electrons) can be entangled and instantly connected 10 miles apart. Maybe wormholes or subspace travel might be realised sooner.

[edit on 28/5/10 by Shere Khaan]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Where I see this impacting us is in the communication industry.

Instant data transmission is the direction most of these are going to. No more off dubbed reporters, no more 5 second wait while they look stupid on air waiting for the question to reach them.

Also, no more 30 dot O or 100 dot O limitations on data transfer (it will most likely be regulated by legislation cause we wouldn't want the evil terrorist hackers to be able to do anything instantly now would we.)

Imagine the insta-movie industry (3D) as well as server-side 3D environments jacked into by all those with a propensity for virtual addictions to alternate realities (Everquest®, World of Warcraft®, The Sims®).

Little more ominous: Imagine how quickly Wall Street could be manipulated with insta-data.

It is certainly worth a little precaution, preparation, and planning. For it's one of those things that could go to the extremes on one side and/or the other.

EDIT: o.O...And let's not get into the RC (remote control) industries and oh so popular RC warfare.

Yeah, they'll definitely be raking it in everywhere.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by lagnar]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

S and F'd!

I reported a similar aarticle in my Quantum Wonders Thread but the distance there was 18 km and the speed was over 10 million times the speed of light!

Cementing the Swiss reputation for precision timing, in 2008 physicist Nicolas Gisin and his colleagues at the University of Geneva showed that, if reality and free will hold, the speed of transfer of quantum states between entangled photons held in two villages 18 kilometres apart was somewhere above 10 million times the speed of light (Nature, vol 454, p 861).

So this doesn't appear to be a first rather an affirmation.

So there is considerable potential here for some very fast communication using quantum entanglement! How this relates to teleportation, I'm not sure. I suppose one could say we have teleported a photon but why not just say we transferred the quantum states between entangled photons?

[edit on 28/5/10 by plumranch]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
All that tells me is that China stole the technology and know-how off the west (like they always do). Those guys are imitators, not innovators! I'd be highly suspicious of any claim coming out of that country.

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Also being discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join