It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.9 Million Gallons Per Day + Toxic Rain Say Tehran Based Press TV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

The British Petroleum oil spill is threatening the entire eastern half of the North American continent with "total destruction," reports say.

An ominous report by Russia's Ministry of Natural Resources warned of the impending disaster resulting from the British Petroleum (BP) oil and gas leak in the Gulf of Mexico, calling it the worst environmental catastrophe in all of human history, the European Union Times reported.

Russian scientists believe BP is pumping millions of gallons of Corexit 9500, a chemical dispersal agent, under the Gulf of Mexico waters to hide the full extent of the leak, now estimated to be over 2.9 million gallons a day.

Experts say Corexit 9500 is a solvent four times more toxic than oil.

The agent, scientists believe, has a 2.61ppm toxicity level, and when mixed with the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, its molecules will be able to “phase transition.”

This transition involves the change of the liquid into a gaseous state, which can be absorbed by clouds. The gas will then be released as “toxic rain” leading to “unimaginable environmental catastrophe” destroying all life forms from the “bottom of the evolutionary chart to the top,” the report said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I understand there are some posts on here regarding Russia, raining oil, and the spill being larger than made public. I found this article which could explain some things. Could this be proof of a drastic downplay of events, and an explanation of the slow response of both our (US) government and BP?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by SubPop79]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My guess is the truth lies somewhere between Iranian news and what the whitewashed corporate media of the US is spewing... (ahem scuse the pun).

I hope it is not as bad as all that.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET: Corexit 9500

WIKI: Corexit

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I am curious how BP would go about covertly pumping millions of gallons of this dispersant day in and day out without anyone noticing. Seems like something like that would be pretty easy to track and prove.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah I am going with the middle ground here.

2.9 million a day seems a bit over the top.

While 60,000 a day seems way too small to account for it.

So I am going with 1million barrels a day. This is a nice middle ground area that I feel is the best place to stand right now.

If this were The Price is Right, I would be making a very good bid right now.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I am curious how BP would go about covertly pumping millions of gallons of this dispersant day in and day out without anyone noticing. Seems like something like that would be pretty easy to track and prove.

Maybe, maybe not.

It depends if this information is public record or not.

My question is, where are they getting these millions of gallons of dispersant from? They would have to have a uber factory, or multiple regular factories to pump out this much product.

Also consider that at the same time, there are other oil spills globally that require dispersant products as well.

So where the hell is this dispersant from? There sure seems to be virtually mountains of the stuff.

Call me skeptical.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Experts say Corexit 9500 is a solvent four times more toxic than oil.

Another reason not to buy BP shares. The might be protected by Bush's laws as an oil company, but they're so called "solution" is going to cost them billions in U.S courts!!!
I mean can't they be sued for its chemical effects on both people, and wildlife?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
In my post Corexit is Killing the Gulf I have a lot of info including both dispersant MSDS's.

This is going to get really bad just wait and see.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

You've really been out of the loop.

This is all public info. BP are not doing this secretly, it's all in the open.

BP ordered to stop using toxic dispersant in Gulf oil clean-up
blogs.nationalgeographic.com...

UPDATE: BP Defends Dispersant After EPA Orders It Changed
online.wsj.com...

EPA May Allow BP's (NYSE:BP) Corexit Use
drippingoil.blogspot.com...

BP uses less dispersant on oil spill, reviews other products
www.ogj.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think we should all do a search for articles on the spill written by news sources in other countries. We might be able to counteract the disinformation and flat out lack or information by relying on sources outside the US.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm accually curious as to how this oil leak is affecting Mexico, their tourism and fishing industry ect. I haven't heard a peep out of them yet but I can imagine the leak AND the use of dispersants is going to have a tremendous effect on an already poor nation, or at least the poor of the nation.

Can you imagine how many people will be out of work and trying to (illegally) get into the States just as all these new laws on immigration are being passed?

Hmmm, what a coincidence...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That is not 2.9 million barrels, they were meaning 2.9 million gallons. Your quote of a million barrels would be 50 million gallons. The first leak was 5k barrels, the second leak was 8k barrels, and the third leak that blew the well head off in the past few days is estimated at 210k barrels a day. That would be 250k, 400k, and 10m gallons respectively. These all have been going on at the same time, they recently with the Top Kill device stopped the 5k barrel hole but that still leaves the other two.

This would equal a total of 51 million gallons of crude floating around the gulf at the moment with the 10 some odd million spilling per day from here on out. Also admittedly BP is spraying 70k gallons of CoreExit a day in the gulf with a total of 2.5m gallons, this is not including the CoreExit we have seen them spray on the live cam at the site of one of the holes. There could be double or triple the amount of dispersant going into the gulf as there is crude.

EDIT: also to add, how could they covertly be dumping dispersant? Do you live under the water? Do you know how much ocean floor there is? They already admitted to millions of gallons of dispersant being sprayed by plane, and there is video evidence of them pouring dispersant at the site of the leak... who knows how much they are pouring everywhere else.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Aziroth]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
2.9 Million US gallons of oil per day is equal to 69,047.619 barrels of oil per day. That is what this source is saying. That is 13.8095238 times larger than the VERY minimum estimate of 5,000 barrels. This has gone on for 38 days, so that would be 2,623,809.52 barrels of oil spilled so far.

This estimate would make it the 3rd worst oil spill in history.

Some say it may be 20 times larger, some say even more.

For the purpose of this thread, I am going to use a figure of 20 times larger than the 5,000 barrels. That is 100,000 barrels of oil per day, or 4,200,000 US gallons of oil per day. It has been going on for 38 days, so that would be 3,800 000 barrels of oil spilled, or 159,600,000 US gallons of oils spilled so far. THis makes it the 2nd worst oil spill currently.

At the current minimum estimate (5,000 barrels of oil per day), that is 190,000 barrels of oil spilled total, or 7,980,000 million US gallons of oil spilled.

My Question: Does this spill LOOK like a total of 190,000 barrels of oil?

My Opinion: F*** No!

Can anyone find information about the ecological impacts of the top 10 worst oil spills? Even though this thin isn't the largest, and won't be for at least another 38 days (probably more), it could still be the most destructive spill in history.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Also, Aziroth, could you provide me with a link about the sizes of the different leaks? Does anyone know if what the MSM (Mainstream Media? I'm new...) says about the size of the leak is pertaining to only ONE leak, and not all?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Here is a link, the riser, the wreckage, and the blowout preventer. Neither of these are the source for the new leak 6 miles away dumping in the neighborhood of 210k barrels will try to find that link but many many have posted about it here already.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Well call me simple...

Iranian propaganda.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
And how exactly do you define Iranian propaganda? This "propaganda" turns out to be less than the rumors of other "propaganda" going around. I don't believe the leak is 20 times bigger than what is being reported, but it sure as hell isn't 5,000 barrels per day. This "propaganda" that you claim is there has a total leaked oil estimate right in the middle of our minimum conservative estimate and the larger, hyped estimate. From what I see, this is neither propaganda blowing something out of proportion, or propaganda understating something. Therefore it is not propaganda. If you still think it is, then you should reevaluate your idea of propaganda, because it seems we do not need propaganda in this country, if the people themselves are blowing the information out of the water.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Could it get any worse? We seriously need all the help we can get asap! Get ExxonMobil, Dutch Royal Shell, the U.S. Navy, and take up Iran's offer to help. We need to save the oceans and the planet together. I don't care if this is the best possible scenario for the competing corporations, ExxonMobil and Shell, they should be obligated to help because this is their planet too.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another Thread about Corexit.

Link to their site: www.nalco.com...

And info from the MSDS, this stuff doesn't sound bad at all. It actually seems like the best option at this time.

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Actually becoming more and more of a fan of Corexit the more I read. Here are some quotes from the MSDS showing that it isn't considered harmful.

From the MSDS:

PRODUCT IS NOT REGULATED DURING TRANSPORTATION For Packages Greater Than 119 Gallons: Proper Shipping Name : COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID, N.O.S. Technical Name(s) : PETROLEUM DISTILLATES UN/ID No : NA 1993 Hazard Class - Primary : COMBUSTIBLE
Safe to transport. No special warnings.

None of the substances are specifically listed in the regulation. CLEAN AIR ACT, Sec. 111 (40 CFR 60, Volatile Organic Compounds), Sec. 112 (40 CFR 61, Hazardous Air Pollutants), Sec. 602 (40 CFR 82, Class I and II Ozone Depleting Substances) : None of the substances are specifically listed in the regulation.
No specifically harmful ingredients listed. Just typical classes of compounds.

OTHER INFORMATION Due to our commitment to Product Stewardship, we have evaluated the human and environmental hazards and exposures of this product. Based on our recommended use of this product, we have characterized the product's general risk. This information should provide assistance for your own risk management practices. We have evaluated our product's risk as follows: * The human risk is: Low * The environmental risk is: Low Any use inconsistent with our recommendations may affect the risk characterization.
Low Human Risk, Low environmental risk.

INHALATION : Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract. SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE : Acute : A review of available data does not identify any symptoms from exposure not previously mentioned. Chronic : Frequent or prolonged contact with product may defat and dry the skin, leading to discomfort and dermatitis. AGGRAVATION OF EXISTING CONDITIONS : Skin contact may aggravate an existing dermatitis condition
Takes repeated or prolonged exposure to get acute symptoms. Even then the main symptoms are only aggravation of existing dermatitis or breathing problems. There was no dangers listed for ingestion other than the danger of aspirating it back into the lungs.

4. FIRST AID MEASURES EYE CONTACT : Immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. SKIN CONTACT : Immediately wash with plenty of soap and water. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. INGESTION : Do not induce vomiting: contains petroleum distillates and/or aromatic solvents. If conscious, washout mouth and give water to drink. Get medical attention. INHALATION : Remove to fresh air, treat symptomatically. Get medical attention. NOTE TO PHYSICIAN : Based on the individual reactions of the patient, the physician's judgement should be used to control symptoms and clinical condition.

Treat by flushing with water, drinking water, and treating symptoms. No vomiting, no stomach pumping, not too many warnings. It even says for the physician to use their own judgement as to how much treatment of the symptoms should be given. Sounds less harmful than just about anything in my kitchen/bath/or garage.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been reading posts on here for some time. I really appreciate everyone who contributes on this site. For the most part everyone does a great job! Ok... now that we got that out of the way...

I went ahead and sent a couple of emails to the Russian Ministry of Natural Resources to try and verify if this report is in fact legit. I sent the email to three different wings of the agency, let's see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HarvestGroup

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I applaud you!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join