It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public nudity, for or against?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think there should be more nude option beaches, but I'm not for being nude just in regular public areas. Though if a crime, should be VERY minor really.

Also, I'm against the idea of nude minors in any capacity, even in nudist colonies. This needs to be the choice of an adult.

Personally, it's much more enjoyable to swim in the nude, and there really isn't much of a sexual connotation (which surprised me really, to be honest), but other than a nudist resort (which isn't my bag), there isn't anywhere around here legal to swim nude.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Definite in favor of it...

Clothes should be optional in all instances...

Why hide what God gave us?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

Why is it men in the summer, are allowed to walk down the street bare chested but if a woman does it, it is obscene!??? both have nipples, and some men have breasts, and hairy ones!!, I know which I would rather see walking down the street. its not sexual it aesthetics.

I have often wondered that myself. Some men have bigger breasts than some women, yet they can let them flap in the breeze with impunity. It makes no sense at all.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

EWWWWWWW

That is just disgusting...

True.. But disgusting no less...

Now I have to go poke my eyes out...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What can one say in this no-star territory but excellent post? And yes, SD's one-liner is truly a gem.

It's a great idea, having areas demarcated where people could wander around nude if they liked. It has to be great, even Gazrok likes it. But going by the nudist-colony experience they'd have to be nude-only areas for the comfort of the nudists; being gawped at by fully-clothed rubberneckers can't be fun. And once the novelty had worn off, would there be enough dedicated nudists to make a go of it? I fear the experiment will fail from want of participation.

Some ancient cultures, the Greek for example, had conventions of public decency much like modern ones but allowed public nudity on special occasions (chiefly athletic contests, which were frequent) and under certain occupational conditions (for example, fishermen often went to work in the nude). Maybe that would be a more sensible way to give aspiring nudists a means to indulge their urge to air all...

Finally, I reckon those who predict a catastrophic collapse of public morals are wrong, and those who fear having to contemplate nauseous human ugliness on the street are largely wrong too.

Most people, especially women, are all too conscious of their real or imagined physical defects and do their best to conceal or disguise them. The overweight (many of whom don't look at all bad, actually) are particularly sensitive to public scorn, as snowflake_obsidian demonstrates. Most people who have reason to cover up probably will. There will be a few shameless uglies who try, of course, but unless they're either sociopathic or stinking rich they won't get away with it for long.

As for the moral side of things - to whom it may concern, I certainly am not of their long-faced band - one only needs to ask: is the sight of a naked man or woman any more conducive to lubricity than the sight of that man or woman in clothes artfully designed to make the wearer as toothsome as possible? I'm not sure that it does.

Besides, who would go naked? Attractive young women have very good reasons for staying covered up; in a society where public nudity was an alternative to wearing clothes, a woman who chose that option could most kindly be described as a slut. Attractive women who wished to be thought decent would wear... string bikinis, perhaps. Teenage girls might experiment with nakedness (admittedly something of a temptation) while they were at that rebellious age but adult convention would soon take over. Perhaps we could have a legal minimum age for full public disclothesure, though it's hard to see where offenders would carry their ID. Maybe the government could issue nudity licenses as bracelets or dog-tags...

Rather than bringing about endemic moral collapse, the acceptance of public nudity would probably cause a general decline in sexual interest engendered by the sad truth that most people don't look particularly sexy with their clothes off. And with all the mystery and pleasure of discovery and privileged disclosure done away with, what is left? Just flesh. We would tire of it all very fast, and probably rush back into the chilly arms of prudity just for the pleasure of having something forbidden to indulge in once again. Folk need their sins.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

It has to be great, even Gazrok likes it.

It's funny...it was a few years back, on a trip to Jamaica, and the resort had a nude beach. I'd always wanted to try one, but never really had the opportunity. Sure, I'd been skinny dipping before and all...but not with strangers. The others in my group mostly went shopping that day, and I had no interest in that. Nobody else was feeling brave enough to go with me...(though eventually they came down later and some got an eyeful
)

At first it was a bit weird (I just went full into it...none of that take off this, then that, etc. bs...), but after a while, it really wasn't awkward at all, even when talking to others, etc. I was actually surprised how non-sexual it was...it was just comfortable.

Haven't really had the opportunity since then, other than the occasional skinny dip, but it was an interesting experience, and enough for me to realize our obsession with shame, etc. is a bit absurd...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And yes, SD's one-liner is truly a gem.

As per my custom, I shall bypass the substantive totality of your post and focus on me.

That one liner, is to hide the truth of my past, one that is painful to recollect, one that almost cost me my life ... yes nudism almost killed the sdog.

The year was 1985, the month was August, and I was on the island of Corfu, I was 17 years old ... The morning after the night before, I was driving on a Yamaha 600XR to the nudist beach to meet up with the two Swedish young ladies I had met at the legendary Bora Bora night club. It was noonish and I was speeding, no helmet, no shirt, flip flops. As I overtook a slow car, the idiot behind the wheel decided to make a sharp left and struck me with his driver side door.

Thankfully I did not fall and thankfully there was no oncoming traffic or else that would have been that. However my right ankle did get sandwiched between the door of the car and the metal foot-peg of the bike. It did not break, but it was an awful mess.

The car driver pulled over, I chased him on one leg, and ...

I got back on my bike and drove to the hospital ... I was greeted there by the woman doctor on duty who proceeded to yell at me because I had the audacity to have my accident during her siesta time. Then she reluctantly over-sedated me and stitched my ankle with (I kid you not) nylon fishing line. She gave me a couple of aspirin, begrudgingly bandaged my ankle, and cursed me on my way.

It was 2pm ... and after this slight peripeteia I got back onto my bike and for lack of a better plan, proceeded back to the beach to meet the aforementioned ladies.

I have to tell you that the image of yours truly limping naked on the beach, foot bleeding, must have been somewhat incongruous ... people were pointing, hopefully at my ankle, though in retrospect it is hard to be sure. It is as you might imagine, difficult to ascertain finger pointing angles at a distance.

The rest of the day went better than it started ... although for the sake of honesty, that evening's events with my newfound friends, although pleasurable in some respects, involved a whole other set of challenges and physical pains.

It was by all accounts a day of mixed results.

So to make a short story long ... I post one liners and laugh the laugh of the confused man, a man who but for the grace of the almighty almost lost his life to nudism.

[edit on 2 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was born naked, I intend to die naked, and I spend most of my life naked.

Clothing is totally optional in my apartment, and the laundry bill is low.

I've spent many nice summer days at nude beaches, and what a couple of the members said about children running naked on the beach is total crap. Kids can run and play on the beach, splash in the sea, and nobody is ogling them in a sexual way.

They are probably safer in that environment then they are around pervy Uncle Frank on a camping trip.

Nudity and sex are different things. We spend a lot of time naked, but I don't get a whole lot of extra sex out of the deal. We have sex when we're in that lovin' mood, not just because we happen to be naked.

And in Canada, a woman has the same right as men to be topless in a park, on the beach, or walking down the street.
The rule still applies in a shop though.
No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service.

And that rule goes for both men and women.
And both sexes can be charged under the Ontario Traffic Act for driving without a shirt, without shoes, or nude.

Life is short, run and play naked..........

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Agree...

I have been to numerous nude beaches and never once observed anything untoward or sexual in anyway..

In fact, it is the same as a clothing beach in most ways...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
And both sexes can be charged under the Ontario Traffic Act for driving without a shirt, without shoes, or nude.

Really?

If I may ask...

Why is that illegal?

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkangel831

I have been to numerous nude beaches and never once observed anything untoward or sexual in anyway..

I've seen a few "beach bones", but that's the nature of man. They can pop up if the breeze blows the right way, or you need to check the time and want a sundial.
Most men on a nude beach just roll over and tan their back, or they go into the water to hide the fact.

Displays of overt sexuality is frowned on at mixed nudist resorts and public beaches, and crossing that line could get your naked ass kicked out.
The kids are always safe..........

Just how uptight is our society. :shk:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Of course you can ask....

When the law was changed that females were allowed to go topless in Ontario the Highway Traffic Act was amended so that neither males or females could drive without a shirt on because it could be considered a distraction to other drivers.

They couldn't legislate only women wear a shirt because it would be discriminatory. So the law stands that both sexes wear clothing while operating a motor vehicle in the province.

The wearing of shoes has been in effect for many years, with an exception for farm equipment, and I think I saw a health and safety bulletin not long ago that required proper foot wear when operating a tractor or other farm machinery.

This is our entire Highway Traffic Act for Ontario. You can look it through, but even after all these years, I don't understand it all.

www.e-laws.gov.on.ca...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

It is also illegal to drive without shoes here ....

I think it is in most states if I am not mistaken..

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Makes sense.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Here (in this particular state, other states' laws may vary) your car is considered an extension of your home, so if it's legal in your home, it's legal in your car.

I know many, many ladies who kick off their high-heels when they get in the car to drive home from work and I don't see anything wrong with that, but I guess there's probably a good reason for the law in your area.

And I know many, many guys who I don't recall ever seeing in a shirt (hey, it's The South
) but I can see how it would be unfair to impose a double standard.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I'm a stick man, so three peddles on the floor, and I prefer to have my shoes off. If I'm behind the wheel of something with 13 up 1-4 down and maybe a PTO, I want my shoes off so I can feel the peddles.

The sound of the machine is important, but bare feet on the equipment gives you a better sense of how it's operating. You feel every vibration, all the torque, the clutch talks to you.

My shoes will last me for years because I hardly ever wear them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Kids can run and play on the beach, splash in the sea, and nobody is ogling them in a sexual way.

I agree, but my point was really just to not even put them in that position... There are some sickos in this world, and while we can't let it change our lives, there are some adjustments we should make to safeguard our kids.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I wouldn't be against public nudity, just don't ask me to do it.

Also, yeah, there'd have to be a minimum age, wouldn't want kids being at risk.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I tested the water tonight.....

This was not a nude beach, it was the shore of Lake Ontario. A very busy patch of beach with a large restaurant overlooking the beach area.
People were fishing from the rocky breakwaters, and families were enjoying the warm weather.

I stripped down to bare and dove right in, and had a great swim.
Not a single person was offended, nobody called the cops even though I was the only naked guy on the beach.

One elderly couple asked if the water was cold, (and she did look down to check for shrinkage)

But other than that one comment, nobody seemed to notice.

It's Canada eh !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join