It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about the illegals that do pay taxes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What do you all think about the Illegals that are here working that do pay taxes? I live in Texas so I know a couple of illegal guys working in this company that I used to work for a few years ago.

Last night I talked to one of them and we got into the discussion of immigration reform and he told me that even though the majority thinks that illegals just come here to cheat the "system" a lot of illegals do get taxes taken out of if their paycheck.

So I was wondering, what do people think? Should these persons be given a chance if there is an immigration reform, towards citizenship?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I use to fill out many tax forms for illegals. Majority had to pay. This was usually because they were told to put a high numbers of dependent on their W-4. BTW, most use an ITIN number established by the IRS to file their taxes.

So I know first hand many pay. I also know that some companies hire illegals as independent contractors. This despite the fact that the illegal doesn't qualify as an independent contractor. But it saves the company money and places all the tax responsibility on the illegal.

There is also an earning suspense file for social security that has about 500 billion dollars in it. The earning suspense file is where SS tax goes when social security numbers don't match up.

As far as giving them a chance under reform, the tax issue has usually always been part of the deal. Those who pay should be given extra credit for obeying the law.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think the word ILLEGAL says it all.

Taxes paid or not...you are not a legal citizen.

Apply for citizenship that way it is legal.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
How does the following of one law override the breaking of another?

Edited for a mistake in judgement.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges?

Selling drugs and murdering is a felony, while coming into this country is a misdemeanor. A misdemeanor that is seldom prosecuted.

What other misdemeanor do you hold to such high standards?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I wouldn't compare people coming here in order to improve the lives of their families to Drug dealers or murderers.

You are right about the Identity Theft point but most as far as I know use made up numbers.

But I don't see why we shouldn't allow them a path towards citizenship to these people that have followed the rules, payed their taxes while they were here illegally.

Illegal only because they didn't heave enough money to buy U.S. Citizenship.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by muse7]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
I think the word ILLEGAL says it all.

Taxes paid or not...you are not a legal citizen.

Apply for citizenship that way it is legal.

I agree totally. Illegal means just that, illegal. So what if they pay taxes?
The majority of their income is sent to mexico. Just how does this illegal
taxpaying illegal get around being illegal? Some people just don't grasp the
idea of illegal at all. It seems that just because they are here trying to make
a living for their familly, that the word illegal is not a word that is any
dictionary, so it must be alright to be illegal. geeez!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wdkirk

WdKirk, I agree with you 100%.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
How are they having taxes taken out without a valid SS number?

Me thinks, something is rotten. They are using some other persons number. Why? People have to fill out I9 forms everywhere to be employed. If they are illegal, how are they supplying information for witholdings?

These guys are using somebody elses number, is what I am thinking!

The employer needs to be shut down immediately, and fined. Put out of business, forever! Never allowed to hire anybody, ever again! Legal, or not!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

But I don't see why we shouldn't allow them a path towards citizenship to these people that have followed the rules,

I apologize for the comparisons.

But what part of -- they didn't follow the rules, they broke the law -- escapes people?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm ashamed at all the people that think not wanting to wait, what could be years, in a country they don't like ... is somehow equal to murder, or selling drugs.

I'm not proud of the America we have now. This America is a joke.

People that try to do everything else right. Try to pay their taxes. Work honestly. Support their families.

What is the only law they have broken, and why was it broken in the first place? They didn't fill out the proper documents and wait their turn?

I'm getting sick of explaining to these people that desperation makes it extremely difficult to sit idle and wait for others to be READY for you. Especially with how hectic and corrupt things are across that border, you would think that you or your family may not even have a chance to get across the proper way.

This is merely another form of "Give me Liberty, or give me Death."

-----

Some of you see it as cowardice while forgetting that this entire country was FOUNDED on a similar sentiment. Which is not, "scramble from the enemy and hide like little weaklings."

The sentiment is Liberty or Death.

And they would rather risk being taken advantage of and abused across the border, where they have no real identity or familiars. -- Meeting up with people that could just as easily screw them over. -- Rather than endure the crapfest that their country has become, in PART by the influence of agencies within our government. Along with plain ol' greed and corruption from their own countrymen.

I think America is in need of a massive rejuvenation. A deep cleansing fix that will wash away all this closet fear and prejudice. All this greed and lack of compassion.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

But I don't see why we shouldn't allow them a path towards citizenship to these people that have followed the rules,

I apologize for the comparisons.

But what part of -- they didn't follow the rules, they broke the law -- escapes people?

What seems to escape you is the fact that the law they broke makes their transgession an infraction equal to a parking ticket and as far as I know someone with a couple parking tickets is not considered a criminal.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Well if it is the same as a couple of parking tickets, why do they get
deported back to THEIR country? We don't load up people on buses or
airplanes and ship them out of the country for minor infractions.

This is not like comparing apples to oranges. More like BB's to .44 Magnum.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by endtimer]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Being an illegal-immigrant is a misdemeanor offense.

Willingly filling out and filing fraudulent information on a W-4 is a felony offense.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Illegal only because they didn't heave enough money to buy U.S. Citizenship

Buy your American citizenship

Because that is the bottom line. I know first hand how complicated and expensive the process is. Out of reach for the vast majority of those evil criminals who wanna make a better life for themselves.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Deportation just happens to be the fine for crossing illegally. Just like if you don't pay those parking tickets they will eventually find you and haul you off to jail.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What do you all think about the Illegals that are here working that do pay taxes? I live in Texas so I know a couple of illegal guys working in this company that I used to work for a few years ago.

Last night I talked to one of them and we got into the discussion of immigration reform and he told me that even though the majority thinks that illegals just come here to cheat the "system" a lot of illegals do get taxes taken out of if their paycheck.

So I was wondering, what do people think? Should these persons be given a chance if there is an immigration reform, towards citizenship?

If they are already paying taxes, then we should help them obtain citizenship quicker than others...

Get them up to date with all requirements and then welcome them...

The others......ummm sorry I guess..

It's not like mexico is a horrible place to live...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Willingly filling out and filing fraudulent information on a W-4 is a felony offense.

Are they prosecuting people for that?

You act as though all laws on the books are enforced or are you saying that they should only be enforced when it comes to illegals.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer
reply to post by daskakik

This is not like comparing apples to oranges. More like BB's to .44 Magnum.

They get deported because they don't have permision to be here. It would be alot like getting your car towed for parking in the wrong spot. Still doesn't make it a criminal offense.

I understand that many don't like the way the laws are laid out but they are what's on the books.

The only reason that a person may be held in custody is to ensure they leave the country. There isn't any prison sentence for being illegal. They may even get a chance to leave voluntarily and may even walk out on bail if they have a hearing pending.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes. You do.

I was deported.

I came "illegally" when I was 3 years old. I grew up in America, I worked and paid taxes all my life, I was a good "citizen".

I was deported back to a country I knew very little of, I didn't speak the language.

Ironically, I moved to the UK because it felt much more like "Home" then my own country of birth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join