It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama- I Take Responsibility For Solving This Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Obama- I Take Responsibility For Solving This Crisis

www.youtube.com

(CNN) -- Officials will triple the manpower staged in places where oil from a massive spill has hit the Gulf Coast shore or is expected to hit shore within 24 hours, President Obama said Friday in Grand Isle, Louisiana, after touring the stricken area.
Flanked by Gulf-state politicians, Obama vowed to put the muscle of the federal government behind what he predicted will be long-term cleanup efforts of the spill, and to ensure the oil giant BP is held responsible.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
us.cnn.com

[edit on 28-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
He seems to define the efforts but does not discuss any hopefulness in any solutions. He does not comment on the current status, successes or failures, which leads me to believe that yes, this is indeed catastrophic beyond measure so far.
He points out the economic, ecological and health dangers involved, but again, not much encouragement as to getting this thing resolved.

I think they should have already started the building of a new well that would supposedly help the leak, but it's 3 months out. Let's get it done!

As a reference to another thread started by another member, I don't see an American flag here either, for what it's worth.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hello? Mr. President? It's about freakin' time!!

As far as him saying he's responsible, good. I hope he also responsible to pay for the massive oil tax they are trying to pass that makes us once again pay for the disaster that could have been prevented if greed hadn't gotten in the way.

I'll believe he's going to do something about this mess, when he actually starts doing something about this mess.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If he does this, he can make some points with me. This is the one issue that makes me question his commitment and priorities. I've been ready to give up on him over his response to this issue. But if he takes command and makes BP pay and gets this mess cleaned up, I will have renewed faith in him.

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
He seems to define the efforts but does not discuss any hopefulness in any solutions.

He is not a oil man. He cannot discuss solutions. This is all brand new to him, as it would be to ANY president. But he has taken responsibility and pledges to fix it. It's about time, I agree, but at least I feel he's headed in the right direction.

He points out the economic, ecological and health dangers involved, but again, not much encouragement as to getting this thing resolved.

Do you think it would be wise for him to try to sell "hope" to an angry nation?

As a reference to another thread started, I don't see an American flag here either.

Oh, for God's Sake! What does that have to do with ANYTHING???

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
...are we putting together a "bail out" package for the Gulf Coast and BP at the US taxpayers expense?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wdkirk

Very funny.
Obama has already said that BP will pay for "everything that's done to both stop the leak and mitigate the damage"

Reuters

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
And the British gov't said...

Oddly silent, Royal Navy and all.

It IS British Petroleum, eh?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Can he legally do that though?

I believe there is a maximum liability clause in affect that only makes BP responsible for up to $750 million. Don't quote me on that exact number yet.

Edit to add:

I found two conflicting articles:

BP could be subject to unlimited damages and liability for the massive, month-old oil spill unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico if the disaster was caused by the company’s wrongdoing, a top Justice Department official says.

Source: thedemocraticdaily.com...

and

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal law may limit how much BP has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast oil spill, despite President Barack Obama's assurances that taxpayers will not be on the hook.

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

Source: www.wtop.com...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Pardon the short post but there's a quote I'd like to share regarding the President's pledge to take responsibility for the solution ....

"The hen is the wisest of all creatures..., she doesn't cackle until after the egg is laid." - A. Lincoln.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Oh Please, BP is big business. With that in mind who sais they will A. have enough money to cover the paying of the cleanup of the oil spill. B. have enough cash left over to pay 75 mil for other damages, And C. what stops them from declaring bankruptcy and running for the hills. then coming back as BP2 10 years from now and starting this mess all over?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I still can not figure the "quote" function, I will practice. In regards to your comments:

1)"He is not a oil man. He cannot discuss solutions. This is all brand new to him, as it would be to ANY president. But he has taken responsibility and pledges to fix it. It's about time, I agree, but at least I feel he's headed in the right direction."

I know he is not an oil man, but I figured he would have been thoroughly briefed before the speech and expand his vernacular to include some details into the industry's stance, approach and any possible solutions. Yes, I too am glad he is adamant about assigning accountability and has come forth to claim responsibility.

2) "Do you think it would be wise for him to try to sell "hope" to an angry nation?"

I don't feel he should offer false hope, he is kind of damned if he does damned if he doesn't in that regard, but I believe he should offer some kind of words of comfort regarding the process of stopping the leak. One can offer hope without specifics, imo. What I read into it is that there is just nothing positive to say about it for now. I'm not sure whether it is wise to tell an "angry nation" nothing, as far as hopefulness, even subtle(attitude), is better than not not saying anything at all encouraging about solutions.

3)"Oh, for God's Sake! What does that have to do with ANYTHING???"

I read that other thread right before I posted this and I thought it was relevant in the sense of Obama being the first President in history to address the nation without any American symbolism in the scene, like here. I just find it interesting, not threatening.

Thanks for your response.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thank you for all of your responses!
We will have to just see how this thing progresses, or should I say fall apart? I just hope this move motivates a better response and more unified effort.

I just watched Dr. Michio Kaku give some interesting facts:

2000 pounds per square inch of pressure that far down, wow! So I wonder what the expelling of oil would look like with no water pressure? Seems like it would be massive! Well, now I have a better appreciation of what they are up against.
"We are basically guinea pigs in a grand experiment." Michio

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

"We are about to die down here!"

top topics

join