It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe there's hope in the Gulf--> Look at the Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
We all know BP and the US government have screwed up in the most unimaginable ways with the current oil spill in the Gulf. Not only do they not have a solution, but they've been lying to the public about the size of the spill.

Scientists have calculated that the current spill could be anywhere from 17 to 39 million gallons to date. Now, let's assume that it's the higher number. That means that up to 900,000 barrels of oil has spilled to date (42 gallons per barrel).

www.abovetopsecret.com...
news.yahoo.com...

Now the environmental damage to the Gulf and coast line has been speculated and most predictions are doom and gloom.

But I want to bring attention to the second largest spill ever, Pemex 1979.

en.wikipedia.org...

This spill lasted 300 days in the Gulf. 3 million barrels were leaked duing this spill. That means that, so far, BP has spilled less oil than the Pemex incident.

themoderatevoice.com...

Currents floated the slick onto 162 miles of beaches on the Texas coastline where 1,421 birds were coated with the oily substance and rescued by volunteers.

I don't think there have been that many animals who have had oil on them during the oil crisis.

I'm not trying to say that this should be brushed away because we've "been there and survived worse." I'm trying to shed light on the situation. Of course, I'm sure that won't matter to the families who can't work right now.

My point is, the beaches and Gulf have survived 3 million barrels 31 years ago, and hopefully it could do the same now.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ixtoc 1 has been discussed numerous times in pretty much every BP thread to date. Sure, it was huge, but the way the oil dispersed, the location, and the depth of the well make it an entirely different situation.

But like I said, Ixtoc has been brought up in every thread already, including at least 2 dedicated to analysis of that spill. Is there need for another?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
double.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Honestly I searched Pemex for its own thread, now I search Ixtoc and there's threads.
How embarrassing.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

No problem man, just a matter of you saying Pemex and them saying Ixtoc. Sorry if I came off a bit gruff, been a long week.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have no doubt it will kill large sections of the gulf.

But only that, large sections, not the gulf.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

...This spill lasted 300 days in the Gulf. 3 million barrels were leaked duing this spill. That means that, so far, BP has spilled less oil than the Pemex incident...

...I don't think there have been that many animals who have had oil on them during the oil crisis....

...I'm not trying to say that this should be brushed away because we've "been there and survived worse." I'm trying to shed light on the situation. Of course, I'm sure that won't matter to the families who can't work right now....

...My point is, the beaches and Gulf have survived 3 million barrels 31 years ago, and hopefully it could do the same now....

Now where have I heard this before??
hhmmm...sounds so familiar...

OH YES! I remember.

I posted the same thing about 20 days ago!!
Thank you guys for finally waking up!!!

star and flag my friend...star and flag.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Honestly I must've missed every mention of Pemex/Ixtoc on ATS the last few weeks because I thought of this all unifluenced by anyone.
All of this only makes sense though.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

here, opening post
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

You took alot of heat with that thread
I think if you drew a lot more of these comparisons, people would understand this perspective a little more.

new topics

top topics

join