It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you believe the Bible is the word of God...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
...why aren't you doing more?

Simple question that is difficult to answer for me. How about you?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

If you believe the Bible is the word of God...
...why aren't you doing more?
Simple question that is difficult to answer for me. How about you?

What do you mean by doing more? More what? Give us some examples by what you mean.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
What do you mean by doing more? More what? Give us some examples by what you mean.

That's part of the question. What comes to mind when I mention the Bible and doing more?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

That's part of the question. What comes to mind when I mention the Bible and doing more?

Do you mean more works of charity?
Better efforts at apologetics? (good question here to discuss)

What would you include on the more list?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Maybe it isn't fair for me to state the question as I have though I wanted people to dig into their own lives, thinking and actions to find the question and answer.

For example:

Mark 12:31 (New International Version)

The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."

What does it mean to love your neighbor as yourself? What do I give myself that I don't give to my neighbor be they next door or homeless in my community? If I feed myself steak why didn't I eat hamburger and give half of it to someone in need?

If I have a law given to me from God why am I not following that law?

I'm not doing enough, I'm not following his direction. Are you?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's sickening to me that I call myself Christian and don't follow Christ.

edit: I'm a liar, deceiver and fraud...to myself and God because I don' t follow what I consider to be his word.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

What does it mean to love your neighbor as yourself? What do I give myself that I don't give to my neighbor be they next door or homeless in my community? If I feed myself steak why didn't I eat hamburger and give half of it to someone in need? If I have a law given to me from God why am I not following that law? I'm not doing enough, I'm not following his direction. Are you?

Well you are talking to a guy who is making just enough to make the ends meet (hamburger? @ $3.98 a pound - no way. steak? - only when the Argentine beef is on sale). Even then I am not doing enough. The problem is when is enough "enough"? How much charity is enough especially when you have your own family to care for ("charity begins at home"). The is a lot Christians can do here at ATS and BTS to help in the field of apologetics.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The problem is when is enough "enough"? How much charity is enough especially when you have your own family to care for ("charity begins at home").

I you loved your neighbor as yourself you would see those "outside" your family as your family. If hamburger was only enough to feed the few you would only eat vegetables to feed the many.

Do you see what I'm saying?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

(Eph 2:8) For by grace you are saved, through faith, and this not of yourselves; it is the gift of God;
(Eph 2:9) not of works, that not anyone should boast;

The basis of Christianity is faith in Jesus Christ. If you carry "works" to the extreme logical conclusion, you would give all your money away and end up starving to death. It is because there is never "enough" when you live by "works". No matter what you can do, there will always be more that you could do. You could end up like a lot of "works" orientated churches which specify some legalistic formula for what you do. (10% tithe, 16 hours each week testifying, etc.). I attended one of those churches a couple of times. It was real big on the 10% (of the gross income) tithe. Here is the problem with that approach. A guy making an 10% tithe of his $18,000 a year income is hurt a lot more than the guy making an 10% tithe of his $100,000 a year income. Do what you can do without putting your family and yourself in jeopardy and live with it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Do what you can do without putting your family and yourself in jeopardy and live with it.

I understand that perfectly because that is the way I live. But when I weigh that against the way I am told to live against the word of God I come up way short...as do you you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm trying to do more myself, I've joined the ministry at church, helping out with the 4 year olds. I'm in no way trying to puff myself up, but simply saying I was in the same place a few months ago that you are. Don't get down on yourself, the Lord is just probing and prodding you to step it up a notch.

"Everyone can do something for the Lord."

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I am a joke, someone who preaches the word of God, someone who falls way short and realizes it. I'm pathetic.....I don't deserve heaven. It's a difficult realization but one that can't be ignored or dismissed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Don't get down on yourself, the Lord is just probing and prodding you to step it up a notch.

"Everyone can do something for the Lord."

Thank you so much. I feel embarrassed and ashamed for the way I live with the things I have been shown during my NDE.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

(Rom 3:23) for all sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(Rom 3:24) being justified freely by His grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
(Rom 3:25) whom God set forth as a propitiation through faith in His blood, as a demonstration of His righteousness through the passing over of the sins that had taken place before, in the forbearance of God,

That pretty well says it, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". If you live by "works", then there will never be enough (not even if you give away a billion dollars to the poor). No one deserves heaven, entry to heaven is God's gift through faith in Jesus Christ. No one deserves heaven based on their works, not Abraham, not Moses, not Paul, not Martin Luther, not John Calvin. All will enter heaven because the believed God and had faith in God.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The realization that we "all fall short" is not an excuse to ignore the direction of God.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
How about we go the extra mile. Next time we cook dinner we make an extra plate and drive it down to an area where we could deliver it to a person in need?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

From your NDE thread.

I know God allowed me to return for some reason. I pray everyday that he will reveal his plan to me though I get the feeling that part of that plan is for me to share this story.

The realization that we "all fall short" is not an excuse to ignore the direction of God.

(Act 9:10) And there was a certain disciple in Damascus named Ananias. And the Lord said to him in a vision, Ananias! And he said, Behold, Lord, I am here.
(Act 9:11) And the Lord said to him, Rising up pass along on the street being called Straight and seek a Tarsian, Saul by name, in the house of Judas. For, behold, he is praying.
(Act 9:12) And he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in and putting a hand on him, so that he may see again.
(Act 9:13) And Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many bad things he did to Your saints in Jerusalem.
(Act 9:14) And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all the ones calling on Your name.
(Act 9:15) And the Lord said to him, Go, for this one is a chosen vessel to Me, to bear My name before nations and kings and the sons of Israel.
(Act 9:16) For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of My name.
(Act 9:17) And Ananias went away and entered into the house. And putting hands on him he said, Brother Saul, the Lord has sent me, Jesus, the One who appeared to you in the highway on which you came, that you may see and be filled of the Holy Spirit.
(Act 9:18) And instantly it was as if scales fell away from his eyes. And rising up at the thing happening, he was baptized.

The only place Ananias of Damascus is mentioned in the Bible is in Acts where he prays over Paul. As far as we know, that may be the only significant thing he ever did for God in his entire live. Ananias was there when God asked him to be. Just like the relief pitcher, we may spend most of our days waiting until "God comes and sends you in to get that one guy out" (metaphor). You shared your NDE with us on BTS. NDE's like any conversion experience are very personal, yet you shared your experience on a forum where unbelievers are rampant. You opened yourself to ridicule, yet you shared your experience. (As for my own "exprerience", I have shared it with only two close confidants.) Many were inspired by reading about your NDE. Have you ever considered that may be the ONE thing God wants you to do?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Have you ever considered that may be the ONE thing God wants you to do?

Oh my gosh, I thought my experience would change the world initially. It was so powerful to me I couldn't imagine it wouldn't change the world.

I attempted to share my story with anyone who would listen. I thought it was my obligation to share it as accurately as possible. I felt it was what God wished of me so I did everything possible to be as honest an accurate as possible.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Oh my gosh, I thought my experience would change the world initially. It was so powerful to me I couldn't imagine it wouldn't change the world. I attempted to share my story with anyone who would listen.
I thought it was my obligation to share it as accurately as possible. I felt it was what God wished of me so I did everything possible to be as honest an accurate as possible.

What you had was what I have dubbed was a "Pauline Conversion Experience". These are experiences which are extremely personal (although most are not extreme as yours) and to the unbeliever they would appear as being some form of psychosis. Indeed Paul was struck blind on the road to Damascus and he heard the voice of Jesus. To his unbelieving associates, Paul had heat stroke and suffered hysteria as a results. Then he became delusional. You can see what I am driving at considering such experiences. The unbeliever thinks you are nuts, the believer considers this as being a direct communication from God. You can imagine what Paul's former associates in the Sanhedrin though when they heard about Paul ("The man has gone totally insane".) On the other hand, the believers thought ("The Lord spoke directly to him, maybe the Lord has something special planned for him".) Therefore I feel that such experiences are mostly for the benefit of the recipient and the edification of the believer. So keep sharing your experience with others. Some will be inspired.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I am a joke, someone who preaches the word of God, someone who falls way short and realizes it. I'm pathetic.....I don't deserve heaven. It's a difficult realization but one that can't be ignored or dismissed.
Wow, you're really undergoing a spiritual attack. My point you say??

NONE OF US "DESERVE" HEAVEN man! lol Listen to yourself. You actually sound A LOT like Paul in Timothy, where he said he was the "chief" of sinners. Come on man, snap out of it. NONE of us deserve to go to heaven man, stop thinking in terms of MERIT, that's a doctrine of devils, and focus entirely on what CHRIST has already accomplished.

Period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join