It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House votes quadrupling of per-barrel oil tax

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

US House votes quadrupling of per-barrel oil tax

rawstory.com

The US House of Representatives on Friday voted to more than quadruple a per-barrel oil tax that fills a special trust fund to pay for damages from major spills like the Gulf of Mexico disaster.

The measure called for raising the eight-cent-per-barrel tax to 34 cents, raising nearly 12 billion dollars over 10 years for the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which currently holds about 1.5 billion dollars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well everyone in the U.S. can not look at there fuel price going up again, this time because of the government and there tax. The source article does go on to say that B.P. is liable for the clean up of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but also goes on to say that they are liable for up to seven hundred fifty million in economic damages. So I can't help but think that the government is not counting on B.P. to be paying for the complete clean up of the oil spill.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This doesn't bother me at all. We waste so much oil/gas on frivolous things right now. Walk more, buy less crap....in the long run it will help you!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The big oil company screws up, and the next step is for us to pay more for gas?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Alaskan
yes that is what is happening. Kina sucks don't it?
I just do hope that B.P. will pay for the clean up in the end.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I wonder how this will affect the Carbon trade revenue plan?

It seems unlikely that we wouldn't pay for this debacle anyway... BP will just get the cartel to raise the per barrel price anyway to maintain their profit.

Cost increases are always passed on to the consumer anyway... they get us one way or another.... but I wonder if this time they'll get us BOTH ways?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well now is just as good of time as any to raise awareness about the problems our addiction to oil causes. Time to stop using so much oil/gas people. It's not time for a physical revolution. THE TIME IS FOR A REVOLUTION OF THE MIND!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Any why shouldn't we be punished. OUR REGULATIONS, OUR GREED FOR GOODS AND PRODUCTS, OUR CONSUMPTION caused this oil leak. I'm sure none of us can honestly say we've never filled up at a BP gas station before. Stop placing 100% of the blame on BP....WE PLAYED A ROLE IN THIS AS WELL!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by dontbesquare]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

And again I say...

Is anyone really surprised?

This is only to be expected.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontbesquare
Any why shouldn't we be punished. OUR REGULATIONS, OUR GREED FOR GOODS AND PRODUCTS, OUR CONSUMPTION caused this oil leak. I'm sure none of us can honestly say we've never filled up at a BP gas station before. Stop placing 100% of the blame on BP....WE PLAYED A ROLE IN THIS AS WELL!

Agreed.

Though, to be fair, they are more responsible because they take all measures to ensure that we believe that we need all this stuff.

We are humans - weak. They exploit that.

They cast the stumbling block before us. But yes, we do fail the challenge.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

HMMMM, so who do you think in the end will pay for this tax? BP, NO. BP will just transferre that tax onto you at the pump. HEY, GAS IS GOING UP AGAIN.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

OUR CONSUMPTION caused this oil leak.

don't blame me.
I have wanted an alternative fuel
vehicle for years. Electric cars were
put into the population and then killed
off by the oil companies to preserve
profits. Please see the hollywood movie

"Who killed the electric car?"

So you're wrong. Some of us did try
to ween off oil consumption but were
outmanned and outgunned in congress
with laws. So no I don't think we should
have to pay for this clean-up. Oil was
FORCED on us.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's a whopping 0.8 cents a gallon...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Why don't you wander off into a corner some place and beat yourself silly.
I'm not going to for you.
I live my life the way I want too. If I want to go fishing I go, If I want to go camping and pull my trailer, I go.
YUP, Fill up the truck 27 gallons and hook'em up, I'm out a here.
And you know why? I worked all my life, weekends, holidays, nights, days and in some of the worst countries in the world under some very dangerous conditions, And Now You Want Me To Feel Guilty?
NO!
No, I won't.
Oil spill and all is bad, I'll agree, But I won't fell guilty now to make some Green Winnie Happy and I won't beat myself for you and I'm Not Sorry I Feel This Way!

Edit : spelling.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
thanks boondock -saint...
i have already changed to electric vehicle,
it cost me $700 to put a electric plug-in in my designated condo-parking space that i will possibly never recover.

but i do have a suggestion about eliminating the oil producers from passing on the 4X increase in taxes to the innocent consumers...

employ an algorythm/formula where the management gets their annual bonuses, across the board, cut by the ammount of the tax increase...
And if any increases to the public filters through in any case---then an automatic penalty/excessive profits clause is implemented on the corp.
Freezing wage compensation-, rolling back future bonuses, and penalizing both the corporation and the individual payrolls for adjustments/COLAs/increases/bonuses.... these elite managers would be locked in to last years compensation for their employment duration at that firm
since they helped create the corporate culture that said 'let's cut corners'
and hence allow conditions to blossom where 'accidents' are bound-to-happen===let them retire at that station in life== and/or let a competitor
buy the corporation and give the management elites the axe !

let them suffer... from the bed they made for others to squirm in while they all feathered their own nest egg & retirements.

~L~

[edit on 28-5-2010 by St Udio]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
It's a whopping 0.8 cents a gallon...

REALLY? Is That All?

SH$T, I'm going cat fishing tonight,
HONEY, Pack me a late night snack PLEASE!

I'm filling up the truck before some whining Greene's start to picket my local AM/PM gas station.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
ENOUGH OF THE BS.

We are giving oil and gas companies 36.5 BILLION dollars this year in TAX PAYER SUBSIDIES.....which is basically THEIR PROFITS.

I don't want to hear it.

Take the money back from the pricks.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
AGREED SCREW THESE HUUUUUGE MULTINATIONAL OIL COMPANIES! IT'S NOT GOOD AT ALL FOR THE END CONSUMER.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join