It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anchor Babies are Americans

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Citizenship should be inherited from your parents, not determined by your location at birth.

One day, it just might be like that.

But for now, I just can't see Congress passing such a bill.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

There are varying interpretations of the original intent of Congress, based on statements made during the congressional debate over the amendment.[5] During the original debate over the amendment Senator Jacob M. Howard of Michigan—the author of the Citizenship Clause—described the clause as excluding American Indians who maintain their tribal ties, and “persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers.” He was supported by other senators, including Edgar Cowan, Reverdy Johnson, and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lyman Trumbull.[6] Howard further stated the term jurisdiction meant "the same jurisdiction in extent and quality as applies to every citizen of the United States now"[6] and that the United States possessed a “full and complete jurisdiction” over the person described in the amendment.[7][8][6] Other senators, including Senator John Conness,[9] supported the amendment, believing citizenship should cover all children born in the United States.

In Elk v. Wilkins, 112 U.S. 94 (1884), the clause's meaning was tested regarding whether it meant that anyone born in the United States would be a citizen regardless of the parents' nationality. In that case, the Supreme Court held that the children of Native Americans were not citizens, despite the fact that they were born in the United States.

The meaning was tested again in the case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898) regarding children of non-citizen Chinese immigrants born in United States. The court ruled that the children were U.S. citizens.[10]

The difference between "legal" and "illegal" immigrants was not clear at the time of the decision of Wong Kim Ark.[11] The Heritage Foundation, a Conservative think tank, has opined that Congress possesses the power to pass legislation that would exclude from citizenship children who are born in the United States to illegal immigrant parents. Neither in Wing Kim Ark nor any subsequent case has the Supreme Court explicitly ruled on whether such children are entitled to birthright citizenship via the amendment,[12] although such birthright is generally assumed to be the case.[13] In some cases, the Court has implicitly assumed, or suggested in dicta, that such children are entitled to birthright citizenship: these include INS v. Rios-Pineda, 471 U.S. 444 (1985)[14] and Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982).[15]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Maybe this will enlighten you and help you with your question.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks, that did the trick.

We should add ourselves to the list of nations who have modified or abolished Jus Soli. I don't know why we can't. I mean, we're fashionably late to that dance, aren't we?

Now I have to add a disclaimer so I don't get called a racist and whatever else. I am not against immigration. I am against ILLEGAL immigration.

I don't care if half of Mexico comes to live here as long as they pass the exam, learn how to speak English (which is the official language that all natural-born US citizens speak), and get a job where they and their employer pay taxes. Is that such a tall order?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Citizenship rules are some of the most convoluted and hopelessly complicated laws in the world. Myself, I am a citizen of both the United Kingdom and Canada, however I am married to a United States citizen. My best friend is a United States citizen whom is married to a French citizen. We all have wildly different rules though of how to get our spouses and ourselves into citizenship in the same nation. If any of us were to have children, I actually have no idea what country our countries they would be citizens of.

Trust me it's a massive headache. Thankfully I will say this, international private industry helps with the employment angle of citizenship issues! I work for a British news agency that has branches in the United States, my wife works for a fashion label that also has a branch in the United States as well as England. As such, it was easy for her to make an internal transfer from California where we were living to London when I got transferred as well.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
So illegal immigrants follow the law when it benefits them but then call every one racist who want them to follow the law when it is a burden for them?

Not sure if that is irony, hypocrisy, or both.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hdmm06

Thanks for the info.

I add this

Birthright Citizenship

Interesting read

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I don't care if half of Mexico comes to live here as long as they pass the exam, learn how to speak English (which is the official language that all natural-born US citizens speak), and get a job where they and their employer pay taxes. Is that such a tall order?

That's another part wrong with the system.

English is not the official language and people who enter the US legally are not required to learn English, unless they are applying for citizenship.

That means that a legal permanent resident who has no desire to be citizen no tiene que hablar Ingles.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

S&F Jam.

I can't stand the phrase "Anchor Babies"...and it is about time someone put together a well thought out and nicely worded post about this issue.

You can't say it anymore direct than that...by the US CONSTITUTION...if you are born on US soil...YOU ARE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN...end of story.

So for those saying they want them to be not considered citizens and deported...you are willing to go against the constitution at the same time you are saying you enforcing it???

That is a bit odd.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Back in the 1700's my forefathers were "anchor babies." Both parents were born in other countries and immigrated to the U.S.

Unless you are Native American, you are also the descendant of non-native-born parents.

What nobody is saying out loud is that the reason "anchor babies" are so unwelcome is because they are the children of Latinos. Nobody is complaining about Swedish anchor babies, because they are considered "white."

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I know that all of those other wonderful countries that were listed also grant automatic citizenship to those born on their land- but honestly, there isn't one major developed nation on that list. Do you think one country on that list has the immigration problems that we do here?
I don't, I think people are much more likely to come here from those countries.

UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.
KEEP AMERICA AMERICAN!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by enlighteneddante

KEEP AMERICA AMERICAN!

I know many so called Anchor babies and from what i can tell they sure do act and breathe American.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by enlighteneddante

It's not a question of where people will go but a response to the person that says "America is the only country where this happens".

Oh and I do see Canada in that list and a few more that are on the fast track to being developed nations like Brazil, Chile and Antigua and Barbuda.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The problem is with the mother coming over her and popping out the baby and the mother and her family automatically gets to stay.

*sighs*

Wrong.

Here are the ways one can start the process to become a legal resident.

1. be sponsered by an American relative over the age of 21.
2. be sponsered by an employer
3. be sponsered by a american born husband or wife
4. 1 million dollar investment in the American economy.
5. Have an exceptional career in the arts( yep...if you're a crappy celebrity, the USA wants ya!)

I have two American brothers who are activley serving in the US armed forces. Born of of my illegal alien parents.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I have two American brothers who are activley serving in the US armed forces. Born of of my illegal alien parents.

Semper Fi and my prayers are with my fellow Americans serving in the armed forces.

Thanks for the age info, i have been saying 18.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Sure, that stuff may happen over there- but not to the levels here in this country. Let's just stop the illegal immigration and then we won't have to worry about this. Sound good everybody?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hdmm06

Well, whether or not Congress possesses the power to further legislate the 14th amendment by specifically stating under what circumstances a person is, or is not an American citizen by birth, I think if the intent is to be changed it should come from either an addendum to the amendment itself or through a reinterpretation by the SCOTUS... Congress can't even be trusted to pass health care reform that actually reforms health care - I've no confidence in their ability to address something this divisive, or ultimately as important as the possible revisitation of an amendment to the Constitution.

In either case, I think it's fairly disgusting and beyond the pale that anyone would try to use an amendment written for the citizenship status or former slaves as a means by which to tacitly gain legal status in the United States from a foreign country. That would be like me trying to get scholarship funds for college through a native American tribe because I'm 1/16 Cherokee - morally reprehensible.

As it stands however, until the language and the intent of the 14th are addressed, this proposed legislation by AZ is DOA.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The problem is the parents waiting to come to the states to have their babies so they can become citizens. By the way until the child is born it is not a citizen. So it's okay in your mind for these illegals to wait till the last minute and sneak across the border to exploit our medical system to insure a birth of a child they put at risk crossing the border? Remember a few years back when the truck full of illegals died from the heat inside a truck? The current system encourages these mothers to risk their lives and that of their unborn children to get to the states.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So to all that want to argue that all of us came here illegally originally, you are right, BUT, we set up a country with a govt and it's called the United States and it has rules, and one of those rules is you have to get persmission to live here now, if you were not born here. And it's a pretty good rule, otherwise it could just be chaos, or one big giant slum, or who knows what the USA might look like without rules and borders. Every country was once just open territory, but now there is a border for every country, and those borders need to be respected. THis is a no-brainer people!

I am pretty sick and tired of people making this a race thing, it's an illegal thing! And for the person that had the nerve to say, "I don't see anyone condeming the illegal Swedes having babies here!" That is just an assinine comment. How many Swedes you see crossing over the ocean and popping out babies for free in our hospitals? I didn't think so.

While I'm ranting, it is ridiculous to throw the "this was their country originally" out there also. Wars were fought, borders were made. The spaniards invaded the Mayans and took. It is what it is. It's just a shame Arizona has to do all the hard work, to get our country to finally take a stand, although, I've yet to see that stand. And since we are a county of rules and laws, we need to enforce them.

Really the baby born here is legal, the parents that aren't have to leave, and take the baby or leave the baby. That might deter the illegal behavior in the first place.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Really the baby born here is legal, the parents that aren't have to leave, and take the baby or leave the baby. That might deter the illegal behavior in the first place.

That is actually the situation and it doesn't seem to be working either.

Based on that finding, at least 13,000 American children have seen one or both parents deported in the past two years after round-ups in factories and neighborhoods.

Immigration Quandary: A Mother Torn From Her Baby

[edit on 30-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

So it's okay in your mind for these illegals to wait till the last minute and sneak across the border to exploit our medical system to insure a birth of a child they put at risk crossing the border?

First, I'm not debating whether it is right for them to come over here and have their baby.

My position is merely that these babies are American as observe by current law. One of the many American laws that many of you say illegals should abide by but yet have problem accepting the law yourself.

I did not write the law nor did I ever instruct anybody to interpret it as such. Nonetheless, it should be respected as a law regardless of whether one agrees with it or not.

You are blaming illegals for taking advantage of a law that our own government has failed to change. How does one take advantage of something that is legal?

Now for your homework. You seem to be under the impression that pregnant illegal women risk their life just to come over here to have a baby.

Though that may be the case from time to time, I have a hard time believing it is the most common way. If I were a betting man, I would say most get pregnant after reaching the USA.

Could you please show me some hard evidence how many illegal women are pregnant before they come to the US and how many get pregnant after living in the US?

Furthermore, do you know how pregnant women with visas to the US are classified when they unexpectedly have their babies in the US?

Thank you for your reply.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join