It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can one person oversee every spy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Can one person oversee every spy?

news.bbc.co.uk

He has no power, no leverage. He can't make anything happen. He doesn't control anything of significance in the [intelligence] community," says Mark Lowenthal, former deputy assistant secretary of state for intelligence and president of the Intelligence and Security Academy.

"He is just there to try and get people to listen to him and co-ordinate. He can't. I think we have proved that to everyone's satisfaction."

The intelligence services - and by extension Mr Blair - came under criticism
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I know the pending replacement of this man has already been talked about but this news report is dealing with the man who holds the position has now power. For what ever reason he is not the one who makes any decisions. That is why I think that we may be seeing a change coming before to long in the U.S. spy organization. If you have any thoughts on the matter please post them.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
To put this into a visual perspective. Here is an orginizational chart of the Intel Community (those that are known
)

Some more info.....

www.whitehouse.gov...

"The President's Intelligence Advisory Board (PIAB), with its component Intelligence Oversight Board (IOB), is an independent element within the Executive Office of the President.

The President’s Intelligence Advisory Board exists exclusively to assist the President by providing the President with an independent source of advice on the effectiveness with which the Intelligence Community is meeting the nation’s intelligence needs, and the vigor and insight with which the community plans for the future. The Board has access to all information needed to perform its functions and has direct access to the President.

The Intelligence Oversight Board oversees the Intelligence Community’s compliance with the Constitution and all applicable laws, Executive Orders, and Presidential Directives. It complements and supplements, rather than duplicates the oversight roles of the Director of National Intelligence, Department and Agency Inspectors General and General Counsels, and the Congressional Oversight Committees.

For more than five decades the PIAB has acted as a nonpartisan body, offering the President objective, expert advice on the conduct of U.S. intelligence."

The National Security Act of 1947 made the Director of Central Intelligence both the head of his agency and the leader of the intelligence community. The DCI was at the helm on 9-11, but one of the findings of the Commission that heading a large agency and directing the entire IC was too much for one person; thus the two positions were separated.

But it still seems as though it is still too much. The IC is just too big. They mention 17 intel agencies, but they are not including local law enforcement intel.

[edit on May 28th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wanted to add (for more persepctive):

*State & Local = 780,000 personnel (17,876 agencies)

*Federal security and law enforcement officers = 125,000 (CIA does not release figures on those they employ - so the numbers are far from accurate)

(my source is from a Powerpoint Presentation I received in my Intelligence class made by my professor - Intelligence officer)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Green
thanks for the information, and for posting

Yes I do relise that there are many different agencies that can send information to his people. What made me wonder and be concerned was that the source article was stipulating that he has no power, and can not seem to get people to listen to him. The person in that position needs to be able to ask what assets are in an area of intrist, and if insufficient take what ever steps are needed to get assets in the area. The source article makes it sound like he does not have the authority to do that.

new topics

top topics

join