It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Official To Ask U.S. To Stop CIA Drone Attacks, Limit Use To Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

UN Official To Ask U.S. To Stop CIA Drone Attacks, Limit Use To Military

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- A senior United Nations official is expected to call on the United States next week to stop Central Intelligence Agency drone strikes against people suspected of belonging to Al Qaeda, complicating the Obama administration's growing reliance on that tactic in Pakistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Looks like the UN is getting sick of the CIA's drone attacks in the middle east. They are probably getting sick of complains of innocents being murdered?

Limit use to military? I wonder what all they are using the drones for?

I remember back when these were just a project and nothing more, and now they are causing havoc.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

It's about time! They've sat quietly while Bush/Obama have ok'd what we now know to be anonymous assassination of people based only on their being suspects and further assassinations based on activity profiling by controllers back in the US. The USA has become the monster that Americans fear most and it's not protecting our freedom in any way.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I thought TPTB that controlled the US military also controlled the UN? Could they be purposely trying to make the US look bad?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Why doesn't the UN asks the US to stop killing innocent Pakistanis?

F@#$@#$@#$ don't call it the drone attacks, they are killing civilians.

Do you know how many innocent Pakistanis have been killed ?

@#%$#@%@

with over 700 innocent civilians killed, according to Pakistan's most widely-read English newspaper.

It is catching up to 9/11 $%^@^%#^#^%&@$%

So can Pakistan invade the US for harboring terrorists?

Or can Pakistan invade the US when the death toll reaches the same number as 9/11?

@#$#@$@#@#!@##@$#@$

This is not a rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandwiches
I thought TPTB that controlled the US military also controlled the UN? Could they be purposely trying to make the US look bad?

and could they also be trying to make themselves look good? As in, are they the ones that will bring forth the NWO, so making the UN look good and the US look bad, works out for the both of them? Hmmm... Thanks OP!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

If you think about it... Pakistan actually has the right in my mind to invade the US. 700 innocents... they could invade the US over it. Will they? No.

Do they have the right? Unfortunately, yes.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
So the CIA would be stopped from carrying out the raids, but the military could still conduct them? How is that any different? Will innocent people automatically be saved?

Yes they will be saved.
Less civilians will be killed cuz u have
eyes and boots on the ground to make
that decision. There are quite a few things
a drone cannot see from an aerial view.
Children hunkered down in a doorway
or playing in an alley. This is the kind of
collateral damage they are trying to stop.
And I agree wholeheartedly. Real life war
should not be a video game and there should
be consequences to murder, not just some
stick jockey half way around the world.

If you wanna fly drones for surveillance only,
that's all fine and dandy. But when you use it
to make life and death decisions .....
well

watch the movie Eagle Eye
for the conclusion.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
If you think about it... Pakistan actually has the right in my mind to invade the US. 700 innocents... they could invade the US over it. Will they? No.

Do they have the right? Unfortunately, yes.

I don't think so

remember the 9/11 attacks killed almost 3,000 innocents
and the lead hijacker was paid by Pakistan's ISI.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This is an incredibly insignificant political development with zero binding potential upon the United States. To be frank, and to keep it simple, the United Nations is only relevant within nations which perceive the U.N. as relevant. This 'official' has no more authority to order a change in U.S. national policy than you do.
Though I suppose something had to be done to rile up the General Assembly and let those predictable voices wear themselves out.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

The Pakistanis says increase drone attacks not stop it or reduce it!
www.dawn.com...

Dr Taj concludes her article thus: “Moreover, Al Qaeda and the Taliban have done everything to stop the drone attacks by killing hundreds of innocent civilians on the pretext of their being American spies. They thought that by overwhelming the innocent people of Waziristan with terror tactics they would deter any potential informer, but they have failed…. Interestingly, no one in Pakistan has raised objections to killings [sic] of the people of Waziristan on charges of spying for the US. This, the people of Waziristan informed, is a source of torture for them that their fellow Pakistanis condemn the killing of terrorists, but fall into deadly silence over the routine murders of tribesmen.…”

I have often wondered about this callous hypocrisy too. If we condemn the Americans so vociferously over the drone campaign, should we not be more critical of the thugs who are killing far more Pakistani civilians? And yet, it seems that our more popular Urdu anchorpersons and TV chat show guests reserve their outrage for Washington, while giving the Taliban and Al Qaeda a free pass over their vicious suicide bombings that have taken hundreds of innocent lives in recent weeks.

Why then are we silent over the daily killings of fellow Pakistanis by the TTP and other terror groups, while frothing at the mouth over the drone attacks? Clearly, this irrational and double-faced reaction is based in the anti-American sentiment that has taken root in Pakistan.

However, if we are to win the war against extremism, we need to analyse where our best interests lie. First we need to face the fact that the war is not going well. Even though the army has cleared most of South Waziristan of the TTP, it does not have the manpower to both hold the area it has wrested from the terrorists, and to take them on in the other regions they have fled to.

We need to wake up to the reality that the enemy has grown very strong in the years we temporised and tried to do deals with them. Clearly, we need allies in this fight. Howling at the moon is not going to get us the cooperation we so desperately need. A solid case can be made for more drone attacks, not less.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This amounts to assassinations, which are illegal since the late 70's when Carter put a stop to them (about the only worthwhile thing he did).

They should stop. The CIA should not be authorized to kill civilians. There is absolutely no oversight with what they do.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
DOM DOM DOMMMMMMMM!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by JohnJasper

The Pakistanis says increase drone attacks not stop it or reduce it!
www.dawn.com...

It appears that some Pakistanis say increase drone attacks but even this report states that the Pakistani government is officially against them. I'd compare this to the Haitians who were happy to see anyone including Americans coming to their rescue after the earthquake. The problem in both circumstances is the price they are/will pay for accepting American help.

All these months on and most Haitians are still living in tent cities while aid agencies try to decide how much help they're entitled to and billions of dollars sit with the World Bank while Clinton decides which cronies to favor. The Plantation called Haiti: Feudal pillage masking as humanitarian aid-Added COMMMENTARY By Haitian-Truth

If it weren't for the USA's illegal occupation of Afghanistan, would the Taliban and/or Al-CIA-da even be in Pakistan?

I have no love for the Taliban but they were the official government of Afghanistan before the invasion. I have no illusions that we (USA, UK, etc) invaded to rescue the Afghan peoples from the Taliban. There were so many more deserving nations we could have gone to the rescue of if that was our game.

new topics

top topics

join