It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Quality Alert On Texas Gulf Coast. Ozone AQI Unhealthy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
OK, I'm very concerned about the air quality in the entire Gulf Coast.

I think Houston is getting the brunt of the unhealthy air from the oil catastrophe
right now. Look at the chart.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/125fa931478e.jpg[/atsimg]
Health Message: Active children and adults, and people with lung disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors. Everyone else, especially children, should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors.
ACTION DAY

www.airnow.gov...

It appears that Ozone levels are in the unhealthy area.

Ozone near the ground is created through a series of chemical reactions involving sunlight, oxides of nitrogen - a product of fossil fuel combustion in motor vehicles, power plants, industrial boilers and so on -

www.mass.gov...

Now, hurricane travel from the Atlantic and into the Gulf, and sometimes towards Texas. This would suggest that normal winds carry air from the Gulf, over Texas, or onshore winds.

Could the burning of the oil be creating this ozone alert?

Just thought those in Texas might want to know.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I did a search and this seems to be the best thread for my question.
We have had a family vacation planned to the Texas coast near the Rockport area for months. It is planned for next week. We are thinking of not even going now due to the reports of the gases in the air. I cant seem to find any current or real info on how safe the Texas coast is . What do y'all think? if we go, we for sure wont let the kids in the ocean.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
One thing the description of what creates ozone leaves out is the pollutants with VOC volatile organic compounds . kinda like the stuff the failed rig is putting out benzene methane vaporized gasoline natural gas and propane.

Here we have a low population 3 coal fired power plants and oils and gas wells the ozone level here is usually neck and neck with Albuquerque which is 10 times as bigger than here . The 4 corners air quality blame most on the plants the rest on oil and gas from VOC and the minor remaining on cars from the population .

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't know if I'd go to Rockport, to be honest. I live in north Houston, and I love Rockport, but I'm not going.

i usually spend the summer visiting spots up and down the gulf.i love to drive to just about anyplace along the coast for daytrips or overnighters. I wish i had spent more time out there, because I'm not getting any closer to the Gulf than I am right now. I don't like how close i am for the long term, either.

I've lived in Houston most of my life. there are long days and nights in summer where the air is thick and impossible to breathe. add a cloud of Deepwater Disaster special riding the wind up through the drained off swamps? This should be interesting.

i am sure there are experts who will assure me that my "air quality" will never be affected by this tragedy. i sure do hope they are right.

so no, no Rockport for me. I will be heading inland for my excursions this year.

[edit on 15/6/10 by subbcindy]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Daily AQI warnings for high ozone exposures are a daily occurrence here during the summer. Nice way to sensationalize it though by mentioning the Gulf Coast

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Daily AQI warnings for high ozone exposures are a daily occurrence here during the summer. Nice way to sensationalize it though by mentioning the Gulf Coast

If you think the people in Texas can't be affected from this oil spill, you are wrong. I was just concerned for the people in the area. Unlike you.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OurskiesRpoisoned

Originally posted by TXRabbit

If you think the people in Texas can't be affected from this oil spill, you are wrong. I was just concerned for the people in the area. Unlike you.

Please point out in my response where I said they couldn't be affected by this.

Please point out in my response where I said I was/wasn't concerned.

Please grow up and learn that not every response that criticizes or disagrees with something you type is an attack on you or your thinking.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A friend who works on Galveston Island wrote me today of the deteriorating air quality on Galveston and out in the Gulf leading him to conjecture an undiscovered oil vent south-southeast of Galveston that is also venting methane and other volatile chemicals. So far nothing officially reported or found on the internet, but I thought the info worth posting.

As for me I live in Canada but visit Texas and Louisiana often where I have grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I thank the OP sincerely for posting this thread.

new topics

top topics

join