It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST READ!! Can Bacteria Make You Smarter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Can Bacteria Make You Smarter?

www.disinfo.com

Exposure to specific bacteria in the environment, already believed to have antidepressant qualities, could increase learning behavior, according to research presented at the 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in San Diego.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.discovery.com
www.sciencedaily.com
www.asm.org

[edit on 28-5-2010 by 933K5T4R]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I was reading through some more interesting news online today...i Graciously added some more links this time
but i was wondering if we dedicated more research time to this what the real world aplications could be with this, maybe leading up to the creation of a smart pill or smart injection...the studies theyve done with mice already have been interesting to say the least, mice injected or fed this bacteria navigated mazes at twice the speed control mice did...Previous research studies on M. vaccae showed that heat-killed bacteria injected into mice stimulated growth of some neurons in the brain that resulted in increased levels of serotonin and decreased anxiety....this could also lead to more natural anti anxiety or depression treatments...please i welcome any and all comments on this, any negative feedback please post constructivley as i am a new poster, thank you

www.disinfo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have always believed that exposing yourself to some pathogens can have all sorts of benefits. It allows your body to beef up its immune system, and all that good stuff. Now I'm not saying we should all go lick doorknobs, but overuse of hand sanitizers and things like that are definitely not natural and doesn't let your immune system flex its muscles.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

lol thank you for the post i agree

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
its like old story where a overprotective parents keept thier child from enviroment to learn that at age around (when coming out becomes normal) he/she catches a tyfus or any other comonly resisted illness.

if that bacteria would make me smarter where do i sign up?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
trust the fungus, the universe is a fractalized slime mold

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I can see it now.. instead of "eat your veggies" it will be, Eat your mold little Johnny It's good for you.. What.. you'd rather eat veggies !?

new topics

top topics

join