It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darpa's Beady-Eyed Camera Spots the 'Non-Cooperative'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Darpa's Beady-Eyed Camera Spots the 'Non-Cooperative'

www.wired.com

Smart-Iris, the name of the new Panoptes innovation, is being developed in conjunction with SMU Professor Delores Etter, who specializes in biometric identification. It’ll eliminate problems like glare, eyelashes, dim lighting — and an unwillingness to stop and stare directly into a dedicated iris-detection camera. Instead, Panoptes devices will zero in on a face, no matter angle or movement, then narrow right into the iris. A long line of people, moving through a line, could be scanned by wall
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Talk about Big Brother keeping an eye on everyone....

This technology would catch an image of the iris of every person passing close to these cameras, and people won't even notice they were scanned...

One of the scientists in charge even specifies the reason for these cameras...

“Ideally, when you walk down a hallway, no matter where your head is looking, the device can grab your eyeball and detect what it needs to,” Christensen said. And where possible security and defense applications are concerned? “You can let your imagination fly with that one.”

The guy even sees it as a joke... What happens when the camera captures the iris for example of a conspiracy theorist who is not going to do any harm to anyone but doesn't trust the government?...

He/she will probably be labeled as a "Non-Cooperative", and who knows what else...

This university was funded by the Methodist Episcopal Church, and they are now working for the government and DARPA to go after "Non-Cooperatives"...

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That is scary stuff indeed. The police state is here.

Luckily, we can fight it with cheap sunglasses.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
That is scary stuff indeed. The police state is here.

Luckily, we can fight it with cheap sunglasses.

Unless it uses IR. The article wasn't very forthcoming as to what processes the camera uses. (or maybe I just missed them)

My buddy busted out his camcorder and took a video at a party here at my place. He had (I think it was IR) activated, and everyone who was wearing sunglasses looked like they were wearing just the frames...you could see right through them.

Kinda funny actually.

[edit on 5/28/10 by Tharsis]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

Wow, okay back to the drawing board...

This thread makes me wonder again about the technology that we have no idea about...that's the stuff that gives me shivers.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
maybe wearing those mirorlike sunglasses or
to wear those new type colored contact lenses
those cover your iris
or are they scanning your retina?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by voorbereid

Perhaps those with sun glasses will be automatically recognized as Non-Cooperatives... I mean, they really are not cooperating.

People with sunglasses AND fake staches will be shot

[edit on 28/5/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This reminds me of Minority Report (2002). The worst I could see happening to this is, cookies for eyes. No, not a baked cookie, a web cookie.

Constantly being harassed as you walk by advertisements customized just for you as google tracks your interests and where you go most frequently to better advertise to your needs.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am honored with the label "Non-Cooperative".

I am not sheeple, I am not sheeple.

MYOB Big Brother.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So the schizos and homeless are looking more and more like prophets every day...
2nd.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So what happens if you're wearing contact lenses or sun glasses?
How bout a brown paper bag over your head? One way masks, face paint, giant Mexican hats? What happens if someone throws a large object at this expensive and more than likely delicate instrument of surveillance, or spray paints the lense? Cameras aren't frightening. What is frightening however, is millions of P.O.'d civilians that have no homes due to foreclosures, no food due to inflation, and nothing left to lose.

You keep pushing the people big brother, you're gonna end up biting off more than you can chew.

new topics

top topics

join