It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When someone gets banned from ATS;

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
A friend of mine who had awesome posts/threads and a real fighter for truth and denying ignorance got banned for mentioning a conspiracy about some truth about a specific drug and the media. He got perm banned (evn though it was a legitimate argument) because apparently you couldn't talk about drugs in the short-lived drug forums... He went to another site and never came back.

I still value his posts and don't think they should be deleted simply because he got banned.

I second this. I too have had trouble trying to spread the truth about certain substances and had my long post removed by a moderator.

If i was banned, i would be very upset to learn my posts had been deleted, as this would be verging on a draconian measure.

Didn't Orwell talk about deleting history in 1984?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
A few of my friends have been banned - I don't know why - but I'd never remove them from my list of friends.

I enjoyed their posts while they were here and was delighted when they 'friended' me. Whatever they did to deserve being banned it didn't affect me so they're staying put on my friends list.

I'd feel the same way about foes (if I had any) - relationships with other member are part of my ATS 'history' and I wouldn't want the record on our profiles, or their contributions to ATS, deleted.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry to interrupt the flow here, but since some people previously mentioned...
I have been on here for not very long at all and am not a numerous contributor and have pretty much made no threads of interest.
However... I've been foe'd by someone who I haven't even come across in any of the sections that I frequent and I haven't crossed paths with at all.
Can anyone explain to me what the motivation could be, and is this a common theme on ATS?
It really turned me off the site a fair bit 'cos I really thought you were all such a friendly, tolerant bunch...
Also, as an additional question, for those of you who have foe'd someone else, what were your reasons? And is it an indication of personal animosity?
I'm not sure how to take it.
Wag.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Don't feel bad, there was a member one time who used to foe everybody, I think the name was Yahn Goody, or something like that. His foe list was longer than the friend list.

A foe is really not an enemy, it is somebody you keep on their toes, by the description.

So, really it's more of a compliment, than a bad thing.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Wag buddy...

It really turned me off the site a fair bit

Don't let an individual have that much power over you...and remember you are amongst a multitude of personalities and egos - you're gonna bump heads with a few people if you participate even at a minimal level.

Get caught up in the topics, not the drama...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Great topic, my friend!

In my honest opinion, if someone gets banned, they obviously have issues with self control or troll issues.
Maybe they should be forever bestowed with the letters 'TNT'.
You know,
Beware: Troll Not Tame. Procede with Caution

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Jsobecky was a legend around here. Too bad she was banned for her political views. I've looked into a few of some prolific banned members and this seems to be too common here on ATS.

Grover, RRConservative, TKainZero, all obviously banned for political views.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail

It really turned me off the site a fair bit 'cos I really thought you were all such a friendly, tolerant bunch...
Also, as an additional question, for those of you who have foe'd someone else, what were your reasons? And is it an indication of personal animosity?
I'm not sure how to take it.
Wag.

ATS at times is like highschool. Iv'e had freinds foe me for God only knows what reason. I must have said something. I have never foed anyone and only put someone on "ignore" briefly.

And you will find cliques, gangs, tribal affiliations, cults, amorous couples, Loners and malcontents here. Something for everyone.

Welcome Wag!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by whaaa]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks for the heads up! (and the welcome)
Variety is the spice of life... or so they say.
Hehehe, it's all good I guess, I'm so addicted to browsing through here I'd be devastated if banned!
Wag.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Jsobecky was a legend around here. Too bad she was banned for her political views. I've looked into a few of some prolific banned members and this seems to be too common here on ATS.

I don't think anyone gets banned for their political views. They get banned for being too passionate about their political views and crossing the line too frequently in regards to personal attacks on other members who don't share their political view.

Sadly for some people when they have no grounds for a solid argument they tend to abuse their opponents.

I really don't believe ATS or any of the Moderators care what any individual member's poltics are. They just care that discussions and debates be civil.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail
However... I've been foe'd by someone who I haven't even come across in any of the sections that I frequent and I haven't crossed paths with at all.

For what it's worth, there was an issue awhile back where a Firefox add on that let you preview a page before clicking a link was somehow or another causing people to accidentally Foe other posters if their cursor hovered over the button too long or something like that. There have been others who clicked Foe on accident. Had that happen to me actually. Sent them a U2U to ask why they had Foe'd me just out of curiosity and they sent me on back saying they didn't even know that they had.

Back to the OP, I've wondered a few times why banned members Friend and Foe lists aren't wiped when they get banned but I suppose it's not really too big of an issue. Not much to be done about it anyway.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by Ethericplane

It's not a guarantee but we're always willing to at least listen.

If a member is banned and they feel it is in error or if the banning finally makes them see the error of their ways and they wish to make amends, THE CONTACT FORM is always open.

Ok seriously what are the chances of that really happening?

What about a poster who feels that he/she should not have been banned to begin with but is willing to just let it go and learned something from the whole experience?

Not suggesting that I am that poster, but you never know

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

It depends.

If a member is sincere, really wants to participate, understands what the problem was and agrees to rectify it, the chances are very good.

If it's someone who has a long history of proving that they don't or won't get it, expects the site to modify the rules for them specifically, and has no intention of modifying the behavior that got them banned in the first place, the chances are -0-.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Wait, without going into specific banned members because it isn't right … you are suggesting that the members you stated were banned for their political views, without providing any evidence to this effect, even though for many in your list their views were diametrically opposed? So what, folks get banned for being both right wing and left wing?

You see the problem with your argument?

Or could it be that NO member from the one that joined in 2002, to the one that joined a minute ago, and including staff members, are above the T&C?

If there's one thing I have observed with certainty in my short time on ATS is that no one, no matter who they think they are, is exempt from the rules they agreed to when they joined, "legend" in their own mind or in the minds of others or not ... but you of course know this better than me as you've been here four years longer.

Just my humble opinion of course, and not really the topic of this thread.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by MrWendal

It depends.

If a member is sincere, really wants to participate, understands what the problem was and agrees to rectify it, the chances are very good.

If it's someone who has a long history of proving that they don't or won't get it, expects the site to modify the rules for them specifically, and has no intention of modifying the behavior that got them banned in the first place, the chances are -0-.

Ok.. well I guess worst case scenario is I get banned again... and I have no doubt I probably will be but here it goes....

I was formerly Section8citizen, and I was banned for "describing a sexual act" in a thread that had to deal with rape and false accusations of rape.

I feel that my posting history on this account as well as my previous account will clearly show if I am sincere and if I want to participate. I will leave that for others to decide.

I feel it is clear by the fact that I have never had so much as a warning on this account that I do "get it". I do not expect ATS to modify it's rules for me or to change anything based on what I think. I also feel that my behavior has been perfectly acceptable, again based on the fact that I have not received so much as a warning on this account. Of course I would have said the same thing on my previous account as well as the incident that resulted in my banning was the first and only incident that I have ever been a part of.

I still believe the same as I did when I was banned. I still believe that I should not have been banned. I wholeheartedly believe that I was banned because I refused to admit I was wrong, when I still to this day do not feel I was. Do I understand the position taken by the MOD who banned me? Sure I do. I can completely understand why he thought what he thought and how he could have interpreted my post in the manner in which he did. I understand it completely, however I still do not agree, and if memory serves me correctly that was exactly what I had said when I went from posting ban, to full ban.

Could I have done things differently or worded my post differently? Yes I think I could have, but I didn't. Do I know better now? Yes I think I do and I certainly would not expect the situation to repeat itself.

So there you have it... so I guess if I get banned again for admitting that I am already a banned member, so be it.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by MrWendal]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

That is pure BUNK...

It's obvious that it's pure bunk because there are thousands of members who share the political views of those members you listed who are still active and their accounts are in good stead with the site.

The difference? The people who are still active abide the TAC they agreed to when they joined, the others did not. Absolutely nothing to do with political views.

It would be amazingly STUPID to ban people over their political views, if everyone had the same perspective there wouldn't be much to discuss would there?

The fact is we get complaints from both sides of the aisle, the Libs complain that the site has "turned right wing" and the Cons complain that the site has become "a bastion of liberal leftness". That's how we know we are doing it right... EVERYBODY complains.

Springer...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

NO worries... Abide the TAC and you truly have no worries.

It's really THAT simple.

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join