It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When someone gets banned from ATS;

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I was looking at my profile page and at my favorite FOE's and I saw this name: CuriousSkeptic. Hmmmm No Idea who this is. Don't remember seeing him anywhere etc.

I got to his site and I see he was banned (I think in Feb). Some of the same info from mine is on his site- Except, most notabily, his Friend/Foe listings. I assume he either had none of either or they were erased etc when he got banned.

I guess I have to ask. Why do I still have to see his name on my page? The individual isn't around anymore.

I personally think all their tracks should be wipe from ATS. If they were banned, they should loose all and any fame/previldges/acolades and or honors etc.

Is there a reason his FOES (and maybe friend list) is still active but only to the ones choosen by that person? To remind the member someone FOE'd you or to remind the banned member-if they were to get back in?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Don't worry about it mate. Just wear the FOE like a badge of honor! I do!

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Is banned always permanent, or can it be "worked out"?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

As the other poster said, don't worry about it ... I was actually added as someones 'foe' the other day ... who then proceeded to tell me I needed 'mental help' via u2u

But just like you I'd never ever seen this person post on ATS ... and certainly not on any threads that I'd contributed to. I added this person to my 'friend' list just to redress the balance.

It just made me smile to think that people can have such a strong reaction to someone they know nothing about. Hey Ho !

Woody

[edit on 28-5-2010 by woodwytch]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethericplane

It can be worked out... but that obviously depends on both the member and their transgression. I've seen banned people come back once they've apologized to MGMT.

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

If they are banned, they don't deserve the honor of being on mine or anyones page IMO.

But, I know what you are saying. I wouldn't mind so much but I have no clue who they even were. The other FOE's-I know and remember what they FOE'd me for (thread-issue etc). Those are the ones I want to wear. hhehehe.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethericplane

It's not a guarantee but we're always willing to at least listen.

If a member is banned and they feel it is in error or if the banning finally makes them see the error of their ways and they wish to make amends, THE CONTACT FORM is always open.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have the same issue. I've asked before but I think I was misunderstood.

In my case I was made a friend of the banned member. I didn't mind I liked his posts. After he was gone the list never changed. The whole idea is to be able to follow someone is it not ? He isn't going to follow me anymore. Not from that account.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Bear in mind, we're on the cusp of a complete redesign. Many issues and concerns you may currently have are likely to be resolved with the new version. I'm confident things involving friend/foe issues are among them.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have removed my whole comment, as my ignorance was showing ... again
ZIP

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It's not a guarantee but we're always willing to at least listen.

Indeed...and then some.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

How the heck does someone get banned? LOL. I mean I seen some people be as rude and repugnant here and as vulgar as can be, and they never seem to get banned!!!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A friend of mine who had awesome posts/threads and a real fighter for truth and denying ignorance got banned for mentioning a conspiracy about some truth about a specific drug and the media. He got perm banned (evn though it was a legitimate argument) because apparently you couldn't talk about drugs in the short-lived drug forums... He went to another site and never came back.

I still value his posts and don't think they should be deleted simply because he got banned.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
CuriousSceptic also added me as a foe. I don't recall ever replying to any of his posts, or him replying to mine. That's weird.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
He has me down as a friend! So what did you guys do to annoy him?

For the member who asked how does one get banned? Plagiarizing and not sourcing content taken from another site or published author, explicit talk or innuendo of sex, and or drug use, recruiting for an organization, promoting another site without ATS’s permission, abusing staff members, and frequent back to back warnings, for posting off topic, attacking other members, or using profanity in your posts are all things that could get you banned from Above Top Secret.

There are probably a few more, but those are the most common.

[edit on 28/5/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
He has me down as a friend! So what did you guys do to annoy him?

For the member who asked how does one get banned? Plagiarizing and not sourcing content taken from another site or published author, explicit talk or innuendo of sex, and or drug use, recruiting for an organization, promoting another site without ATS’s permission, abusing staff members, and frequent back to back warnings, for posting off topic, attacking other members, or using profanity in your posts are all things that could get you banned from Above Top Secret.

There are probably a few more, but those are the most common.

[edit on 28/5/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

All of those will not necessarily get you banned. Each situation is different. But believe it or not, we try and work with members when they break ATS T&C to avoid them being banned. Banning members is not something we take lightly nor something we just do just because. And before a member is ever banned - their account is reviewed by all staff.

Many times people just do not want to work with staff. Many people get a zillion chances and just refuse to abide by T&C. Many people break T&C, get actioned, take it in stride and move on without any more infractions. Some people come here for the sole purpose of spamming/advertising. Those people do not last
Many times someone is banned and they go and complain to their friends that it was unjust, etc etc. Nobody is banned just for the hell of it. More than likely they refused to work with staff and behaved in a less than admirable manner.

Here is a hint to everyone: good attitude and willingness to work with staff will go a long ways in your favor.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I believe it greeneyedleo, the Staff does give members every chance to adhere to the Terms of Service and correct their mistakes.

Some people just don't play nicely with others, I think most members would agree its relatively easy to follow the Terms of Service, and ATS is more than fare about explaining it's policies and giving members every chance to follow the Terms of Service.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by anon72

As the other poster said, don't worry about it ... I was actually added as someones 'foe' the other day ... who then proceeded to tell me I needed 'mental help' via u2u

But just like you I'd never ever seen this person post on ATS ... and certainly not on any threads that I'd contributed to. I added this person to my 'friend' list just to redress the balance.

It just made me smile to think that people can have such a strong reaction to someone they know nothing about. Hey Ho !

Woody

[edit on 28-5-2010 by woodwytch]

Someone Foe'd you Woody? Right, that's it, who is this cretin so I can Foe'im too!!!

I have a Foe too, someone who disagreed very strongly with me (it turned out it was a misunderstanding) and then he got banned (something to do with the other place we're not allowed to mention). I often wonder about getting it removed, but then I think, what next? Better to leave it and be happy!!

Take care, kiwi

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

I still value his posts and don't think they should be deleted simply because he got banned.

You know, I really agree with this thought. Some people that have been banned, at one time or another were usually great contributors to the site.

I think it would be sort of sad to delete everything a banned member did, except for whatever offense took place.

Every now and then, a great old thread will pop up (I usually miss the date on the really good ones, and then realize how old it is after many pages, LOL) and some of those threads were by banned members. ATS still gets some mileage out of those threads, soooo? I don't think they should ever completely go away!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There has never been, nor will there ever be, a situation where we remove all of someone's posts because they were banned.

Not even at the request of the banned member, and yes, that's come up. We've even had members banned as a result of fits they threw over us refusing to delete all their posts.

It would potentially remove a lot of continuity in existing threads. It would make absolutely no sense to do that, and we won't.

Now we do have some former members who were banned as a result of posts which required deletion, but that's a whole other thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join