It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close to half of all marriages end in divorce. ’Til prenup do us part

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes people, divorce is just everyday business . . . and this are the reason you may need a prenup.

Divorce Is Widespread

Most Americans get married at some point in their life: just one out of five adults (22%) has never been married. Among those who have said their wedding vows, one out of three have been divorced at least once, according to a new study from The Barna Group.

Marriage Is the Norm

In addition to finding that four out of every five adults (78%) have been married at least once, the Barna study revealed that an even higher proportion of born again Christians (84%) tie the knot. That eclipses the proportion among people aligned with non-Christian faiths (74%) and among atheists and agnostics (65%).

www.barna.org...

Prenups are not longer a thing for the wealthy and celebrities, it should be a thing for everybody considering marriage that falls on the next 7 categories or that have issues within them.

I have been marry for 29 years I don't have a prenup, but I encourage my daughter and son to do so when they are ready to tie the knob

Do you have a prenup?

1. When significant assets are involved, such as a home, stock or retirement funds.

2. When there are children from previous marriages.

3. When one partner owns all or part of a business.

4. When one partner is much wealthier than the other.

5. When one spouse-to-be is much older.

6. When one partner will be supporting the other while he or she pursues a degree

7. When an inheritance is expected.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

It is estimated that upwards of 95% of divorces in the U.S. are "uncontested," because the two parties are able to come to an agreement (either with or without lawyers/mediators/collaborative counsel) about the property, children and support issues. When the parties can agree and present the court with a fair and equitable agreement, approval of the divorce is almost guaranteed.

en.wikipedia.org...

Divorce in america has been in decline, but that is because marriage has also been in decline

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Very good advice marg. Wish I had done that with all four of my marriages.

It would have saved me much trouble.

Thankfully, I am now immune to marriage. But if I were to change my mind you can bet I would demand a prenup before the I do's.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
i was once told by a wise man if i ever want to have money never get married, never have kids

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ive never been married an not so sure these days i want too. im 35 and fallig behind, no kids or nothing. im a hard working male, who belives in dedication, communication, and not lying. IF i ever got married its once in my life and thats it. so for me, it would be the one ide run after, so everyday of her life, would be more than interesting, not boring.
Online, talking with women, its sad. most cheat on thier husband, becuase they feel he is not good in bed or selfish in bed. others got married at too young an age like 18-20 leading to being divorced within a 2-3 year period. its all about communication, and the man has got to keep the one he said he loved entertained..rather than afte a while, yuor both used to eachother, the romance is ogne, he comes hoe wants dinner then falls asleep infront of the tv or goes too bed.
Ive actually heard guys say online..'as soon as i said those words, I do the sex was over' yuo cannot be married and live a life of selevacy between eachother. its about attraction. not sex* yuor nto feeling eachother, yuor both gunna get tired n bored of eachother REAL quick.
america, so ive read, has the highest divorce rate of any nation. Yuong women all want to be married, early 20's or so. US guys are scared of it lol, at least i am.
It makes me think of an older SIMPSONS cartoon. one day, Bart simpson falls in love with his babysitter lady friend. he has a dream later on, the sky turns red..she loks at him angry in the dream, pulls his heart out, and says you wont be needing this anymore* at least with my realtionships ive been in, this is what ive learned.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think its really sad that so many marriages end up in divorce.

Im 28, never been married and have no kids, i would like to think if i ever get married it will be the one and only time. My mum and dad are still together and still very much in love, they still walk holding hands which i think is sweet. So hopefully one day i find a relationship like that, one that wont grow sour and will only keep getting better

People should stop divorcing at the first sign of trouble and try and work things out together instead, if you really love the other person then this should'nt be too hard.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Lady_Tuatha]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think divorce is so common in society because most people are emotionally crippled and have dysfunctional relationships.
I have chosen to never get married even once and I don't do serious relationships because I take them as just that....serious.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

My friend I see that long lasting relationship has elude you too many times, don't feel bad, my sister has been in the same boat for many years, failed marriage, failed relationships and when finally found her dream man, he passed away one month after the wedding.

Sad.

She is still looking regardless . . .

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

I don't regret getting marry and I am very sure I will be with my husband for the rest of my life, we had our ups and downs but so far we have learn to take everyday as it was the last with each other, we are happy. . .

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I think what will be if I was not marry at all.

ziggy1706 you are still young and perhaps the time will come when you find somebody worthy, and if you don't well I have a few friends that are very happy to be in their 40s and never been marry at all and don't regret it either.

Lady_Tuatha My daughter just turn 26 and she said that is not worry about getting marry and having children, even when she's been dating for a year already and her boyfriend is a nice young man with an excellent job.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
All my marriages ended in divorce and in everyone of them my ex took everything I had except for my dog, a paper sack full of Tshirts and Levis, and a broken down F150. Those were the days!

But today, I am friends and lovers with all my ex's. What's that tell you?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes it is, sad but this what we most deal with when our children and grandchildren enter the marriage bond.

That is why is so important for anybody considering marriage this days to get into a prenup as a safety measure

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Oh, my whaaa you are something else, tell me do you have children with the ex's?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My wife and I have been married 9 ½ years. I think we are just as close if not closer than we were when we first got married. We have been through our times but really do not fight. If we do argue we are pretty quick to get over it.

I believe it also helps to be close friends as well as being partners. Sex is still a big part of our relationship as well. Many times a week works great for us. I never understood those saying that once they got married the sex stopped. That sounds insulting to me but then again so does the new thing of sleeping in separate bedrooms I hear so much about. Why would I want to be married if I had to sleep separately from my wife every night of my life?

I think there is a lot behind the rise of divorce, but really, I would save that for another thread. I think for the most part few marriages are started on the true concept of love though.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by whaaa

Oh, my whaaa you are something else, tell me do you have children with the ex's?

No Darlin, I never had any kids. I had my tubes tied into little knots when I was in college. I saw plenty of my friends in accidental paternal situations that became very ugly.

I knew very early that my lifestyle wouldn't include fatherhood.
However a couple of my ex's have had children with their other husbands and I love those kids as if they were my own.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I think divorce is so common in society because most people are emotionally crippled and have dysfunctional relationships.
[...]

Not mention the following:
More and more people are walking around with fake and dyed hair
More and more people are walking around with fake faces
More and more people are walking around with fake breasts
More and more people are walking around with fake scents (pheromone disruptors)
More and more people are walking around with fake skin colours
More and more people are walking around without body hair
More and more people are walking around with deceptive wealth/lack there of
More and more people are meeting prospective life partners in trivial situations
More and more people have little to no understanding of what it means to be human
More and more people enter into relationships in a futile attempt to fill voids in their damaged consciousness.

etc etc blah blah TV blah

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Good for you, when people find their true love is a lifelong commitment, hey I have been marry for 29 years.

My secret? well I am a hard heart Puertorican.

Plus we like to keep ourselves looking good for each other, one thing is love and another when you look at a partner that is pleasing to the eye.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Interesting, i never knew any man that would not contemplate fatherhood, but then again my son at 23 said that he doesn't want children either, even when his girlfriend does.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

She still looks fine, not like the day we married but fine. I guess as long as she is willing to have sex with me I will be set, I sort of crave sex a lot.

I find her most attractive though because we are best friends. If we did not get along the way we did I doubt we would ever have gotten together. She was dating women before she dated me. So I really did not have the normal parts she was into.

Raist

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I have chosen to never get married even once and I don't do serious relationships because I take them as just that....serious.

That's a really good point. I think you could look at this the other way too: marriage is very common because people are emotionally crippled and have no idea what to do with themselves. They're bored, scared and afraid of ending up alone. They don't know who they are so they find the first person similar to them that they can enter into a "lifelong marriage contract" with so that they won't have to deal with bigger issues and will just fit into society like everyone else.

I'm not knocking marriage here. I just think it's not automatically for everyone, and it takes two very responsible, emotionally stable people to get into it. How many people like that do you know?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by warza

You do not always have to be stable and completely responsible to make a marriage work. I know no one who is always the above listed.

What you do need though is the ability to communicate with others and the patience to work through problems that might arise. This is not a grantee for all marriage working but it would certainly have helped many a failed ones. That along with not jumping into it before you are ready.

Raist

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
A marriage license should be like any other license, it expires after a certain amount of time. Lets say you can get a 5 year or a maximum 10 year license and then if you want to stay married you simply renew it, if not then your assets gained during the marriage period get divided and you go on your marry way.

new topics

top topics

join