It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Used Bill Clinton to Ask Sestak to Drop Out of Race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

White House Used Bill Clinton to Ask Sestak to Drop Out of Race

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com

President Obama’s chief of staff used former President Bill Clinton as an intermediary to see if Representative Joe Sestak would drop out of a Senate primary if given a prominent, but unpaid, advisory position, people briefed on the matter said Friday.

Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, asked Mr. Clinton to explore the possibilities last summer, according to the briefed individuals, who insisted on anonymity to discuss the politically charged situation. Mr. Sestak said no and went on to win last week’s Pennsylvania Democratic primary against Senator Arlen Specter.

The Whit
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org

edit on by JacKatMtn because: bbcode

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So this is the story from the administration, it figures that Rahm was the key staffer involved with this effort.

The ball is now in Sestak's court to confirm or deny this explanation that surfaced this morning.

Interesting using the former President as a conduit to put a bit of legal separation between Sestak and the White House.

Will this end now? Depends on Sestak's take.

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on by JacKatMtn because: bbcode

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well I was right about one thing, They were going to throw Rahm Under the bus or Rahm went in willingly to keep the agenda alive.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So, if Bill Clinton asked Sestak if he would drop out of the race for an advisory position... If he just ASKED to see what Sestak's response would be, is that illegal?

No paying position was offered, he was just ASKED by someone who isn't in the administration... How could Clinton offer him a job?

I know it's a bit slimy, but I don't think they can do anything about this, if it's true.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I doubt it will.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Update at 11:05 a.m. ET: The Washington Post also reports Emanuel asked Clinton "to talk to Joe Sestak about whether he was serious about running for Senate, and to feel out whether he'd be open to other alternatives."

Well, it is plausable. I will give them that-that they did their homework before coming up with this excuse. But, in an attempt to be fair, open and honest, according to Sestak in one of his taped interviews he did state "back in July...etc" and when the interveiwer said by the President-he said "yes". So, there is an out. (many of his appearence where he discussed the issue can be found here: www.abovetopsecret.com...)

On August 4, 2009, Sestak announced his candidacy for the seat in the United States Senate held by five-term incumbent Arlen Specter, whom he challenged for the Democratic nomination.[5][6] He defeated him for the nomination on May 18, 2010, and will face GOP nominee Pat Toomey in the general election.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

Well, the damage is done-for Sestak- IMO here. He seemes to be dropping in favorability-at least where I am at, the Capitol of PA-Harrisburg. You see Toomey signs everywere and his supporters out and about. But none of Sestak's.

Maybe it is just the holiday weekend and with the Democrates having such poor work histories/records around here-I shouldn't be surprised

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I saw the story on Fox News while I was flipping channels and from what I understand the fact that someone from the White House asked the Clinton's who are close friends with Sestak) about what may persuade him not to run was the point that is going to bite them. If Rahm asked, then it was likely that the President said something to him about it.

What is so ironic about this is that the only reason Obama and Co. tried anything was because they wanted to keep Arlen Spector in Pennsylvania. So not only did they not get what they wanted, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and more of the facade is being broken down as a result.

Though I wonder how much can be left for the masses to be convinced by anymore.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There all corrupt and the 2 party system is what is primarly wrong with the USA.... in my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Its taking a few days for everyone to get their stories straight. If there was nothing done that was illegal, why not come forward with the complete explanation immediately?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

"You can fool most of the people most of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time, because you can't fool me."- unknown

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is an interesting development. Now comes the delicate ballet of semantics as this administration continues to squirm its way out of another rotten pickle.

They have had plenty of time to get this story right....

Good Find!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I know it's a bit slimy, but I don't think they can do anything about this, if it's true.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this. I doubt it will.

It is slimy. But I agree.
I think it falls under the gray area where we realize it's "wrong" but not illegal.

Bill Clinton is certainly turning into quite the White House boy toy however. It seems, like with North Korea, he is being sent to do the dirty work that the White House really doesn't want to be directly related with.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Bill Clinton is certainly turning into quite the White House boy toy however. It seems, like with North Korea, he is being sent to do the dirty work that the White House really doesn't want to be directly related with.

Still though, Clinton is not the president anymore. His orders have to come from higher ups.

To only mention Clinton's name is like mentioning the entire white house, because Clinton is not an autonomous figure.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Maybe it's me, but it seems to me that Bill Clinton has his greasy fingers into everything.

Worlds biggest fundraiser, bucking for the lead of the UN. This guy (Clinton) is the antichrist, as far as I'm concerned.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MY2Commoncentsworth
Its taking a few days for everyone to get their stories straight. If therewas nothing done that was illegal, why not come forward with the complete explanation immediately?
Because it takes a couple of days(for the lawyers) to 'remember' what the story was.

That's all, nothing to worry about...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Now, I just see this, released yesterday. Forewarning-if you will-that the W.H would be releasing something today and he couldn't speak until then>.!LOL

Sestak Says Brother Spoke to W.H. on Allegations
Thursday, 27 May 2010 11:47 PM Article Font Size

Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa., already under fire for allegations he was offered a job by the Obama administration to drop his successful primary Senate bid, said Thursday that his brother has spoken with White House officials about the controversy.

Sestak ran in, and won his primary bid, defeating the White House's preferred candidate, Sen. Arlen Specter.

He told reporters Thursday that he would not expand upon his prior statements until the White House releases its report on the matter. President Obama said in his news conference that such a report would come "shortly."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: www.newsmax.com...

Richard Sestak, the congressman's brother, who has served as his top political adviser and campaign lawyer, spoke with administration officials Wednesday, Joe Sestak said.

"They got a hold of my brother on his cell phone, and he spoke to the White House . . . about what's going to occur," said Sestak, who said he expects the White House will release its information Friday. He declined to elaborate on his discussions with Richard. Read the entire story in The Washington Post: www.washingtonpost.com...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think it is clear enough now to see that if he does win and gets into the Senate-he'll fit right in with the other Adam Henrys (A.H's).

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hmmmm...so the one guy who has a history of having no qualms about lying/"distorting" the truth under oath is the one who made the offer, how convenient.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I love the word games being played. Sestak claimed to have been offered a "job", yet the official explanation is he was offered a unpaid advisory position? Damage control is hoping the public will not look to deep at this one

[edit on 28-5-2010 by hangedman13]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

It's a slippery slope, but he's not on the payroll. Simply because he was President, doesn't mean the White House is responsible for all that he does now.

Look at Al Gore, he was the Vice President and when the climate scandal began happening the White House certainly distanced themselves then -- despite the position he held.

I realize that the argument that VP is less than Prez can be made, but I believe that argument is grasping at straws.

I think it's "wrong". But I think there are enough loopholes and potential scapegoats to make this all go away.

Hell, Bill is so controlled by Hillary he's likely to stand up and say it was all his idea and his alone.

Who knows? It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. My guess is that the MSM drops it before tomorrow morning and it will all be forgotten.

Remember the direct bribe for Louisiana's vote? That was certainly more damning in my opinion, especially because money was offered for the vote itself, and that disappeared.

Obama, for whatever reason, seems untouchable.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Gore is out there doing things that are independent of the white house. He was doing the same thing under Bush.

Bill Clinton could not have had the autonomy to propose this deal forward had it not been a green light from those who are in charge of this administration. Bill has always hated Obama just because how his wife was swift boated as a closest racist. For him to do something for this administration, he would have personally been guaranteed something or his wife and it had to have the highest authority of approval.

Through out Sestak's entire campaign, he had always said that intends on being the Lap Dog Obama wanted. I don't think it would fly in anyone's mind that Bill was the sole person responsible for this. They might not be able to reach Obama, but someone else has to go from his staff.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I certainly hope the investigation into this matter goes well beyond the WH's own internal Okey Dokey. This needs to be thoroughly vetted via a third party investigation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yes. And it will be interesting to see who the scapegoat will be. Certainly not Rhambo..... that is unless the MSM quashes it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join