It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BP dismantling the Gulf oil spill BOP

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Also... I am doing the fear mongering... but do you have any idea what the media outside of the US is reporting... Do you??

www.presstv.ir...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Are you saying that a Russian news source wouldn't take the opportunity to tarnish BP or the US? Come on really, please read between the lines of the news story.

Back to my earlier point, the image here

shows what I was referring to, this pipe you can see rising above the flange is what a seal has to be made over. See how bent it is? That is why it may leak.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This is soo painful to watch. I'm hoping some other people saw that huge claw thing they had earlier. Why can't they use that, but instead of it having sharp blades replace them with something dull and flat so that it crimps the end of the pipe closed.

Even if it doesn't work, which I really think it would. All they would have to do is cut the bolts on that flange and there would be a nice flat surface to mount to lower riser package to.

It's makes me sick to watch, because I think they are throwing away there only chance to seal this leak.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
reply to post by alexhiggins732

Alex I can agree to disagree, but however I will not concede that that your argument is better than mine "Just Because".

Upon what do you base your conclusion that all of the suggestions sent to BP are ignored? You call them conclusions. They are not. A conclusion implies an ending based on evidence gathered. What you have made are assumptions which you ply as fact. - That's where I objected.

The bit about the "sensationalist fear mongering" yeah I'll admit it, I was having a bit of a dig but remember this sites motto is "deny Ignorance"

Also posting lots of links and telling me about google isn't necessary, I can search news on google too.

Lastly you didn't address my final point addressing your post. Here it is again.

Its because it has to fit over a riser pipe that was attached to a now sunken oil rig possibly also being bent or distorted somewhat in the process, which now needs to be cut off at a depth of 5000feet by a robot. They can't guarantee a decent seal under these circumstances. Which taking into consideration the above is quite understandable.

Are BP really just being "Evil oil" or do you think this might be why it could continue to leak? BP never decided to "Oh never mind lets let it leak till August, we'll catch some oil in the meantime" it is simply the most practical and logical next step solution at this time since relief wells can't be drilled in 15 minutes.

Edit-:

Again, I believe that there are many better options that BP should be trying and their conflict of interest between their bottom line (making a profit) and the best interests of the public has caused them to decide to use the LMRP instead of trying a method to stop the leak.

Instead of trying "a method"? What would your solution be then?

[edit on 1/6/2010 by who-me?]

I already stated the basis of my conclusion... 1) It is widely reported in the media that they are ignoring those ideas 2) They are doing what that had already planned which means they could not possibly be using the tens of thousands of ideas and suggestions they have received.

As far as addressing your last point. I thought I did that as well. I believe that BP is continuing to allow it to leak so they can make profit in the mean time. I also believe they are not using any suggestions that would permanently cap the well because they plan on being able to use it in future.

I have offered several solutions but they may not be feasible since I don't know the facts as BP is hiding them from the public.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here are some of the ideas I have submitted...

"Construct a massive oil chimney around the leak and capture oil from top of oil chimney until relief wells are completed."

"Cut BOP from drill pipe. Create a huge pipe (perhaps out of sewage pipes) that goes from seabed to sea surface. The pipe will fill with oil and can be collected at the surface. This will contain the oil until the relief wells can be completed."

"cut the bop from drill pipe then place large electromagnets around the remaining pipe sticking up from the seafloor. Shoot magnetic substances into pipe then active magnet to hold metal in place. use dome to capture the rest of the leaking oil."

"Cut BP from drill pipe and shove a large cork into drill pipe, perhaps a telephone pole sharpened like a pencil. If necessary, make the telephone pole cork a projectile (perhaps on a torpedo) and shoot it into the drill pipe."

"shoot molten metal into the drill pipe after cutting BOP from dill pipe. Ocean will instantly cool metal creating an instant weld."

"Cut Bop from drill pipe. Anchor a ramrod (think of a log splitter) (perhaps anchored with 400 containment dome) that can jack a cork into the drill pipe."

"Cut the BOP from the drill pipe and then a) huge the 400 ton containment dome to shove remaining drill pipe into the ground. Cover the whole with large rocks and then gravel and finally create a seal with massive amounts of cement"

"Cut bop from drill pipe. Place containment dome over pipe... jack a large piece of wood like a telephone pole into the

"Cut the BOP from the drill pipe and Shoot a large inflatable "airbag" into the drill pipe and then inflate the airbag."

[edit on 1-6-2010 by alexhiggins732]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogwomp

I like your idea of crimping the pipe off, I agree it could work, but they would be in a whole world of trouble if it didn't, remember that pipe has a drill pipe inside it as well, the oil is leak from the annular (gap between pipes I think) if the crimping failed, you could end up having to cut anyway. Also after removing the outer flange, if you could, the internal drill pipe would still be a jagged problem since we can already see its bent and would need cutting anyway. I agree with them that cutting it off flat one time is the best solution at this time.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Then there are the obvious solutions, like the nuke or shooting cement or some kind of polymer down the drill pipe.

The mud worked to retain the oil for top kill why did they just not use cement?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I think crimping the pipe closed would work because you are not fighting any of the pressure. You would be coming at it from around the pipe just like that machine that is cutting it now. How do they stop an artery from bleeding during an operation they put a clamp on it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I wasn't sure if the drill pipe was still in the riser. That certainly complicates things. I wonder if they could push it in past that flange once it is cut. I was thinking how would superman stop the leak. If could figure out how he would do it and use a machine to do exactly that. That's what made me think of crimping it. Using a pair of pliers on a garden hose going full blast seems to work like a charm.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by alexhiggins732

Just do this, just do that, you obviously have little to no concept off the engineering hurdles involved in most of what you've said.

I'll check em off in the order you posted them.

1. Construct a massive oil chimney

Essentially been tried and failed (I'm referring to the dome thing attempted), hydrates freezing etc etc. BTW how long would making a 5000ft chimney take 40miles off shore starting underwater. Beyond August I assure you.

2. All the BOP cutting ideas

BOP's weigh in at approx 450000-pounds, ya can't just cut it off, secondly, there is unlikely to be the room to get any cutting tool or robot in between the BOP and the seafloor. That's if you could hold it up to stop it from crushing your ROV after its cut free.

3. Some other your other ideas....

If and its a huge "If" as stated earlier, just how do you suppose that you pump cement or molten metal down a hole 5000ft below the oceans surface with an exit pressure of over 3000psi? Answer, you just can't. Not to mention keeping the metal hot enough to stay molten underwater in the quantities needed.

Also the remaining valves or functioning attachments are on the BOP. To get anything into the well at this point, its the only way until the releif wells are completed. Its better off being there.

I won't answer the telegraph pole ideas or the shooting stuff into the hole. But lastly we haven't invented a nuke that can be deployed at the pressures found at 5000ft underwater also to deploy it assuming it exists, we'd still have to drill a hole to put it in. AKA relief well.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
If the drill pipe is still in the riser what's to stop it from shooting out at 200 mph when they cut through it?

I heard that they had the wrong sheers installed in the BOP that could have caused the drill pipe to be jammed at an angle.

The best case I think at this point, is that once the riser is cut a piece of the drill pipe comes flying out and that the rams inside the BOP will be unjammed and able to do there job. My fingers are crossed. Funny how if this thing is stopped it might be by accident. I'm really starting to believe BP want's this well to keep flowing,

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

A massive oil chimney has not been tried. There containment dome idea sucked. The dome wasn't even solid. That was not a chimney. It was a vacuum.

A chimney would be a big enclosure from the bottom of the seafloor to the surface that could be as big as needed and keeps the oil confined are in a relativity that can easily be processed on the surface.

As far as your objection to the BOP cutting ideas I must disagree, in face other blowouts have been fixed by cutting or remove a damaged BOP taking it to the surface, repairing it and the reinstalling it.

The nuke idea involves drilling alongside the whole and detonating it under ground, your argument that a nuke has not been designed that can be detonated a that level makes no sense.

To make a nuclear reaction you need only to fire two pieces of nuclear material that have a total mass greater than the critical mass of the material. Once an amount greater than the critical mass exists as a single mass the the chain reaction is started which causes the radioactive material to decay rapidly until the material reaches its critical mass at which point it will decay according to its normal half life.

Seriously, It's really not that complicated. You take two shells using the radioactive material as the bullet and fire them at each other. When they collide, nuclear reaction. The tricky science actually involves fire multiple "radioactive bullets" simultaneously so they all collide at the same time in addition to designing a casing the refracts as many electrons as possible inwards to continue the chain reaction so that they are not lost.

Now you mean to tell me that they you can fire two bullets at 5,000 ft. Nonsense.

Further more the gravity inside of the sun is much greater, while that does use fusion we have those bombs as well.

Furthermore, It has also been suggested to use enough TNT, or a similar military grade high explosive such as Ammonium Nitrate, C4, or RD to give a similar payload as a nuke.

Other variations include a thermite explosive material that would weld the pipes together or a specially designed explosive, like a "safe-cracker" that would crush the pipe shut.

I can agree that removing the BOP is a scary proposition. However, removing that 5 story obstruction really simplifies capping the leak.

KISS (Keep it simple stupid). Look at all of the engineering going on. Each is a possible point of failure.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Its this bent

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
You can be sure they'll use a relief well, not to relieve the outburst, but to sink a low-yield nuclear weapon into the seabed, come August.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I can't figure out to embed images directly... so why don't you take a look through these... Plenty of screen shots....

picasaweb.google.com...#

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by alexhiggins732
reply to post by who-me?

Its this bent

Yes it is. Your point being?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

I thought your where asking just how bent it is. No!?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alexhiggins732

A massive oil chimney has not been tried. There containment dome idea sucked. The dome wasn't even solid. That was not a chimney. It was a vacuum.

Doesn't matter if its solid or not, will still freeze.

A chimney would be a big enclosure from the bottom of the seafloor to the surface that could be as big as needed and keeps the oil confined are in a relativity that can easily be processed on the surface.

Ludicrous, no-ones gonna build a 5000ft chimney underwater anyway.

As far as your objection to the BOP cutting ideas I must disagree, in face other blowouts have been fixed by cutting or remove a damaged BOP taking it to the surface, repairing it and the reinstalling it.

Sounds like you made that up, I'll stand corrected if you can post evidence of that.

The nuke idea involves drilling alongside the whole and detonating it under ground, your argument that a nuke has not been designed that can be detonated a that level makes no sense.

To make a nuclear reaction you need only to fire two pieces of nuclear material that have a total mass greater than the critical mass of the material. Once an amount greater than the critical mass exists as a single mass the the chain reaction is started which causes the radioactive material to decay rapidly until the material reaches its critical mass at which point it will decay according to its normal half life.

Seriously, It's really not that complicated. You take two shells using the radioactive material as the bullet and fire them at each other. When they collide, nuclear reaction. The tricky science actually involves fire multiple "radioactive bullets" simultaneously so they all collide at the same time in addition to designing a casing the refracts as many electrons as possible inwards to continue the chain reaction so that they are not lost.

Now you mean to tell me that they you can fire two bullets at 5,000 ft. Nonsense.

Thanks for the attempted lesson in nuclear physics if you really think that its simple, ask yourself why everyone doesn't have one lol. What you've said is insane, firing two bullets at the same time underwater next to the well at 5000 feet so that they go pop at the same time after being aimed at the hole ya just drilled and stop the leak oh and do some more at the same time as well. Nah not that complicated at all.
I'll just nip out to my shed and make a couple of them special nuclear guns that fire stuff 5000ft under water. Please.........

Further more the gravity inside of the sun is much greater, while that does use fusion we have those bombs as well.

This one's got me, what the ... does the gravity of the sun have to do with any of this?

And ya say I'm talkin nonsense hahahaha ok.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It's obvious that the riser is bent. This would suggest that the steel the riser is made from is not all that brittle, if it were brittle it would have snapped clean off instead of bend the way it did. This just adds weight IMO that the pipe could be crimped. Don't they have like a mile of the riser laying on the sea bed in which to try the crimping method on. Also the fact that it is bent might even make the crimping that much easier.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogwomp

I agree, the crimping I think is a good idea, but I guess its down to risk assessment in the end as to the problems caused cutting the pipe off after if been crimped if it continued to leak.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join