It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BP dismantling the Gulf oil spill BOP

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Why cant they just dig down a bit and crimp the line? I know we are in the deep end but with todays technology there should be no excuse this has gone on so long. We all need to brainstorm for ideas with as off the wall as that sounds. Heck scratch that. The damage is already done... just nuke the thing!

[edit on 5/29/2010 by AndrewTB]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Why cant they just dig down a bit and crimp the line? I know we are in the deep end but with todays technology there should be no excuse this has gone on so long. We all need to brainstorm for ideas with as off the wall as that sounds. Heck scratch that. The damage is already done... just nuke the thing!

[edit on 5/29/2010 by AndrewTB]

I agree with you that there has to be a way to stop it. Afterall if we tapped it- certainly that was alot of pressure- well there should be a way to plug it. And if not, there should be a way for the ROV to CUT through this BOP and divert to a new one, then taking the ROV and cut the busted one off. I just cant see how that isnt possible, with an ROV. I mean its flipping the dang thing around like its no big deal when the camera zooms out.

But Nukes? That has bad idea written all over it.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The simple fix is PLUGGING the hole???? Why didnt BP think of that...........

Not to be rude in anyway but this hole is a MILE under water...

I am sure they would of tried it the last time a big leak happened in 200 feet of water.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Why can't BP convert the lines they were using to pump in the mud to instead pump out the oil? It seems these lines connect to the BOP at the bottom of the well head, instead of at the top where the leak seems to be.

Surely this would have some impact on the amount of oil escaping...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Do we really need more BP/oil threads?

No the panda's haven't f'd yet. I'm Ron Burgundy?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pepesilvia

Are you suggesting that this topic is not important enough to be conversed with a high level of intensity and awareness?

If we were at war with Iran, would you say "Don't we have enough threads on the US blowing up Iran"?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by user414

That seems like a good way to slow down SOME of the oil. I wonder if there are check valves to prevent back flow. Maybe they can only pump in but not out with those lines.

Even if they could pump out, that would prevent Top Kill efforts and oil would still be gushing through the existing leaks.

Too many unknowns for me.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

Well if the "Top Kill" isn't working, maybe collecting some of the oil is better than trying to clog the head with no success.

Maybe someone who knows a little more about these lines and their flow capacity will chime in...?

Besides, this leak is full of unknowns already.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by user414

They are the equivalent of:

The oil's still leaking.....wait wait, nope, still leaking...hold on, crap it's still leaking.

Retards uttering it hasn't stopped leaking yet. For all the people who think it's such a big deal, nothing has been done to help.

WAIT WAIT, damnit! still leaking.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hey, you guys, come over and read the other Thread .. start on the last page and work backward ... couple factoids there, ... and maybe just maybe they will get the Dxxx thing stopped!!

Gee, this is just error upon error upon error ... who would have thought?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This whole thing is making me just shake my head. I mean they must be up to something or they are not telling us something. With all our technology surely we can fix something like this in a timely fashion, I mean its been weeks.

Plus, whats with suspending all drilling everywhere else? Something just does not sit right with me but maybe im just paranoid.

Maybe there gonna use this happening to force all this carbon crap on the world again.

Me and my wife spent our honeymoon over there and I just hope that they have not ruined it as was a beautiful place.

Are thoughts are with you guys from the UK.

Peace

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The reason that they cannot dig, scratch, pull, blow or otherwise disturb the piping that exsists down there now was explained by Bill Nye, he said that the ground is extremely fragile at the location of the leak, and under a tremendous amount of pressure as well, any disturbance of the area will cause the breaks that exsist to become larger. This is why (for all you nuke it lovers) it cannot be nuked to fix it.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Not that I doubt Bill Nye... He's an awesome guy.

But wouldn't forcing more material into the well head (the Top Kill) be way more dangerous than extracting material through the same pipes. Again, I'm not sure this is possible because I don't know enough about how the BOP is constructed.

I would think injecting mud at a high enough rate to stop the flow of oil would stand a much higher chance of increasing the damage than removing oil from the flow...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by user414

It is essentially a crap shoot. They already said it is only a 40 to 60 percent chance it will work. Bill Nye saw it as a chance, but not really a good shot at sealing the leak.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepesilvia
reply to post by user414

They are the equivalent of:

The oil's still leaking.....wait wait, nope, still leaking...hold on, crap it's still leaking.

Retards uttering it hasn't stopped leaking yet. For all the people who think it's such a big deal, nothing has been done to help.

WAIT WAIT, damnit! still leaking.

Pepesilvia,

I kind of agree with you. The only thing mentioned on these threads is what you mentioned, as well as, COVER UP!!! ad nauseum...

99% of the "observers" posting DO NOT know what they are really looking at or know exactly what the procedures / actions are that are taking place.

Unless you are privy to the the plans that are being implemented by the engineers topside and what the ROV operators are being told to focus on, no one knows what is happening.

These feeds are not for public enjoyment or for "conspiracy" blog inputs, but are supplied so that the public is being shown that BP is keeping them informed, even if they do not know what they are "observing".

They ROV feeds are for the people topside to direct operations, that's it!!

So, I guess, if you know what each feed MEANS or how it is incorporated in the "big picture", all there is is pure speculation and paranoia build up by sites that who also don't know what they are observing.

Sorry for the RANT but it is hard for me to sit here daily and continue to read such "armchair quarterbacking" when the quarter backs do not even know what the game is!!!

Thanks,
Tom

(and yes I work on rigs here in the ME and I don't know the big picture, either)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
The reason that they cannot dig, scratch, pull, blow or otherwise disturb the piping that exsists down there now was explained by Bill Nye, he said that the ground is extremely fragile at the location of the leak, and under a tremendous amount of pressure as well, any disturbance of the area will cause the breaks that exsist to become larger. This is why (for all you nuke it lovers) it cannot be nuked to fix it.

Space Cadet,

Do you mean THE Bill Nye, the award winning, "I know everything about everything" SCIENCE GUY???

I don't think he is either a driller or a geologist. He gets paid, yes paid, for his 0.0002 cents worth. He is just another iconic talking head.

Be very careful who you listen to before you raise your paranoia level!!

Enough said, Thanks again,
Tom

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by user414
reply to post by space cadet

Not that I doubt Bill Nye... He's an awesome guy.

But wouldn't forcing more material into the well head (the Top Kill) be way more dangerous than extracting material through the same pipes. Again, I'm not sure this is possible because I don't know enough about how the BOP is constructed.

I would think injecting mud at a high enough rate to stop the flow of oil would stand a much higher chance of increasing the damage than removing oil from the flow...

User414,
Nicely put except the Bill Nye thing.

See my posts above.

Thanks,
Tom

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I stumbled across this Interview which I have not seen posted here. Its quite insightful and informative.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

I wasn't saying that Bill Nye is the authority on everything science, just paying homage to a guy that I grew up watching on TV and who knows way more about how things work than I do.

But I'm not letting Bill's quoted opinion change my mind that there could be something to my unorthodox idea of pumping the oil out the same way they pumped the mud in.

I hope someone with some real expertise confirms or debunks my theory.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by user414
reply to post by tomdham

I wasn't saying that Bill Nye is the authority on everything science, just paying homage to a guy that I grew up watching on TV and who knows way more about how things work than I do.

But I'm not letting Bill's quoted opinion change my mind that there could be something to my unorthodox idea of pumping the oil out the same way they pumped the mud in.

I hope someone with some real expertise confirms or debunks my theory.

Well (pun intended),
At the expense of giving away my age I used to watch "Mr. Wizard" on B&W TV. BUT I would not listen to him regarding a field (another pun) of which he has no expertise. No matter how much homage(???) you believe he deserves.

To your second and third paragraphs: Yes and yes, well said.

Thanks,
Tom

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join