It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man dies of uterine cancer linked to transplant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I guess no even transplants in this time and age can be safe, I believe this organs are tested to make sure they are safe for the donor.

NEW YORK - Vincent Liew waited five years for the kidney that was supposed to change his life. Instead, the organ ended it.

The kidney came from a woman who had uterine cancer, but she and doctors didn't know it. Once her disease was discovered after the transplant, Liew's doctors highly doubted it could spread to him.

But in seven months, Liew was killed by cancer that his autopsy linked to the transplant.

Sad that this happen, but this may slow the way transplants are done, now perhaps new regulations on how this transplants will be tested will be in order

Now nobody knew that the donor had cancer either

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Unbelievable! Lesson learned. I'm sorry the fellow had to be the one to discover the possibility of this, however, I guess it's valuable information.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's very hard to diagnose cancer for one, but its stupid to think, after it was discovered, that it wouldn't affect the new host body, I think it is common sense that it would have the ability to spread. But surely not the first time that a disease has been transferred this way.

Indeed new regulations need to be put in place, and new trustworthy methods to diagnose cancer much more accurately.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My first reaction was what a bizzare story, until I clicked on the link and read the entire peice.

The man had a choice of having the kidney removed, and chose not to. I don't think it's right that his widow should be able to sue.

While organs are screened for some tests, my thoughts are that they will be encouraging people who want to be donors, be DNA tested for possible links to diseases they might develope at some later point, even though the article does not say this.

I am an organ donor right now, but to be honest, I don't think I'd consider more invasive tests, to prove my organs worthy for somebody who needs them.

It's like buying used vehicle parts at a junkyard. You never really know exactly what you are going to get, or how long the part will be good for!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I am a donor also, I actually was under the impression that in this time and age, organs are tested before they are given to a recipient.

I know that sometimes is just a matter of life and death and that organs has to be implanted right away without hours of the donor passing away.

But this will bring some new light to the way organs are tested.

I remember hearing about no long time ago of a young girl that had multiple organs transplant that the organs were not tested for compatibility and she die from complications.

Sad.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Uterine cancer is very invasive and will spread to other organs in the body, but is suppose to be very painful, so I wonder how the women was able to go undiagnosed to the point that the cancer was already in her kidneys.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

That is a good question. Given that the donor was 50 years old, she probably was dealing with some menapause.

My Mom had unterine cancer, and did get it diagnosed very early. She was having some symptoms but no pain early on.

I looked up a link of what the symptoms are, for those who might find it interesting, so they can see how the donor might not have even known.

www.medicinenet.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Used parts lolol
Ok all i have a 1965 model Golbler granel gland . was In a love triangle.
needs a new coat of hemoglobin but still got a few pixil flexs left in it any offers?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Or we could look at it this way, he was given 7 months that he didn't have before.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes, but I bet he was in a lot of pain until his death.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I tell you, going on menopause is not fun, specially for those that are forced into early menopause due to losing their uterus and ovaries to surgery.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I get menopause like symptoms because of some medications I take. The hot flashes alone are annoying. We had a walk in freezer at my one job and my one coworker was always found standing in it. Now I know why.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There have been reports of organ recipients developing skills or personality traits they never previously possessed that were later found to have originated with the donor.

So, if a non corporeal quality can pass from donor to recipient, it makes sense that a corporeal one would.

My first response to the OP concerned the Homeopathic, water has a memory, hypothesis. As the human body is made up largely (cannot remember exact %) of water, then perhaps the water in the donated organ could carry a 'memory' of the cancer 'into' the recipient's body.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have early menopause due to surgery and I have to keep a bag of Ice in the refrigerator for when i get those hot flashes, then on top of that I have developed anxiety because of it.

Been working on it without the need of medical drugs, but is hard.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Interesting and yes our bodies have more water than anything else. Now I understand how a sick organ or contaminated organ can affect a host as the blood supplies feed the organ and carry the diseases into the blood.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

very few people are aware that cancer is contagious and caused by viruses and bacteria.

zero publicity.

1.8 million media hours of publicity about swine flu to line the pockets of vaccine manufacturers.

the guy who declared swine flu a pandemic got a payoff of 9 million euros from

from...yes you got it!

a vaccine maker!

[edit on 4-6-2010 by beckybecky]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Yes, I read about that yesterday, sadly we here in ATS try to warn people about the history of big pharma the 76 pandemic that never was, the results of vaccination without trials and the corruption behind it.

But many of us were told to be spreading fear mongering that could kill millions, I just ignore the "remarks" and just told the truth.

Is a shame what big corporation do to peoples minds in the name of profits, this happen before and will happen again.

The scary part is that we are expendable and the big fat rats will not have any trouble killing for profits

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have no idea why we keep on transplanting dead people organs in other people.

The technology to grow organs is actually at hand. If you were to clone an organ from your own cells, you wouldn't need to have your immune system shut down, and you wouldn't need all the medication in order to survive.

Oh.

I think I've answered myself. Surprising find, OP!

Here is a link about growing organs.

www.scientificamerican.com...

It needs to be approved before making it to the market. I predict it will take MUCH longer to happen than it does for cancer giving chemicals...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Yes you are right, my daughter did research on stem cells and how they mold to body parts and multiply.

But the technology is new, is still in testing and only those with big money outside the US can get the newest and best treatment.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Yes you are right, my daughter did research on stem cells and how they mold to body parts and multiply.

But the technology is new, is still in testing and only those with big money outside the US can get the newest and best treatment.

I agree. I read an article a few years back stating how many come to America for their studies, but the big research money is out of the Country.

This article is very sad, and yes I am sure they tested, but sadly it really does only take one rouge cell to cause horrific damage.

I need to go read the article, but must admit, being a kidney cancer survivor and now down to one kidney.. this type of thing scares the hell out of me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join