It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shamanic Journeying Questions...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Hello,

I am curious if anyone here does journeying?

What techniques do you use to induce your journey? How lucid of state are you in while on this journey? I have recently been on a journey with a few people and my experience wasn't what i expected, i think i may have misunderstood the experience. I just listened to the video post below and i focused only on the drum beat. Something i noticed was that while focusing on this drum beat my mind would bring me somewhere else.

Example:

One place i went was to this Indian store near our house, while i was there i was playing a drum similar to the drum used during the live journey. Now here is my issue...

Once i was there, i became aware of what was going on and that awareness drew me out of the journey. I didn't realize till right now what i have been doing my whole life, i have been putting myself into this state of trance my entire life without realizing what i was doing into tons of different situations. How do i become aware when i am in this "realm" without pulling myself out of this realm? Can anyone relate to this experience?

Thanks!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
edit: Next time you enter this journeying state of mind, start mentally repeating a phrase that will keep yourself aware that you are in control of this journey. I used to try quickly cycle the phrase "you are in a dream" overandoverandover because I have a tendency to manifest situations that trick me in to thinking I am experiencing waking life. The only way to combat that was to keep reminding myself what state of mind I was truly in.

I can absolutely relate to your experience. I used to induce a state of mind in which I would find myself in sleep paralysis, and eventually worked out the ability to "step out of my body".

The first time I successfully did it my heart started racing from the excitement of finally getting completely out and I was *ZAPPED* back to my body. I still found myself to be in sleep paralysis so I tried again. This time I was able to stand up - but the blanket came with me, so all I could see was the pattern on the blanket covering my face. I blindly made my way to my bedroom door and thought "Well, if i am truly out of body, I should be able to walk through solid objects. This is some sort of dream state afterall..." I pressed myself against the door only to find that it felt exactly as it would in waking life. This eventually tricked me in to thinking I actually had woke up and only thought I was still in my dream state. ZAP back to my sleep paralyzed body.

I went out of body again, sort of chuckling at having tricked myself in to thinking I was awake. I tried the window this time, pressing my forehead against it I felt the cool glass chill my skin, it felt incredibly real. I decided to try the door again, when I turned around I saw that it was ajar and my roommate was looking at me. "He must think I'm crazy! He just saw me trying to push myself through a window!" I thought. I tell him "Hey I just woke up, I think I was kind of sleep walking, weird right?" He laughed at me and said there was spaghetti in the kitchen if I was hungry. I walk out and start eating with him and some other friends who had come over. After a few minutes of socializing and eating spaghetti I realize something is wrong.. nobody is using a plate. We all have forks with a large ball of spaghetti wrapped around the end - we were eating it like a candy apple. ZAP back to my body.

I am just amazed at how good my brain is at tricking me out of knowing that I am in a lucid dream state. I got better with practice but have since been out of practice for several years.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by JohnnyTHSeed]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

How lucid of a state were you in during these experiences? If you were completely lucid, was this something you have worked on during your dreams in your sleep previously, or was it just natural? I find myself in between lucid, and dreaming, but i am not sure if that is because i am lucid after the fact and i am remembering it, or if i am actually lucid during the event?

Do i only realize i'm lucid after returning to my normal state of being? Or are you fully aware of what's happening while your there? This is interesting because if you are only aware of what is happening after the fact, then what are the implications of the actual experience? Is it something your mind builds upon your return to reflect the experience? Or is it an actual experience?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
train your mind to preform mundane tasks during everyday life ( like looking at your watch )

make it instinctive while waking so you do it while not, when the act is preformed do a reality check, it can help calm you down and make you more aware.

just try to relax and not get excited, takes some practice but not much.

good luck

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
My advice,
IF this has been going on sense childhood and you are just now realizing that you are having OBE's whatever the surrounding circimstances and they have been taking place without conscience effort...I would advise a seizure eval from a neurologist to rule out physical pathology. Once you are given a clean bill of health then I'ed explore the metaphysics side of it. If you are Native American you may have a natural metsphysical ability.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

So if it is my mind creating symbolism within the context of my dream to interpret the experience i am "truly" having, then what is really going on?

So if my brain is doing this for my dream/ journey, what is my brain doing for my real experience while i'm awake? Is this how my brain is interpreting what's happening in reality? This gives new meaning to the way people term this as an illusion for me if this is whats happening.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

I have to get a yearly MRI done for my career. Would this be something that comes up?

I have never really had a seizure before. I just tend to trance myself out while in the car driving with people listening to music, or things like that. Have just always done it.

Is this something that people cannot normally do? I have to rethink the experiences now. I thought that trancing out and going somewhere in my mind was normal...

I thought having an OBE would have a different feel to it. I mean, i have had things happen in meditation where i feel like my body isn't me, and my vision becomes circular and i kind of only become vision rather then body, and my body is just something i can feel if i want to.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

How lucid of a state were you in during these experiences?

I will try to define the different types of experiences I have had...

Becoming lucid mid-dream: I suddenly realize I am dreaming, and at that moment I usually laugh for not realizing it sooner. I usually only have a few seconds of lucid dreaming when this happens, if I don't simply wake up instantly.

Being aware I am dreaming, but not lucid: Sometimes I will know what I am experiencing is a dream, but have no control over it. Sometimes I even know what will happen next, and have no choice but to act it out. I do always have the ability to wake myself up within a few seconds, but even when I am having a "bad" dream I usually don't.

Being lucid from the start: These feel much different than the two other categories. These started happening after I randomly experienced sleep paralysis. I learned how to induce sleep paralysis by sleeping on my back, and waking up about 2 hours earlier than normal. When I first had these experiences they were incredibly frightening and I saw demonic mudmen and grotesque faces melting out of my walls. The ugly visions stopped when I no longer feared the experience. I eventually was able to enter this state without sleeping first but just through meditation. This method was the hardest but resulted in the most powerful of my experiences. I am leaving out a LOT of the experiences that lead up to me being able to control these experiences. I had many experiences over the course of several years.

If you were completely lucid, was this something you have worked on during your dreams in your sleep previously, or was it just natural?

As long as I can remember I have had both lucid and non-lucid dreams. I didn't know lucid dreaming was somewhat uncommon until I was a teenager. As a child I was very adept at dreaming, I would think of situations I wanted to dream about before sleeping and had decent luck at achieving them. One of my favorite things to do was to dream I was in my gym class, and use telekinesis to make all the basketballs, kickballs, tennis balls, etc... spin around me as fast as possible. It looked really cool, and initially I could only move clumsily move a few things with my mind. So it was interesting to see myself develop dream skills. As I got older I still had lucid dreams but not nearly as often.

I find myself in between lucid, and dreaming, but i am not sure if that is because i am lucid after the fact and i am remembering it, or if i am actually lucid during the event?

I have similar experiences. I even wonder sometimes if lucidity is an illusion? I think it is the same dilemma as tyring to prove free will.

Do i only realize i'm lucid after returning to my normal state of being?

Sometimes this happens to me. I will be lucid in a sense, because I will be consciously making decisions on what actions to take - but I do not realize I am dreaming and can therefore break the usual rules of reality.

Or are you fully aware of what's happening while your there? This is interesting because if you are only aware of what is happening after the fact, then what are the implications of the actual experience? Is it something your mind builds upon your return to reflect the experience? Or is it an actual experience?

The out of body experiences I have feel very different from the lucid dreams. Although, an out of body experience can turn in to a run of the mill dream if I lose focus. Currently I believe these experiences are a way for me to communicate with myself. I don't think I am actually interacting with outside forces when I go out of body. I don't pretend to actually know what is going on with these experiences though.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

My OBEs are very literal from my perspective. It starts with sleep paralysis. I will open my eyes (I'm unsure whether my actual, physical eyes are open during this...) and see my physical body. I move my hands, raise my arms and see them separate from my physical body. Often times they become somewhat transparent and pixellated, fading in and out of sight, but I still have feeling in them whether they are invisible or not. At this point I will sometimes still have feeling in my physical body, which can be confusing and cause me to move the wrong limb - instantly ending my sleep paralysis and OBE. Once I fully separate my dream body from my physical, I have sensations only in the dream body.

The first time this happened I put my dream hands up against my eyes to see if they would block my vision. I could feel my face in my hands, and feel the warmth of my hands on my face but my vision wasn't obstructed in any way! It was an incredibly bizarre sensation

[edit on 28-5-2010 by JohnnyTHSeed]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Combine the day and night into the same thing. Treat everything with respect because through the eyes of a shaman everything has the same potential its all matter that exists in this universe and will eventually make it up to the point where you are.

Meditate in the vipassana sense. Watch your breath and build your focus. Defeat yourself and rise above yourself. Become enlightened naturistically speaking. Trust the flow of the universe.

If you need help meditating on your own issues just thank yourself repeatedly for acting the way you do regardless of its negative or positive effects. Never take sides to your thoughts. Practice stillness and practice listening to the universe.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PositivelyDetermined

Oh an get all mercury removed from your body. this will hinder any meditation progress as well as sodiums and fluorides.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hmm, the posters seemed to have shifted more into OBE.

While shamanic journeying is somewhat a form of OBE, there are things you can do to make your journeys more sucessful and more focused on the shamanic aspect of them.

First off, I too use drum beat mp3s. so thats a good start.

What you should try and do, which has been very helpful for me, is to use the tunnel technique. Think of a real life location in which there is a hole that leads to the earth. This can be animal made, human made, or just a naturally occuring tunnel into the earth, such as a cave.

So, start listening to the drums, close your eyes, and imagine yourself flying to that real life tunnel, and begin your descent. If you are doing it right, you should begin to see twists and turns as you tunnel through the earth. Keep going until you pop out somewhere else on the planet. I prefer to keep my secret place a secret, so I will not be telling you where I go on my journeyes.

In this new area, realize it is your special place, and that you can come here at any time to relax, meditate, or find or reconnect with power animals and spirit guides. Hope this helps.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I like the idea of tunneling. What i was doing was just focusing on the beat and allowing my mind to take me where i am suppose to go.

Tonight i will try tunneling.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I know I am a few years late for this post bu I have been trying to journey and have had problems quieting my mind. I have a drumming cd but with all the thoughts going on in my head, its hard to focus on the beat and visualise the tunnelling. Any advice for my issue would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

top topics

join