It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Arizona law against illegals : no automatic citizenship for children born of illegals

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Not that the sentiment isn't popular or that it isn't understandable that people would want to pass this law, but if I remember my civics correctly, that particular loophole is protected by the US constitution.

Am I wrong?

The point I'm trying to make is it's all well and good that Arizona doesn't want all these illegals, but there's really only so much a state government can do about it.

Personally, I'm an advocate of states' rights, and I think state governments should hold a much more significant amount of power in regards to local laws and enforcement thereof. Now I'm not saying we should all disregard the federal penal code, but States' rights was one of the biggest deals back when there were only 13 states, and the importance of them hasn't diminished much in the meantime.

If you want to get technical, the only military body approved of by the founding fathers was state militias. The Continental Army was established as a means to fight the Revolutionary war, and nothing more.

Having said all this extra stuff, I don't know if Arizona is actually within it's rights to pass such a law. However, I believe they should be.

<< 8  9  10   >>

join