It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Arizona law against illegals : no automatic citizenship for children born of illegals

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sounds like a good time to introduce an amendment that closes the anchor baby loophole, and at the same time does something about unevenly enforced laws.

Entitlement programs have granted large numbers of people special privileges and this should not be allowed.

In this critical election cycle, I hope immigration becomes the central and pivotal issue. If there has ever been a time to write your congressional representative it is now.

Illegal immigration is bad for everyone.

Current levels of immigration legal as well as illegal are far too excessive, and the flow needs to be shut down to a trickle until things can stabilize again, and then permanent restrictions on immigration should be established.

While we are at it we need to do something about these politicians and other government officials who feel they can ignore the laws they choose not to enforce, like laws against illegal immigration.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
reply to post by Vitchilo

Amendments have to be ratified by 3 quarters of the states to pass.. the 14th amendment was ratified by the needed number, so it did indeed become an amendment for all of the states.

Wrong. Review here:

The 14th Amendment Was NOT Ratified

THE UNCONSTITUTIONALITY OF THE 14th AMENDMENT

THE 14TH AMENDMENT - EQUAL PROTECTION LAW OR TOOL OF USURPATION

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Arizona is proving to be the only state with a head on its shoulders.

Way to go Arizona!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Guys look, I support the revision to AZ 1070... wholeheartedly. Though IMO it's a baby step when they need to be running (they need to lay the hammer down on employers of illegal immigrants and better secure the border), I find it neither racist nor (with the revision) designed to engender racial profiling. This, however... Arizona doesn't have a leg to stand on here. It's unconstitutional because it directly violates the first section of the 14th amendment...

Should it? No, it shouldn't... but it does. It's nothing more than a glorified loophole used by foreign nationals to ride the curttails of those who were freed slaves at the close of the Civil War. I think it's disgusting how it's abused in such a manner... sadly, until SCOTUS decides to re-interpret its meaning or the language is changed to better reflect current times, it is what it is...

I think though that a lot of people who decided to enact this were well aware of these facts... and they also know that it will ultimately be struck down. In so doing however, I believe their goal of having national attention paid to what's going on in the border states will be realized... and then perhaps a legitimate discussion of how to deal with the problem of illegal immigration can begin... perhaps it might even involve changing the wording in amendments to close loopholes that some illegal immigrants grossly abuse to their own end.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Not sure how I feel about this one.

I'm a strong supporter of immigration AND immigration reform. I think the original legislation was based on the assumption that most persons born in the United States would have parents that were legal citizens. However, we know that's quickly becoming the exception rather than the rule with immigration near the Southwestern border.

I guess it makes sense in regards to illegal immigrants, but I can't see the point if this legislation applies to those immigrants that reside in the United States legally.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

sounds great! i agree with most of what you said, most importantly if illegal immigration was handled properly and the border was secure, we wouldnt have an "anchor baby" "problem".

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles

reply to post by piddles

Seriously? You are going to call him racist because of the "foreign Hoarde" remark? Look at the country, that is exactly what it is. They have overwhelmed our local governments. They have run our neighborhoods down. And taken the jobs that LEGAL citizens should have. A hoarde is exactly what they are. They have destroyed us.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Mr. Toodles]

I am apart this "hoarde" and maybe I don't like hearing people, friends, family, being implied as monsters. Maybe i'm tired of white people being afraid of not being the majority, who knows.

glad to know I've "run your neighborhoods down". what else have I done because I'm mexican and the son of an illegal?

tell me, whose fault is it that illegals take american jobs, the employee or the employer?

White people are DEEPLY afraid of anyone who doesn't speak english. "This is AMURRRIKKAAAA!!! SPEAK ENGLISHSHSHHS!"

The mentality of the bigots who support the Arizona is not surprising....but disturbing. I also love the the crime card they pull. "They're killing us white people!!!11!! Grrrr AMURIKAAA!"

But they fail to realize crime has been the lowest since the 70s in Arizona. Legal citizens cause more crime than illegal ones.

It's also very amusing that many paranoid right wingers believe the Mexican immigrants who cross the border to enter this country want to "take over." Yes, this is actually the belief of quite a few righties. Sad, isn't it?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The US should immediately reform its citizenship laws and do away with birthright citizenship as it stands today. Today if an Illegal immigrant crosses the border and gives birth to a child in an US hospital that child is automatically a natural born US citizen, while to the converse A US military family who have a child in a foriegn nation while serving to protect this country has to go through a naturalization process and is not considered natural born, this needs to change immediately. The US needs to also do away with Dual Citizenship pick one or the other and those Who choose to remain citizens of other countries should become ineligable for any government job elected or non elected.

Arizona as a state trying to do this will be struck down by the courts...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This law will get NOWHERE. And it shouldn't. AZ is showing its ass. Someone else said these laws are being made to show the voters that the politicians support their racism and bigotry. I must agree. The people's bigotry is being used for their votes. And unfortunately, as illustrated in this thread, many people are falling for the trick. :shk:

Let's say I come into your house illegally, but before you can kick me out (or shoot me) I manage to leave my newborn in your bedroom. Now, by law, you have to share your house with the baby ...

Would you really want to support that?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Just a politician playing the game of "I am more bigoted than my rivals" to keep his base support.

14th Amendment, Section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Of course this came after the Civil War in an attempt to protect former slaves and their children. Mexicans are, in essence, our slaves of the modern era.

how are they slaves? we are not keeping them here...heck...WE WANT THEM GONE!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
In their fervor [desperation?] they are going past the bounds.

past the bounds???
I'd say there are about 12 Million
reasons why desperate measures
are called for.

I'd say desperation is an understatement

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

People should be aware of criminals!

Sir, it has nothing to do with the color of our skin. If you come here illegally you broke the law and should be deported immediately. End of discussion. If you argue against my point you are de facto aiding & abating a criminal. Sad ...

Source: Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Seeing how citizenship is applied and given by the federal gov't this is nothing more than grand-standing. I agree with the bill, but they must really think anger and desperation will override common sense.

Silly!
Anger and desperation turned this land into a nation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

People should be aware of criminals!

Sir, it has nothing to do with the color of our skin. If you come here illegally you broke the law and should be deported immediately. End of discussion. If you argue against my point you are de facto aiding & abating a criminal. Sad ...

Source: Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code

Actually title 8 says you are able to ask for a hearing to have a judge evaluate your case and decide if you are eligable for a waiver so that you may remain in the US.

So they may not be deported immediately. They may even be able to be released on a bond. The judge decides when the end of the discussion is arrived.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Anyone who has read my post knows that I am 100% against illegal immigration.

I would LOVE to see the US Constitution amended to prevent citizenship being given to 'anchor babies.'

However, as I read it, Arizona cannot make such a law, as it is out of their 'jurisdiction.' Citizenship is a national issue and cannot be regulated by the states.

I am glad to see Arizona at least trying to fight the problem from multiple angles. They should have their senators and representatives in congress press an amendment. In a previous thread I posted a suggested amendment on this issue to define a citizen and citizenship, which I will post again now with a slight correction.

persons born to two US citizens regardless of location, born to and claimed by one US citizen regardless of location, someone naturalized through the immigration process. A US citizen can not hold dual citizenship with any other nation. Citizenship cannot be gained or surrendered more than once. Citizenship of a natural born citizen cannot be removed. Citizenship of a naturalized citizen can only be removed by an act of Congress, on an individual basis and on conviction of treason, sedition or insurrection.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thank God! err i mean Arizona!

This should have been done a lonngggggg time ago.

This is the oldest, most used loophole in the Illegal Immigrants handbook.

It costs money (a lot) to have a kid. This loophole has bankrupted countless hospitals and affects everyone.

Please California do this NOW!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know it's already been mentioned, but...

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

14th Amendment (Emphasis mine.)

As someone else said, the only way Arizona can legally enact such a law would be for them to secede from the union. It makes me incredibly sad that this legislation is even being considered.

I respect the views of those who disagree, as always.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Arizona cannot unilaterally abrogate portions of the US Constitution (you know - the document that people say they want followed strictly, until it requires them to do some they don't want to do, then it's just a piece of paper, well vellum actually) that it disagrees with. It is not up to an individual state to determine the requirements for US citizenship.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
As someone else said, the only way Arizona can legally enact such a law would be for them to secede from the union. It makes me incredibly sad that this legislation is even being considered.

I respect the views of those who disagree, as always.

It isn't the only way they could propose a bill to have the constitution amended that passes both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states and if 3/4 of the states to agree it's law.

This would create less conflict but would not get as many votes.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Right. What I meant was, it's the only way they can unilaterally enact such a law. If 2/3 of congress can be swayed to vote to amend the 14th amendment or introduce a new amendment, then it would at least be legal. (I'd still disagree with it personally, but I would abide by it and it wouldn't be unconstitutional then at least.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join