It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Thank you for posting this. My husband has smoked for years and this is a point of contention for us both, even more so now that I am going to have our first child. I've tried to no avail to tell him it cuts time off his run, that it smells terrible and it's just a generally disgusting habit. Perhaps I will make him read this.

I am glad to hear you were not seriously injured by your ordeal. Please take care of yourself Doc, get better.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Its all about mental attitude - I know it sounds a bit deep but it really works.
The only thing I can compare it to is the 'head above the clouds' feeling I felt when I stopped allowing myself to eat everything the mainstream media was shoveling me...the same moment of revelation....

Don't put it off - what the worst that can happen? You can do it.

Smokers aren't idiots they are addicts....

We are all in this place because we are strong, independently minded people........we are not slaves....

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Stroke....bad.
Recovery.....good.

I'm so glad you are okay. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

I've known three people who had stokes.

A. Woke up in the morning and couldn't move. Could think, just couldn't move. Had to wait until someone came along and called 911.

B. Same as A.

C. Woke up, got up, and was laughing because she kept bumping into walls when walking. Thought she was still asleep. By the time she got in the shower, one of her legs wouldn't work, and she was slurring her words. Her sister called from another state and heard her slurring her words. She called 911.

All three now fine, one with a slight limp. Brains all fine.

But thanks Doc, you tell a moving story, and I am so happy you have made a full recovery. Congrats on the quitting smoking! Well done.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I don't know you but I'm very glad you are now ok. Cigarette companies are only legalized drug dealers responsible for the deaths of so many. Then we have the unhealthy foods that we buy because they're cheaper. It's sad really. I want to eat healthy but then you have this garbage thrown in your face. Maybe you could be part of or help to form an awareness group.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hi Doc,

I am so glad that everything worked out well for you, things like this that I read about are what constantly remind me how precious life is and how it could be taken away in an instant.

My best to you

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
That must have been terrifying.

really glad you are ok.

Good time to give up smoking, but I have never heard of cigarettes being a number one factor in causing strokes. We have warning labels on ours and i dont think i have seen that..

Still 32 years of smoking, wow. did he check your lungs doc?
you migh be coughing up some horrible goo, while giving up but thats normal

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Doc, I had a feeling you were Brett Michaels, turns out I'm a genius! Can you autograph some stuff for my wife? I could send it with a SASE, of course!

Seriously though, glad you are alright!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I read this thread and thought about it for an hour or so, and I want to discuss your quick assumption that this all boils down to smoking.

Maybe, maybe not.

What if it is not smoking? What if it is something else?

And lets think about this logically.

You said yourself, your getting old. Well our bodies fall apart pretty fast anyways.

So since you are this close to your deathbed, why would you quit smoking now? Wouldn't this be the funnest part of smoking cigs you ever had in your life?

Me? I am worried about accidentally burning the house down. Or my kids burning the house down.

You ever considered that your diet could be the cause of this?

Maybe you are eating something regularly that led to this?

It really could be anything.

Nice to see you are alive though.

I really think we should consider alternative explanations though, as the "it's cuz of smoking" explanation has become the "God did it" excuse IMO these days....

You said the doc mentioned artery congestion, doesn't that typically come from hamburgers etc?

I wonder when I will die and how, Hmmm? I won't stop smoking over fears of death though. Otherwise I would have to stop doing everything else I do too lol. Even driving the car can lead to serious painful and sometimes fatal consequences.

Compare a car wreck victim to a smoker. Which looks worse?

Who is going to swear off cars?

I mean you can actually live without a car. People have done it for thousands of years.

There were an estimated 6,289,000 car accidents in the US in 1999. There were about 3.4 million injuries and 41,611 people killed in auto accidents in 1999. The total number of people killed in highway crashes in 2001 was 42,116, compared to 41,945 in 2000.

www.unitedjustice.com...

And in car wrecks, you have instant decapitations, leg and arm cut offs. Cuts gashes and every other type of physical injury you can think of. Shattered bones crushed etc etc.

Car wrecks are gross. Grosser than smokers lungs. I can stomach looking at black lungs, but chopped up bodies? Thats too much.

Point is blaming smoking without hard evidence is rash imo.

What if you have bad drywalling from China? IDK I am just saying these days there are countless sources for toxic contamination from every possible angle.

What caused this could literally be from anywhere.

You started smoking in 1978. My wife's dad started smoking around 1958.

He has 20 years over you. No strokes, no lung problems, nothing. He seems totally fine actually for an old guy that smoked his whole life.

Since you are alive, what you do you think this?

Was there any tests/evidence that proved smoking caused this? Or was it simple assumption based on circumstance?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Wow that is pretty deep. My aunt's surrogate mother (she was adopted) actually just had a stroke last week. Good to know in depth how having a stroke feels like even though I never touched a cigarette in my life (of course you can still get strokes).

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Doc Velocity - what an excellently written account, you should have this printed up as a warning leaflet and pass them to your local hospital to make them available to your community, I felt like I was going through the experience with you as I read - very powerful.

I'm really glad that you survived in tact and wish you all the very best with your continued recovery and kicking the ciggies.

Take care

bb

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am truly inspired by your story.

So glad to hear a happy ending too.

What's with these cigarettes? They are worse than drugs and do more damage.

Why is it SO hard to quit? I am a smoker, and quitting has been the most difficult obstacle in my entire life! Words can't even describe how physically hard it is to stop.

I will be going to my physician after the holiday and asking her to prescribe me the quit smoking pills.

Thanks for sharing your experience. =)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Smoking does shorten you're life FACT...I hope your post was sarcastic...

If it wasn't I'm really shocked - perhaps you're being antagonistic for the sake of it?

The amount of sh1t I coughed up when I quit after only 10 years was enough to confirm the damage it was doing...
The old stories you hear of uncles eetc living till they were 100 smoking 60 a day are one in a million the other 999,999 went to an early grave.

I can even tell who smokes and who doesn't just by looking...(above the age of 25 is when it reallt noticable )...

I'd like to guess that you smoke...and I'm not demonising smokes per sa..I just want people to know all the fact and rid themselves of any delusions so they can make an informed choice.

If smoking doesn;t shorten your life/cause illness - then why are smokers insurance and health care premiums so much higher than non-smokers?..Answer me that if you will.

P.S

I'd like to refer any would be non-smokers to 'Allen Carrs Easyway to stop smoking'......very useful.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by OptimusPrimate]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Hey buddy, glad you're still kicking!
missed ya!
JW

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Glad to see you well doc. Your lucky to have a wife as you do!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Had a minor event myself not long ago. Symptoms vary. The oxygen starvation is always a big concern. Several things have helped me including the water cure, potassium and magnesium (electrolytes), stroke herbs, an acupuncturist, MMS2, food grade hydrogen peroxide and the "Quack" violet ray. The violet ray or an acupuncture pen or acupuncture on the general area of the crown of the skull is very helpful in stroke rehabilitation. There are also stroke prevention points like the fleshy area on the back of the hand between the thumb and index finger.

What I've discovered that has been a progressive problem leading towards the stroke is the pinched nerves in the spine. This effects the health in total. Yeah, the big problem of tobacco is that it facilitates oxygen starvation unless your very healthy. Oxygen starvation leads to all kinds of issues including cancer. But the biggest problem leading to the event for me was not drinking enough water and not flushing toxins adequately. Currently going to a chiropractor for the spine, flushing cholesterol, etc..

I have also had a lot of success by drinking "Raw (Unpasteurized) Milk". One the long list of food conspiracies is Pasteurized Milk. When raw milk ages it becomes buttermilk when pasteurized milk ages it becomes rancid. Big different. Raw milk is an ancient medicine and contains a lot of benefits destroyed by the heating. Being vegetarian, the raw milk provides the oil need by the brain. There is some evidence that the epidemic of heart/cholesterol problems came into existence after milk became pasteurized.

www.raw-milk-facts.com...
www.realmilk.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Glad you're OK and still here to share the experience with all of us. Good writing & details of your horrific experience as well, it really makes me want to grab all my family & friends that smoke and smack them upside the head.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
glad to see you are ok doc. Thanks for the first hand account. It will better prepare us all for an incident that any of us could have.

That sounds as if it came from a medical tv show haha. But I know it didnt.

Im glad that the ER team responded so swiftly and efficiently. Kudos to them. Oh, and your wife for being so fast acting.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Also good to avoid are the excitotoxin foods like MSG, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, TVP, etc...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thank you for the very vivid description of the event Doc and I am glad that you came through it!

I have a friend who is trying to quit right now and I will send him the link to this thread, I hope it keeps him motivated!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hey Doc, I have been on these forums lurking for about four years and forgot my old account info since I rarely used it, but I wanted to say welcome back, and that your story was excellently written.

I'm glad you're ok and I hope you continue to feel better and better. I quit smoking about 6 years ago and it was very hard at first, but I wen't cold turkey and just kicked it. Your account should definitely help others take a hint and give up the cancer sticks.

Thank you for sharing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join