Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I am glad to hear you are OK you will be in my thoughts and I hope you have a full recovery.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

My best wishes to you, Doc! You can give up habits, even the evil tobacco habit.

Just quit. It really is easy. Just say no more.

Maybe this won't compute. I don't know.

But I adore deep fried french fries. And I find them hard to resist.

But the pottasium in the taters is really, deadly to me.

So I just don't eat them. Oh, yeah, I see them and my left hand reaches out for them, my mouth waters for them, I can taste them in my mind.

But I don't partake.

Yeah, when I got my kidney transplant, I was a smoker. The docs said, well, you need to stop smoking after the transplant. And I did.

For about 3 days I had the urge. After that is was easy.

No matter how much you smoke, three days. That's all it takes to rid your body of the need to smoke.

After that, it's just habit, reaching for a smoke, or wishing for a smoke with a cup of coffee or whatever.

Buy the phyisical need is gone sfter three days.

Psycholoical need? Well, that is on your mind, not your body.

Meanwhile, change your routine, so you don't get back into the same "smoking" pattern,

Good luck to you, You CAN do whatever you want to do.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Glad you made it out of that situation with no severe difficulties. I had an aunt who dropped dead of a massive stroke at age 50, and my ex's mother ended up in a wheel chair, unable to speak or walk, as a result of a stroke. She was very young.

Count yourself lucky, and your advice about the smoking is duly noted.

Take care, you were given a second chance many never get to enjoy

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Wow glad to hear your Ok and quitting smoking. Here's to many more posts from you!

And thanks for the reminder to watch what we take in to our bodies!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Glad to hear everything's A-ok doc! Sometimes these events are blessings and in this case, I hope you are going to have a much better quality of life without cigarettes.

Take it easy mate, and I'm sincerely happy that your still here, even though we disagree on the occasional thing. The board wouldn't be the same without you!

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nick112
A few details from your account of experiencing a stroke--particularly the rapid mood swings, incoherence, mild hallucinations, and loss of time perception--had me wondering if some of the effects of a stroke are similar to those brought on by psychedelic drugs.

One thing that was especially freaky was the way my mind came unravelled. I'm well aware that the brain is not ONE UNIT, but is a many millions of complex circuits, each one with its own identity, so to speak. We are many personalities that mesh together and cooperate as one.

However... When the stroke event occurred, it broke the connection between all the myriad neural routines, I guess you could say. I was suddenly aware of all these separate circuits with their own personalities, and they were all in ALARM mode, like having a roomful of people in my head all screaming There's something terribly wrong here! System failure imminent!!

It was chaos, like a psychotic break, I imagine.

And, perhaps scariest of all, there were some circuits that were telling me, very calmly, I don't care. Which is why I was having Death thoughts, I suppose. Parts of my brain were about to give up and die.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/28/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Glad to see you are here to share this experience and warn others. I wish my mom had listened to her dr as well. She nearly died a year ago. It is good to get a second chance. Bless you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Good account of what happened. Best of luck on your recovery.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Good luck with recovering and fighting your addiction!
I'm glad you have the resolve to try and stop, and that patches may work for you.

Some sort of patch gave my mother a nearly fatal reaction once, and she is heavily addicted to smoking and that is terrible considering her multiple and severe health issues.

This has reminded me to call her and talk to her about it again.

I am guilty of sometimes forgetting that people cannot just stop smoking or drinking cold turkey. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for the reminder and take care, Doc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Doc, thanks for relating this story, i think it really brings home how scary a stroke can be. I hope you don't suffer any long term damage, that you don't have another one and that you can give up smoking.

You can quit and stay off them, good luck man.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hey OP, may I ask your approx. age? Reason I ask is I have been a smoker for about as long as yourself, and quite a heavy smoker (pack a day).

I've only recently given up (6 months now).

It was the hardest thing I have ever done, considering I've been a smoker since a very young age, since in the 70's, pretty much everyone smoked.

Hope you get better and can kick the habit. It's very hard to do, but I think you will make it, since you have this now as a good reason to give it up for good.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Oh my gosh, what an amazing post. My thoughts are with you and it is without a doubt you have just made a significant impact on many of our lives. I do not smoke, but have been overweight most of my life. Strokes run in my family and I finaly made the decision to get the weight off. Almost a hundred pounds now. You have made me more determined than ever to keep it off!
Thank you so much for your post!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about what happened - but I must admit you tell a good story.

When I'm in the hospital or about to have surgery or something I don't realize I'm getting antsy and anxious until I start laughing uncontrollably (not at anything in particular, sometimes it's out of context too which makes me laugh even more).

Anyway, reading your story made me feel that anxious feeling all through out and I couldn't help but to 'laugh' my antsy-ness away.

Thank you for sharing. I hope to quit smoking as well, I just got one of the electronic cigarettes but haven't been using it as much as I'd hoped I'd be using it - but heart attacks run in my family (basically every male seems to die of them or have them) so I really do need to cut back and quit and focus on my eating as well (although my diet isn't too horrible).

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
how ironic, our job just went over the detection and response to stroke victims. I am glad that you are still with us, god has a plan for you and you are here to continue to help with the coming times. Thanks for spreading the good words and teachings through experience. Sending you good healing energy!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Thank you for turning what must have been a harrowing experience into an informative account for the rest of us. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you never have to experience anything like that again.

Good health man!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I’m really glad you are going to be OK Doc that must have been quite a scare and nothing beats opening your eyes and think – I’m going to be fine. I bet air smells fresh and bird song has a new beauty.

As a non-smoker I can tell you that quitting is easy and there is no need for gum or patches or lozenges just get stubborn and the game is yours. It is odd also you mention the smell of chemical and diarrhoea as my wife used to suffer terrible regular debilitating migraines right up to the moment I advised she give up the nicotine lozenges – no more migraines (at all).

During these migraines a similar smell would come out of her pores as you described in your OP (wow) that was so strong I thought it was death and would get no sleep as I was worried she was going to leave me in the night. I realise that the smell you described was related to your brain trauma but the smell you describe is very odd in that I can place it in detail enough that reading your words made my blood run cold.

Anyway, take care Doc and best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Hey Doc,

Glad to see you posting again and that your OK.

I'm just letting you know about some common things people don't know about quiting smoking.

One puff takes 72 hours of detox, so don't take not a single puff.

Now i'm going to give you some literature so you can quite smoking for good.

Lobelia is an extract from Indian tobacco, it's molecule are almost identical to nicotine, the only difference is Lobelia is not addictive.

So by taking Lobelia you trick your brain into thinking it's getting nicotine when it craves it but it's not nicotine is a different molecule.

After about 90 days you will be nicotine free and will no longer get nicotine cravings.

Lobelia

A couple drops of this in orange juice will kill any cigarette cravings and will not add to the nicotine addiction which will lead to complete detox. It's going cold turkey by tricking the receptors in your brain into thinking they are getting nicotine.

Sold Here.

Edit to add: Oops almost forgot to tell ya NOT TO TAKE TO MUCH of this stuff, Indians used to use lobelia on their arrowheads as poison to kill stuff lol.

It is toxic but so is nicotine. Use with responsibly.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Izarith]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Doc Velocity

My very sincere apologies to you for your illness! It must be truly terrible to lose control of your body like that and the thought of permanent disability is truly horrifying.

However, I must take issue with your statement that smoking CAUSED your stroke. What evidence do you have that this is true? You only know 2 facts. One - that you are a smoker and two - that you had a stroke. That is an association but it is not a cause.

Here is a link to information on strokes by the Centre for Disease Control;

www.cdc.gov...

Note these paragraphs:

Stroke is among the five leading causes of death for people of all races and ethnicities. But the risk of having a stroke varies. Compared to whites, African Americans are at nearly twice the risk of having a first stroke. Hispanic Americans' risk falls between the two. Moreover, African Americans and Hispanics are more likely to die following a stroke than are whites.2

Stroke Risk Varies by Age

Although stroke risk increases with age, strokes can—and do—occur at any age. Nearly one quarter of strokes occur in people under the age of 65.

Deaths Vary by Geography

The country's highest death rates due to stroke are in the southeastern United States.1

Instead of saying you are a smoker AND you have a stroke, therefore smoking CAUSED your stroke: you could have just as easily said that you are black and had a stroke, therefore being black CAUSED your stroke. Or you live in southeastern United States and you had a stroke; therefore living in southeastern United States CAUSED your stroke. Or since you are aging and you had a stroke; aging CAUSED your stroke.

The fact is that strokes are the result of either a hemorrhage or a blockage in the blood vessels of your brain. That is the CAUSE of the stroke.

If smoking was the CAUSE of strokes then only smokers would get strokes, however non-smokers suffer from strokes as well.

Further this information:

Every year, about 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke.

If 795,000 people out of 300 million people get strokes, then the risk of having a stroke is 0.265 % per year. Over the course of a 70 year life span, the risk of having a stroke is 18.55 % (with the risk increasing with age).

From the same web site - if you a smoker you have an increased risk of 20 %.

So a non-smoker has a risk of 18.55 % of having a risk. A smoker has a 22.26 % chance of having a stroke. Said another way - there is an 80 % chance that smoking had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH YOUR STROKE,

Your doctor told you that smoking was the greatest risk factor but please examine the table of modifiable risk factors: you will see that obesity, inactivity and high blood pressure all have nearly twice the risk of being a smoker!

An active smoker of average wieght with normal blood pressure is far less likely to have a stroke than a obese non-smoker who is inactive and has high blood pressure.

And all of this means absolutely NOTHING because all of this discussion is based on epidimiology. Epidimiology is a branch of science that used observation to find associations. And ASSOCIATION IS NOT CAUSATION!

For decades, EPIDIMIOLOGISTS declared that smoking CAUSED cervical cancer. Smokers who got cervical cancer blamed their behavior for their disease and considered themselves foolish and guilty.

We now know that the HPV virus is the CAUSE of cervical cancer and that the association between smoking and cervical cancer is a meaningless association only.

Why do you let your doctor or anyone else assign guilt to you for suffering a condition mostly related to aging? What hard evidence has anyone offered to you that you would NOT have suffered a stroke?

When did the medical community take to blaming the sick in general?

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I don't post at all, but am glad to hear you are ok Doc.

We've all got to quit smoking, or risk very bad health consequences.

I quit 217 days ago (I have a ticker to keep track) using the e-cigarette and won't ever look back.

I still get my nicotine, but not the four thousand other chemicals that real cigarettes have.

I don't think it matters what method you use to quit, it's just important that you quit.

Hugs and good luck to you, and anyone else who's quitting.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

I had a stroke that nearly killed me when I was 40 years old,I didn't smoke,excersised almost every day vigorously training for off-road bicycle races.....ate a healthy diet.

I was washing dishes,reaching up to place the detergent onto the window sill above the sink.I got a strange sensation as I reached up,it felt as if someone had placed a rubber band around my right forearm,then I suddenly did not feel like doing dishes,like it was the last thing in the world I wanted to do.

I wandered around the house for a bit,so confused that I had no idea I was confused,a jumble in my mind,I decided to walk my dogs because they were watching me very intently,almost acting kinda panicky.
I saw their anxiety as needing to go outside,but I think they knew something was up,I hooked them up and wandered outside with them.

It was january in wisconsin,cold and snowy,but I didn't feel it,and I was in jeans and a t-shirt because I forgot to put on my jacket.
I lived in a small town,and it being mid-week in the winter,there was not much activity,the town was in hibernation as I went further from my house in the cold,wandering around with my dogs on a leash.

I noticed my dogs were a ways in front of me,I had dropped the leash because my right arm had stopped working,they stopped and waited for me when they would normally have been headed for the hills,they were just standing there looking at me.I walked toward them and noticed I was dragging my right leg,and thought to myself,gosh,I must be really tired,caught up to them,took the leash,immediately dropped it again,and thought again how tired I felt.

The dogs led me back home,I just followed them,I felt like I was drunk,I wasn't cold,wasn't scared,I was just kind of stupidly,unthinkingly oblivious to everything.....
I got into the house,fumbled around for awhile,and had to urinate,so I went to the bathroom where my wife was getting ready to go to her 3rd shift job at the hospital as an RN.

I was fumbling around trying to unzip my pants with my non-functional right hand and arm,and my wife asked me what was wrong.It was then that she saw that I couldn't even talk,and immediately knew there was a problem.

I was in the hospital for several weeks,but recovered and returned to work two months later.

Things have never been the same since then,it is the most un-nerving sensation to no longer trust your body after taking it for granted for one's entire life,like most do.

There is no complete recovery from such an event,even though the experts say I recovered completely I can still feel the effects from it 10 years later.
My dogs were the ones who saved me,and I have since buried them.

I would have sat down and frozen to death if they had not led me home to my wife,who knew the signs and symptoms of the event I was experiencing.
I can relate to your experience,good luck,and good health to you in the future.

My stroke was a reaction to an injection of radio-opaque dye,it was used to visualize a suspected ACL tear in my right knee the afternoon before the event occurred.
The doctors told me that there was absolutely no way it was what caused the reaction.
A combination of mis-place/lost records,and stalling,and my still being stupid from the event allowed the statutes of limitation to run out.

Ain't that Quaint?.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by chiponbothshoulders]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join