It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for sharing your story Doc. Amazing to be able to read the symptoms as they played out and your thought process. I recently gave up smoking last month after 11 years, me and my GF are expecting our first child any day and I just didn't want to smoke around her when she came. That added to the normal health risks and the fact that my grandmother died of a stroke after years and years of smoking should have made it any easy decision. I did 3 weeks with using the patch and am going strong now still almost 2 months in!!!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Lurker here, never really bother posting. Very nice thread. Lady Nicotine has her claws deep in me. This really gave me something to think about, though. For the last few years I've maintained openly that I would quite smoking if I make it passed 2012. Somewhat in jest, obviously, but still. This really made me consider a FEW different lifestyle changes. I don't know that they'll happen, but as many of you have come to learn - just beginning to think about something from a different angle can really open up the flood gates. Good luck and speedy recovery!

-kg

[edit on 30-5-2010 by thektotheg]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by thektotheg]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
S&F for this thread. So glad you are here to tell the story. Your wife Mary deserves an awesome pat on the back for knowing what to do and keeping a level head! You are truly blessed to have someone who paid attention, didn't let it slide thinking you were just tired and really kicked it into high gear as needed.

I had to do same a few years ago when my other half passed out and fell down a flight of concrete stairs, not breathing upon reaching the bottom. Went into autopilot mode. Panic and hysteria are closer when it's a loved one.

Most amazing and spectacular thing is, other half had not even a scratch or bruise on/in entire body after the fact. A crazy boggling miracle

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
hey doc, glad ta hear your ok

im 45, and have smoked for many years, started when i was 15

well, 4 weeks ago i got a sudden case of pnemonia, night before i felt like i was getting a cold, next morning WHAM!! woke the next morning and cant breath,lots of chest pains and very weak, went to emergency and an xray later and some blood work and i was told i had pnemonia, they gave me a perscription for antibiotics and pain meds and sent me home

IT SCARED THE CRAP OUTA ME!!! and im still not back to normal, i get winded easy now and have to take my time doing things

well, for the first 2 weeks, i didnt feel like smokeing, had something to do with the fact i found it hard to breath!!LOL so i took my cue and quit, cold turkey!!!!, been 4 weeks now, i feel better, i get craveings still but they last for about 15 to 30 seconds and i go on

and something wonderfull happened, i seem to have more money in my pocket now!!

2 packs a day, let say 5 bucks a pack......thats 70 bucks a week, 300 bucks a month and...................$3640 A YEAR!!!

GUESS WHAT, IM DONE!! I QUIT!!!!

wish you lived down the block from me, we could walk everyday and quit together

good luck my friend and stick to it,

viperdave

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
i have been watchin this site for years
thank you doc
btw post ever

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well, hate to say it, but a good kick in the pants is sometimes what we need.

I had my turn in intensive care more than 20 years ago now, with the doctor standing over me stating emphatically that smoking aggravated my condition (internal bleeding).

From that point on I just lost any desire for a cigarette. I didn't claim to be quitting, I just didn't smoke anymore. I had no withdrawals, no anxiousness, no desires. I just did not smoke again from that point on -- didn't even need a patch.

Like I said, its been over 20 years -- went from 2 large packs a day to 0 in an instant.

Trust me, its a good thing. It is going to be great. Everything you do will be better because the air going into you is clear.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by wayno]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing your story! I have been a long time smoker myself, and since reading your experience a few days ago, I have stopped myself. It really makes no sense to continue! Thank you very much for the inspiration.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Did you use Cocaine in your past? Are you African American? Do you have high blood pressure? Are you overweight or obese? Do you eat a poor diet? It's not just smoking...don't dupe yourself, like you did for so many years thinking smoking was no big deal, into thinking simply stopping smoking will be a cure all. There are many, many things to improve upon in order to avoid a stroke.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's a wake up call for me, you, and all of us. You are a brave man and we are happy that you are here to tell your story. I thought your posts were good before...but wow, this one is amazing in many ways.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by LooseLipsSinkShips]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing your story Doc and hope you're on course to a speedy recovery. S&F

I quit smoking 8 weeks ago and the thought of stroke terrifies me, massive kudos to your lovely wife for getting you the help you needed so promptly.

The following is a very helpful way to recognise signs of stroke:

F - Face, if you notice a sudden droop or change in your face
A - Arms, if you notice sudden loss of sensation in arms or legs
S - Speech, if you notice slurring of your words, difficulty speaking
T - Time, get help as fast as you can.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

lol! Nice ending. Glad your back on board!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread Doc.

I quit last night.

This time it's for good.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Now that you have given up smoking, the next step is to find out how
healthy you can make your body. I have been at this for 10 years and
am learning new things regularly. Among these are spray vitamins,
mind control (I will my body to repair itself, as much as possible) and
healthy foods. This is a mini-career as we age. I hope to hear of more
progress and more of your writing in the future.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Haven't seen anything in a few days, how are you doing there Doc? Hope all is going good for you and the wife.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hey Doc, I dont know you (I'm new here) but I smoked for 15 years. I quit relatively easily after at least a pack a day with an audiobook. I dont know if anyone recommended Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit, but it helped me out big time. I recommend it to anyone I know that is looking to quit.

Glad to hear you are okay though, and wanted to thank you for sharing that experience.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I had a heart attack due to smoking and my cholesterol wasn't super high which at first baffled doc. I was 30 years old when the heart attack hit. Had to have 2 stints put in my chest and now taking 6 pills a day rest my life.

The doc came in and showed me a video and discussed with me how it was smoking that triggered the heart attack. He explained to me that talking does nothing really and that showing exactly what happened is the only way to get the message across.

So in the video they had a pig vein in this medical lab type setting. They then using a dropper put a little drop of nicotine onto the vein and what creeped me the hell out was it tightened up and almost looked to coil up as if it were a snake.

The doc explained nicotine is a vascular constrictor. When you smoke your veins, arteries, capillaries, etc will constrict and tighten. Then even someone with any cholestrol from mid-low to high when the vein/artery constricts and tightens just a little bit of cholesterol can cause the walls of the vein/artery to stick and not reopen when it relaxes. And there is your heart attack.

I was lucky they got to me in time and were able to put the 2 stints in me. Now thanks to smoking at 30 and the damage done by the heart attack I have diastolic dysfunction in my left ventricle due to scar tissue hardening.

So I tend to laugh then explain to people when I see them say oh I now use electronic cigarettes they are much better for you. (uhm no you're ignorant) nicotine as a vascular constrictor will still kill you and if the artery/vein's do not relax and stay stuck then there you go instant heart attack/stroke from your "safer cigarette". Lot of people think oh I'll roll my own no additives then. It's not the additives. Those are dangerous for lungs, but any type, form, amount of nicotine is a vascular constrictor and it can kill you at any time or age. If you are not careful.

and I was 30 and thought I was in decent shape.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Something else that may be of use. The over the door cervical traction kits. Constriction even at the 1st vertebrae (C1) effects blood flow to the brain. These devices have the benefits of an "Alpha Biotic" adjustment, an old Palmer Chiropractic technique that is excellent for balancing energy flow between the two sides of the body. Something to consider.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Try hypnosis if you want to quit smoking. Hypnosis works and best of all you can buy a book or cd on how to do some self hypnosis..Good luck to you. Thx

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
God works in mysterious ways.

No one likes a quitter.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Doc, Bro it sounds like you got dosed.
You describe a chemical induced psychosis to a t.
Been to Bangcock (snick) lately?
Chloral Hydrate is pretty snoozy, but super pure, super concentrated methamphetamines can rock your world.
Ever smoke any Diviners Sage? It's frisky, but risky.
How about Lysergic acid 25? Sandoz is clean, but spooks use something more like a 5,000mic zone dose. It's a "retirement benefit", you'll usually hang yourself or swallow a school bus, or attempt flying from some towering giant leering demoness who can look like a building to get ya to step into her little game.
Then we have peyote (makes ya puke N disassociate).
Ayahuasca, it's really organic '___', Let the shamans guide you, they know about where you are...really...everybody goes there. It may be an alternate reality. Machine Dwarves, waifs part humanish part blossom, part butterfly, and the negroes, brightly feathered say forget the night, stay with us here in forests of asure, out here on the perimeter we is stoned....imaculate...or some such, but you'll breath some smoke from a bowl of patchouli and poppy latex and the dragon will chase you into sweet dreams of brown nymphs and firefly children.
Tomorrow the shaman will tell you a sacred thing.
Tonight he'll watch over you, wise in his magic, innocent in his sharing, deadly for dangerous visions that beckon you forever.
His sacred word is....nevermore.
I think he reads Poe.
We could trip through the endless micoplasms and halucinagenic mold, cane toads say lick me dude!
I'm glad you survived if you are.
We are not here more than we are.
It's all just how you look at things.
In perspective human experience is...well...lacking.
We need wierd trips, religons, drugs, drunken sex with fifteen strangers in a VW Microbus.
You know...normal stuff.
Take any gods that'll take you, for mankinds imaginings obscure the invisible, the spiritual, the tiny golden lights you see swarming around before you go out.
Gone before, here to sing you home.
But I wouldn't worry.
I'll smoke a few camels and a couple of good cigars this eve, and I'll ask whatever gods there be to catch you if you fall...it takes a little while to light up and swarm.
Doubt this advice, it profits not those entangled with flesh.
Embrace voodoo mumbo jumbo, deny science.
Now look....I've flown!
Luminaught
Idiot savant in Residence.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

So glad you are here to tell your story Doc, being in the health care field I can tell that I have taken care of many stroke victims who were not as lucky as you and not here to tell their stories. Bless you and also bless your wife. Some of us need these wake up calls and if your story helps members on ATS that is wonderful.

Yes the medical care we enjoy in this country is second to none.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join