It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My condolences to the Doc and a wishful return to good health. I'm a smoker of cigarettes. I've been ready to quit and have all my ducks in a row to quit through smoking cessation products. Thanx for the wake up call. I don't want to go through what you did. My heart goes out to you. Ugh, the things we go through. I'm 43 and know its time. I feel it through my blood pressure. Want to be free of medication. Good luck Doc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Doc
Glad you are better............btw
STOP smoking...............I enjoy your posts and thought your insight into the sensations are wonderful. IT gives us all something to think about.........
Hugs. Blessings.........and so God does exist? wowl glad you are better..........

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes?

Not at all, at this point in time I have nothing to lose, I am not long for this world so I will smoke to the end.

That said, I am happy to hear that you made it through that and will continue contributing here, I have always enjoyed reading your posts here.

The way you wrote your story in this thread was very moving, and honestly I could feel the panic a bit just by reading it.

Stay healthy, your family and friends as well as ATS needs you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hey Doc, I'm glad youre still with us. i've secretly been sidelining ATS for awhile now and your posts always brought enlightenment and a bit of humor to ATS, one of the reasons why I kept comming back.

We would have lost a grand illumanist if you'd kicked the bucket.

your experience makes me rethink my issues with smoking.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by muzzleflash

To blame smoking without having done extensive testing; is not scientific at all.

I can't argue with that... but that being said, smoking certainly wouldn't have helped Docs stroke. Let's just all be thankful that Doc survived and leave the debates and negativity at the door for this particular thread!

i say....half truths need to be exposed, & such is the case by blaming smoking directly, just bad science as the Dr. postulated it was a chunk-a plaque that broke off a clogged artery or something.

but i also think that quitting the smoking habit is beneficial, i'm uncertain on the nicotene though,

hope Doc V doesn't have bad results from his stroke,
but in the world of Zen... struggles are to be accepted

I am glad you,Doc, made it through the stroke without much damage.

I HAVE READ THAT LEANING YOUR HEAD BACK INTO A SINK TO HAVE
YOUR HAIR WASHED CAN CAUSE STROKES IN OLDER PERSONS. I hope you read this.

Now I was having terrible pains in my chest late at night.I couldnt even stand so I crawled over to my mothers bedroom door and banged on it and told her. She said go back to sleep. I eventually with much arguing convinced her to call 911 and the next day they replaced my aortic arch.
Though all I wanted was some pain meds.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thanks heaps for sharing. I have just emailed this to two of my sisters and my girlfriend, all of whom smoke.

I'm a reformed smoker, but I was never heavy, plus I'm only in my 20's, but still, this is the sort of thing that should be read by everyone.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Glad you're ok brother.

I'm a cigarette fiend. But I'll smoke em while I've got em, afterall the oil gusher is going to make us all extinct any day now

[edit on 28-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It is good to hear this turned on the better side of things.

I personally have an issue with this....my best friend is a smoker. I can not convince her to stop and when I bring it up she becomes furious. I do not beat her over the head or anything crazy I merely express my concern and care. I am at a loss as to what to do with someone who is like this and I have sent her this thread in hopes that she finds your story much more realistic and hard hitting then some laboratory findings.

Hopefully this will at least help her see...I do not expect her to change in an instant and rather prefer to think of myself and my efforts as having planted a seed. I can not make her mind up for her but I can plant the base of facts and whatever else may be needed for her to do this some day....hopefully soon.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sad to hear Doc...

But I just wish you'd had more faith in your wife, because when I read "Don't worry, it's in God's hands now." I feel like you basically gave up on her, and she had NOT given up on you.

Understandable, I've been in a similar situation with my heart, but still.. i accepted death knowing nothing was after.. Not feeling serene, just accepting.

I had no one to be so inexhaustibly compassionate with me. You did.

I'd never have given up so easily without giving my last breath, with someone I love...

But get well, star and flag because this is a scary topic, and I'm glad you are here to tell us !!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Thankfully, your brain seems in peak condition, since you were able to write so well.

Thanks for making such a great thread and sharing your experience.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A good wake-up call for those who still choose to smoke cigarettes.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread, and this is probably a good time to plug them, but I stopped smoking regular cigarettes and started using a personal vaporizer (aka electronic cigarette) about 6 months ago. My health has improved drastically, I don't get winded any more, I feel more energized during the day...the list goes on.

While they're not as good as quitting altogether, they do offer a way for people who've tried again and again to quit cigarettes to still get their nicotine fix with much less health risks for the user and those around them. not to mention, they're actually much cheaper than cigarettes too.

the idea is basically - instead of burning tobacco, you inhale a heated mixture of propylene glycol (used in many foods, cosmetics, medications and even asthma inhalers), nicotine extract, and some flavoring compounds. they give you the same satisfaction of a real cigarette too...with the clouds of vapor realistically mimicking both the appearance and feel of smoke.

i won't plug any particular distributors, but I'd recommend checking out the electronic cigarette forum and gather some info to make the decision which type of ecig is appropriate for you and who the best suppliers are.

i used to spend $4/day or $120/month on nasty cancer sticks. now i spend roughly $40-60/month on supplies for my ecig, so i'm saving money and doing something good for my health.

smokers check it out!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Don't know if the following's been mentioned in this thread so far, but if not, I've just been reading posts in another site about the ease with which former smokers have quite, using the Alan Carr's Easyway method

I looked up the site and see it has offices all over the world - and luminaries such as Richard Branson, Ellen, Anthony Hopkins etc. have provided testimonials

There are several sites online for this Alan Carr

and apparently there's also a book of the same name, if you don't want or can't afford to attend the meetings

www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com...

Not trying to plug this method. Haven't used it. But as many smokers are afraid they won't be able to stop, I'm simply posting this for them to explore if they like --- because on other sites, posters just like us are saying this method made it all very easy for them to stop smoking

Best wishes to the OP for a full recovery

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
I HAVE READ THAT LEANING YOUR HEAD BACK INTO A SINK TO HAVE
YOUR HAIR WASHED CAN CAUSE STROKES IN OLDER PERSONS. I hope you read this.

Just to clarify this comment. In addition to the two large carotid arteries that run up the front of your neck there is a smaller set that run up the rear of the neck....vertebral arteries. There have been cases of these getting pinched during chiropractic treatments, excessive neck strain, improper exercise or over exertion etc. I assume that is what you are referring to.

Just trying to maintain accuracy within topic.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hey Doc, your post reminded me of this!

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you for this important post, Doc! Everyone needs to know the symptoms of stroke so they can get immediate medical care.

My mother had a stroke about 15 years ago. She told me her symptoms in a cross-country phone call. I begged and pleaded with her to hang up and call 911. She refused. A some early hour she needed to get to the bathroom, but she fell onto the floor next to her bed. She didn't call anyone before 7am because she didn't want to be a bother. She died 10 years ago a hemiplegic with 3 clots near her brainstem.

Thanks to her, I have a 10 times greater risk of stroke myself. I had to completely redo my diet and lifestyle in an effort to prevent stroke.

I am so happy that you are doing so well, Doc

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by brent81
smokers check it out!

But isn't it all about that first inhale of acrid stinking death?

It is for me...

I could inject nicotine (no not literally, just pointing out a statement) and still not get the same quench..

But I'm an abuser of things.. I can't take anything in reasonable amounts.

All or nothing, thats me... sadly..

almost 40 - oh well..

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Congratulations on your very fortunate recovery- some people who have strokes become permantely disabled. As an non-tobacco smoker I worry about the health of my lungs but seeing your story- oooh boy, that put the fear for health back in me. I'm not overweight but I know my lungs *probably* has some issues and that worries me.

I recall someone on ats posting a method using some sort of soda brew that you drink and that makes you puke up the nasty mucus sludge in your lungs...

If anyone has that receipe (sp?) Please post it and send me a U2U if you can.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
read the OP and needed a smoke afterwards..
Pretty harrowing.
man.. gonna have another now.

what will it take for me to stop? dunno.. maybe it was your post.

b

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Bspiracy]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Hey Doc i have a question for you...was there any kind of pain? usually there is a sharp pain associated with a stroke, did you experience anything? just curious.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

I recall someone on ats posting a method using some sort of soda brew that you drink and that makes you puke up the nasty mucus sludge in your lungs...

How on earth would that be possible? There are two pipes, the trachia, and the esophagus.

You can't "puke" anything from your lungs lol!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join