It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Al jazeera provide better news coverage than CNN?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Read the story titles

Top stories on Al Jazeera right now:

-Sabotage' behind India train crash
- Nepal on brink of political crisis
- Obama defends oil spill response
- US base to stay on Okinawa
- Tensions rise over Gaza aid fleet
- US unveils new security strategy
- Dubai unit seeks debt push-back
- Jamaica 'drug lord' eludes capture
- Bashir begins new Sudan term
- Florida Keys hit by oil threat
- Poverty key issue in Colombia poll
- Israel's Gaza PR offensive

english.aljazeera.net...

Top stories on CNN right now

- Man convicted of rape, strangulation
- Behind the Scenes: Casualties of war
- Iraqi kids taunted on video
- Study: Empathy affected by race
- Pregnant at 47: Can I do that?
- Surfing's dirty little secret
- 'Idol': What you didn't see on TV
- PM's plaid shirt ugliest ever?
- Inside Jesse James' $7M home for sale
- Opinion: 'No idea' where oil is drifting

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Does Al jazeera provide better news coverage than CNN?

Well I am assuming you are speaking about
topics presented.

It is my opinion that AJ does a better job than CNN
of selecting topics, but most of all

It does a better job of non-biased, freedom of the press,
investigative journalism.

AJ doesn't have men in black standing over your
shoulder with guns if u print something contrary
to government propaganda.

I would rank it up there with the likes of
Russia Today however, RT has many more videos

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I really think it has to do with viable audience. They are appealing to different target audiences and I am sure with each topic the quality can slide either was to suit special vested interests. Also a lot more is happening there with different countries in approximation to each other. So it may seem as more important topics are presented to AJ's audience because of how many countries in that area to be affected by such news.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is a repeat. I am sure I responded to this same thread earlier this week.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
They certainly do.

See wtfcnn.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
I really think it has to do with viable audience. They are appealing to different target audiences and I am sure with each topic the quality can slide either was to suit special vested interests.

It looks to me like the audience that CNN panders to are more immature, less educated, less intelligent and have a smaller world view than Al Jazaara's audience.

Is it possible that Americans are being dumbed down intentially?

Stupid people are easier to control and make money off of would be my guess as to thier intentions.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Al Jizzonyoueara is a mouthpiece for Islamic Jihad and nothing more.

Dawa and Taqiyya all rolled into one.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

Al Jizzonyoueara is a mouthpiece for Islamic Jihad and nothing more.

And CNN is the mouthpiece of no-one?

The islamic Jihad seems to be very well educated and informed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't watch CNN so i can't comment on that, but it is corporate sourced so i am prejudiced dubiously.

Al Jazeera [English] does a good job covering the globe in a way the corporate incestuous myopics don't.

It is on the ground people reporting. Definitely like that.

Sometimes the anchors can be somewhat confrontational/antagonistic, but i think that is a really good thing as long as they are still listening & responding.
Clearly they are actively engaged. Not half asleep or hyped-up plastic happy air heads 'recreational tour guides' of corporate news.

I of course follow some other [non-corporate] news sources, any sane person wants several diverse ones if one is going to try to be informed.

Democracynow.org is good & has a lot of literate, informed, more indepth interviews.
Huffpost has reporting that takes an independent viewpoint.
Yahoo is sort of a basic, slightly corporate, general news source.

Network news is insidious trash where every other story is propaganda & flat out lies, or just plain shallow glitzy 'infotainment'

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Network news is insidious trash where every other story is propaganda & flat out lies, or just plain shallow glitzy 'infotainment'

Clearly this is the case.

Most American media is mindless drival and propaganda for the masses.

The network media clowns are not much better than circus performers doing the bidding of thier corporate/government masters.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
CNN is the world leader in American news.

Over here, their promos are laced with phrases like "today's stories... from an American perspective". It's very clear from their programming on both the international website and TV network (CNNi and CNN asia, if i remember right) that they're not designed to fill you in on the news. They're designed to keep you informed about news in the USA, and keep you abreast of stories that might affect American interests.

AJ, on the other hand, is a proper global news source. Their stories reflect what is actually going on in the world - regardless of who it might be important to. It's mandatory reading for anyone interested in current events (or should be), because very often they follow emerging stories for months before they become big enough to attract CNN's attention.

Like any other source, watch with a critical eye. Absolutely worth a daily read, though. Been my homepage for years.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

AJ, on the other hand, is a proper global news source. Their stories reflect what is actually going on in the world - regardless of who it might be important to. It's mandatory reading for anyone interested in current events (or should be), because very often they follow emerging stories for months before they become big enough to attract CNN's attention.

Like any other source, watch with a critical eye. Absolutely worth a daily read, though. Been my homepage for years.

I'm wary of all.

Al jazeera seems worthy of keeping tabs on though, unless they prove themselves otherwise.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death

I'm wary of all.

Al jazeera seems worthy of keeping tabs on though, unless they prove themselves otherwise.

I have found it to be worthy of more than keeping tabs on - it's the first news source I check every morning when I turn on my computer. Be wary, absolutely - you should be with all media. But if you need to know what's happening in the world, it's pretty much the best game in town. Even moreso than the BBC, which still has awkward vestiges of colonialist thinking popping up in their stories.

And if you want to know what's going on in areas that are off the Western radar, it's the only game in town.

top topics

join