It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is lucid dreaming and how rare is it to have?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm curious as to what is lucid dreaming and how rare is it to be able lucid dream. Every time I sleep I lucid dream. Which I still don't really understand the definition on lucid dreaming. When I dream it feels like I journey to another world. Every time I lucid dream it's like a story book that has become reality. I can feel everything. even if someone is getting hurt, As well I remember every dream in great detail since I was a kid. Once in a while I do Déjà vu when I relate to something I already seen in my dream.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that he or she is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, he or she can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid dreams can seem extremely real and vivid depending on a person's level of self-awareness during the lucid dream.

en.wikipedia.org...

I lucid dream all the time so I can't really say how rare it is but my dreams are very vivid and colorful (some people say they dream in black and white) and I remember them 90% of the time.

That's about all I can tell you.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
I'm curious as to what is lucid dreaming and how rare is it to be able lucid dream. Every time I sleep I lucid dream. Which I still don't really understand the definition on lucid dreaming. When I dream it feels like I journey to another world. Every time I lucid dream it's like a story book that has become reality. I can feel everything. even if someone is getting hurt, As well I remember every dream in great detail since I was a kid. Once in a while I do Déjà vu when I relate to something I already seen in my dream.

People go through a lot of training just to have the privilege of lucid dreaming.

Lucid dream is when you can remember your dream, and you can control it. You can control the scenery, yourself etc..

You can learn to fly etc.

www.luciddreaming.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

That's spot on! Dude! both of you are great!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I'm curious as to what is lucid dreaming and how rare is it to be able lucid dream.

Well Basically......

Lucid dreaming means dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming. The term was coined by Frederik van Eeden who used the word "lucid" in the sense of mental clarity. Lucidity usually begins in the midst of a dream when the dreamer realizes that the experience is not occurring in physical reality, but is a dream. Often this realization is triggered by the dreamer noticing some impossible or unlikely occurrence in the dream, such as flying or meeting the deceased. Sometimes people become lucid without noticing any particular clue in the dream; they just suddenly realize they are in a dream. A minority of lucid dreams (according to the research of LaBerge and colleagues, about 10 percent) are the result of returning to REM (dreaming) sleep directly from an awakening with unbroken reflective consciousness.

The basic definition of lucid dreaming requires nothing more than becoming aware that you are dreaming. However, the quality of lucidity can vary greatly. When lucidity is at a high level, you are aware that everything experienced in the dream is occurring in your mind......
(Read More Here)

Also if you click that link above you can read up on much more about lucid dreaming to give you a much better understanding of what it is exactly.

Now as far as I know Lucid Dreaming is relatively rare (could be wrong here) but it can be by far easier for some, meaning some can do it naturally or through a minimal deree of practice and for others it can take a long time to finally achieve, maybe even never!

Personally I’m one of the people who fid it very difficult to achieve which is quite frustrating to say the least and it's something that will take a lot of practice to achieve but there are ways to do it! in fact there are many ways and here are some below that should be quite helpful to you but I really do suggest you research this yourself still to find the best ways for you.

Here are some tips for learning how to lucid dreams.

Dream Recall

The core exercise is writing down everything you recall about your dreams in a dream journal immediately after waking from the dream, no matter how fragmentary your recall. Record what you recall immediately upon
(Read More Here)

Reality Testing

This is a good technique for beginners. Assign yourself several times a day to perform the following exercise. Also do it anytime you think of it, especially when something odd occurs or when you are reminded of dreams. It helps to choose specific occasions like
(Read More Here)

Dreamsigns

Another dream-recall related exercise introduced in EWLD and further developed in A Course in Lucid Dreaming is identifying "dreamsigns." This term, coined by LaBerge, refers to elements of dreams that indicate that you are dreaming. (Examples: miraculous flight, purple cats, malfunctioning devices, and meeting deceased people.) By studying your dreams you can become familiar with your own personal
(Read More Here

Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams (MILD)

The MILD technique employs prospective memory, remembering to do something (notice you're dreaming) in the future. Dr. LaBerge developed this technique for his doctoral dissertation and used it to achieve lucid dreaming at will. The proper time to practice MILD is after awakening from a dream, before
(Read More Here)

Napping

Two observations led LaBerge in the late 1970s to develop morning napping as a method of lucid dream induction. First, he noticed that lucidity seemed to come easier in afternoon naps. The second suggestion same from several lucid dreamers who noted that certain activities during the night appeared to induce lucid dreaming. The diverse qualities
(Read More Here)

And here is another link you may find helpful.

Lucidity - What You Need To Know

As I have mentioned these are just quick examples that could be particularly helpful so you should do your own research still and find what works best for you!

Good Luck with achieving Lucidity

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks for the links. From what I can tell I think a lot. If that helps one to lucid dream.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Well as far as I know It should take alot more than simply thinking alot to achieve the stage of lucidity as there are specific measures and guidelines that you could follow (like the ones I posted) that could help you out alot.

But don’t forget that lucid dreaming can just come to you without you really doing anything, you don't have to follow any guidelines or do anything in particular really as it’s not mandatory at all, it can just come naturally.

But a little tip: I did actually find Dream Recall to be really useful, not specifically in achieving Lucidity but really just in general as it helps you to remember your dreams better.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Well I have been doing a lot of the things you posted. Lucid dreaming is really fun gift to have.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Well your question and original post was a little vague, but I can answer any specific questions you might have.

If you want a very good site on lucid dreaming, might I suggest?

www.dreamviews.com

That's where I learned all about it a couple years ago. Now, It's like a way of life.

Again, I can answer to the best of my knowledge any specific questions you may have, don't be afraid to ask.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Well one big question I have is. How come I can feel everything. I can feel what I'm feeling, someone else is and even what a animal is feeling. One time I was involved in a huge explosion. I even remember waking up in that dream. Like being knocked out. I felt someone's pain when they got hurt. It's weird.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

www.dreamviews.com

That is the website I learned from too, but then had no time to continue, or maybe I got too lazy to continue..

I even got to a stage where I almost learned how to fly..

The techniques and the approaches they present in the website actually works ^^

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

Flying in your dreams is fun to do. That's cool you almost learned how to do it. Just keep imagining it! Trust me it should work!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Well, dreams are exclusively a creation of your own subconscious. Quite literally, you are a god in your dreams (especially lucid dreams).

If you're generally a caring person in real life, it wouldn't surprise me that while in the dreamworld, you'd feel an excess of emotion and feeling.

It could be that you're an Empath. Look up the definition, you might be pleasantly surprised with what you find.

Hope I helped.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Another great link! Thanks heyjude.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by heyJude

Another great link! Thanks heyjude.

No problem.

And Rising Against, that information you posted is very useful to anybody interested in learning the basics of lucid dreaming. A star for you, I assume you are quite experienced in LD'ing?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Thank You, Well, I suppose I am interested in LD but really not as much as you would think in all honesty.

So No, I'm not really experienced at all I'm just really interested in anything that's even remotely related to the paranormal so I've come across LD quite a bit before and I've researched it quite a lot for my own benefit as well etc.

All with no success of actually achieving it myself though annoyingly (something which can be frustrating at times) but I really do think it's such an amazing ‘skill’ to possess and I really do hope those who can achieve it take it seriously and try and benefit from it as best they can.

ETA: Nice to know I seem to come off as 'experienced'.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
People report achieving lucid dreaming with benadryl.
Using a drug to achieve different levels of consciousness can be and usually is dangerous.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I agree, why use a drug to achieve it when you can do it via the best and most propper way...Naturally.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I dream ALOT, nearly every night. I've even been able to see factors that seem to determine whether or not I have a lucid dream. Usually, if I get reclusive and stay indoors a lot with no sun, I can sleep each night more months with only one or two. I recently moved away from my home town into the country and picked up a job as a lifeguard. This has resulted in better air quality, more sunlight and me eating a bit better since I have a job.

The most substantial factor is my computer. I like to stay up and watch a movie or play games. If I leave my computer or anything electronic within 3-4 feet of me, I wont dream at all, so now I move them.

Even more interesting to me is what I dream about. Last year around October and november, I was eating a lot and working out. Dreams where coming left and right, and I had a lot of vivid day dreams that occurred at work, and my job only required a minimal attention span, so it was OK. The dreams from that time period where about my living situation, job, and the girl or my dreams, who is my best friend. I dreamt she had started going through troubles with her boyfriend and s=her spiritual side, then dreamt of them fighting, so a party getting busted, and the two of them falling apart. Then it all happened. I started telling her what was going to occur 2 day to 3 weeks before it actually would, and when I was right, it pissed her off.

A lot of the time intention fuels my dreams. If I think about something or someone enough, then I will begin to see them as a focus in while being lucid, and sometime see things they are gong to happen to them.

What freaks me out are dreams I remember from around age 12. World ending dreams and things about my life that are happening NOW.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
I agree, why use a drug to achieve it when you can do it via the best and most propper way...Naturally.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Rising Against]

my guess would be the same reason athletes use phds,

easier, faster, stronger

edit though not always the "best" choice

[edit on 29-5-2010 by pepesilvia]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join