It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof Ouija Board are a NOVELTY item!!!nothing more.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
www.witchboards.net...

It is pretty much unknown who invented the Ouija board...but if I had to put my money on it, I'd say it was Elijah Bond since his name graces the original patent documents under the .ing "inventor". Still, some say it as a man named Charles Kennard. Regardless of who actually invented the board, Charles Kennard and his Kennard Novelty Company are responsible for being the first to patent a new item that would soon be all the rage. He was awarded the patent on February 10, 1891. He called the new creation "Ouija" because he claims the board told him that Ouija was Egyptian for "Good Luck." Well...Ouija isn't really "Good Luck" in Egyptian but no one seemed to know or care. The name stuck and so did this new fad.

His children then took over the business and continued selling the boards through the great depression all the way up to 1966 when they retired. That is when the fate of the Ouija was sealed. They sold the rights to the Ouija board to Parker Brothers. One of the first boards Parker Brothers made was great. It was wooden and is the best board Parker Brothers ever made. I have one of these on display in my galleries as well. Then, sadly, the boards went from hardboard, to tightly-pressed paper, to cardboard. Now all that is being manufactured is a glow in the dark version of the Ouija. Maybe one day, Parker Brothers will wise up and make a wooden edition. At the moment, we can only hope for this. Interestingly enough, I read that more Ouija boards have been sold throughout history than any other board game. This includes Parker Brothers' own Monopoly. I hope you enjoyed this history...this is based on several different sources so it may not be totally accurate. The Ouija has a very cloudy past at best.

nothing ancient about it...or magical
in 1891 here was more fake ghost photo's than we could shake a stick at..
they called it spirit photography.
Ghost's was The ShizNit sorta like now with ghost hunter's ect...
except there photo's where gold...
www.prairieghosts.com...

In 1891, the practice of spirit photography gained more credibility when Alfred Russell Wallace, the co-developer of the theory of evolution, spoke out with the belief that spirit photography should be studied scientifically. He later wrote about his own investigations into it and included a statement that he believed the possibility of it was real. He did not feel that just because some of the photos that had been documented were obviously fraudulent, that all of them could be dismissed as hoaxes. Despite such notable interest in the field, little was heard of spirit photography (outside of Spiritualist circles) for a number of years. But during this time, some fairly spectacular photos did manage to appear and some of them have remained unexplained ever since. Perhaps my favorite of this period has been referred to as the "Lord Combermere Photograph". The photo was taken in 1891 (and first published in 1895) by Sybell Corbett, who was staying with her sister at Combermere Abbey in Cheshire, England. She decided to take a photo of the large library there and used an exposure of about one hour, a fact that she noted in her diary. Although no one was in the room when the photo was taken, the developed plate showed the faint image of a man seated in one of the chairs. The photograph was shown to a relative of Lord Combermere and it was identified as being the man himself. The problem with this was at the time the photo was taken, Lord Combermere was being buried in a churchyard a few miles away. He had been killed in an accident just five days before! The photo has defied explanation ever since. In 1911, spirit photography entered the mainstream with the publication of the

So you can see there was money to be made my peep's..so The Ouija Board was made.

figured i would like to show proof it's nothing but a board game.
and you should have no fear of monopoly nor a Ouija Board.

pass go do not collect 200 buck's...end of the story .

[edit on 28-5-2010 by TheAmused]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by TheAmused]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
But you haven't shown 'proof' of anything

All you've done is paste the origins of commercially retailed ouija boards

and pasted some more about fake 'spirit photography'

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of Oija boards, .... I always knew they were a novelty, however that doesn't mean that they absoloutely don't work.

In the right hands in the right conditions they could very well be used to speak to people who have crossed over.

So even though it's meant to be a fun way to pass time, it could also be a way to communicate to the dead, regardless of its origins.

I mean, digital recorders are designed for us to record notes in class when we fall asleep, ..... however they can catch EVP's as well.

So whatever something is designed to do, that doesn't neccesarily define it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Yep

and just as a weight on the end of a length of string can function as a ouija board --- and probably did so, thousands of years ago

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
While I am not supporting Ouija Boards in any way, and think they are nothing to be messed with, your basic premise is incorrect. While it is true that “Ouija” is a modern trademark for these boards, they are significantly older then the company that now holds the rights to market them under that name:

One of the first mentions of the automatic writing method used in the Ouija board is found in China around 1100 B.C., and it is first recorded in historical documents of the Song Dynasty. The method was known as fuji "planchette writing". The use of planchette writing as a means of ostensibly contacting the dead and the spirit-world continued, and, albeit under special rituals and supervisions, was a central practice of the Quanzhen School, until it was forbidden by the Qing Dynasty.[4] Several entire scriptures of the Daozang are supposedly works of automatic planchette writing. Similar methods of mediumistic spirit writing have been widely practiced in Ancient India, Greece, Rome and medieval Europe.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I have a ouija board that I've left sitting out for weeks at a time and the triangle thingy never moved. not once.

Now I cant say the same for my "haunted" car keys which seemly move around all the time on there own...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
the ghost of my rich uncle always knocks my hotels of boardwalk when we play monopoly too folk's...or does he maybe it's just me thinking he is..as my little brother snicker's cause he did it.

evp's are another story.
your comparing a electronic gadget to a board game mass produced to get our money.
if ya can see my point.

We buy the board in hope's to get a scare and a what if response..
and that's what the board was made for ....to make money of the mass's
on the paranormal in which there is no way to claim it's 100% real or 100% fake...it's win win to the board maker's.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Yep

and just as a weight on the end of a length of string can function as a ouija board --- and probably did so, thousands of years ago

you just described a Plum bob.
en.wikipedia.org...

A plumb-bob or a plummet is a weight, usually with a pointed tip on the bottom, that is suspended from a string and used as a vertical reference line, or plumb-line. The instrument has been used in since at least the time of the ancient Egypt[1] to ensure that constructions are "plumb", or vertical. It is also used in surveying to establish the nadir with respect to gravity of a point in space. They are used with a variety of instruments (including levels, theodolites, and steel tapes) to set the instrument exactly over a fixed survey marker, or to transcribe positions onto the ground for placing a marker.[2]

and it's used to build stuff with.
but im sure someone has used it to summon a ghost or talk to a demon lol

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
the ghost of my rich uncle always knocks my hotels of boardwalk when we play monopoly too folk's...or does he maybe it's just me thinking he is..as my little brother snicker's cause he did it.

evp's are another story.
your comparing a electronic gadget to a board game mass produced to get our money.
if ya can see my point.

We buy the board in hope's to get a scare and a what if response..
and that's what the board was made for ....to make money of the mass's
on the paranormal in which there is no way to claim it's 100% real or 100% fake...it's win win to the board maker's.

Which are you most concerned with --- the fact someone makes money selling ouija boards ? Or the fact yours doesn't work for you ?

Because neither of the above have any relevance to those who have used ouija boards to effect --- or to those who've fashioned their own version from scraps of paper and overtuned wine glass

There are people out here in the big, wide world, who've seen ouija boards in operation, be they the commercial or home-made variety

They work for some, not for others. They work for some, some of the time

Regardless of what you or I believe, people use and have used various forms of ouija boards for thousands of years, to effect

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Thanks. But I know what a plumb bob is. Have several. Have antique versions, quite a collection

A weight on a length of string is also described sometimes as a pendulum. And yes, they can function in exactly the same way as a ouija board. I've used them. They work to my satisfaction. The information obtained was extraordinary. I still possess documented proof of information supplied me initially via a simple pendulum

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
you just described a Plum bob.
but im sure someone has used it to summon a ghost or talk to a demon lol

Its also called a pendula:

A pendulum of crystal, metal or other materials suspended on a chain is sometimes used in divination and dowsing. In one approach the user first determines which direction (left-right, up-down) will indicate "yes" and which "no" before proceeding to ask the pendulum specific questions, or else another person may pose questions to the person holding the pendulum. The pendulum may also be used over a pad or cloth with "yes" and "no" written on it and perhaps other words written in a circle. The person holding the pendulum aims to hold it as steadily as possible over the center and its movements are held to indicate answers to the questions. In the practice of radiesthesia, a pendulum is used for medical diagnosis.

Simply depends on what you use it for.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

that's my point..
if enough people say hey!!! this certain kind of salad fork let me talk to ghost...
it's the next big ghost thing.

yes and i know how the plum bob work's.
your subconscious moves your hand in the circle or left /right..
as in you ask the question
did i watch tv today if so go in a circle... and lo and behold it moves in a circle.
it's nothing magical more scientific.
in fact i am sure a science teacher showed me this in school.

you surely have to see where i am coming from here.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This might sound crazy but the devil wants you to think that the ouija board is just a novelty item and therefore think its safe to play with and keep playing with it. While being a very dangerous and evil item of which you have no idea what you dealing with. Satan isn't called the king of Deceit for nothing and this is one of his many tools. Believe what you will but you have been warned and have nice day!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

While I certainly share your skepticism about Ouija boards I must say that you will not win many people over here.

I've seen how Ouija board discussions go here on ATS and typically they are dominated by people telling anecdotal unverified stories about how terrible paranormal things started happening to them in relation to a Ouija board. These sorts of anecdotal reports, for some strange reason, actually manage to convince some people.

Generally the Ouija board is just a piece of material (plastic or wood typically) with letters on it and perhaps a yes no or maybe - how is this paranormal and furthermore how is this ANY DIFFERENT from the keyboard on which I am typing right now?

Another issue I have with Ouija boards is that those using them fall prey to the Ideomotor effect whereby movements are made that are not conscious. It is a fatally flawed experiment in which the variable is typically a superstitious human who already believes something spooky is about to happen. If a Ouija board moved WITHOUT human influence or trickery it might actually mean something but with the human variable attached to it anything that is spelled out is entirely NORMAL not paranormal.

Ideomotor Effect

I agree with you that its nothing supernatural or magical but I have to say you should have titled the thread "Prove to me that the Ouija board is anything other than a novelty toy" thereby putting the burden of proof on those who make the absurd and ridiculous claim that a piece of cardboard/wood/plastic with the alphabet on it is actually a supernatural conduit.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

there was money to be made

Proof Ouija Board are a NOVELTY item!!!nothing more.

I see. So then, the fact that there is money to be made in the automobile industry is proof that cars are fake, and nothing but novelty items.

Bravo.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Yes, I see where you’re coming from…
Nostradamus used to divine using a bowl and water. I am sure there was nothing special about either the bowl or the water. The point is that there is intent and focus. Someone is focusing on an object (no matter how mundane) with the intent of using it for divination. Now if the results are real, and what causes them is certainly been an object of speculation for a long time.

Some folks believe that it is the subconscious.
Some believe it is involuntary movements.
Some believe that it focuses them to the spirit world.
Ect…

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

While I certainly share your skepticism about Ouija boards I must say that you will not win many people over here.

I've seen how Ouija board discussions go here on ATS and typically they are dominated by people telling anecdotal unverified stories about how terrible paranormal things started happening to them in relation to a Ouija board. These sorts of anecdotal reports, for some strange reason, actually manage to convince some people.

Generally the Ouija board is just a piece of material (plastic or wood typically) with letters on it and perhaps a yes no or maybe - how is this paranormal and furthermore how is this ANY DIFFERENT from the keyboard on which I am typing right now?

Another issue I have with Ouija boards is that those using them fall prey to the Ideomotor effect whereby movements are made that are not conscious. It is a fatally flawed experiment in which the variable is typically a superstitious human who already believes something spooky is about to happen. If a Ouija board moved WITHOUT human influence or trickery it might actually mean something but with the human variable attached to it anything that is spelled out is entirely NORMAL not paranormal.

Ideomotor Effect

I agree with you that its nothing supernatural or magical but I have to say you should have titled the thread "Prove to me that the Ouija board is anything other than a novelty toy" thereby putting the burden of proof on those who make the absurd and ridiculous claim that a piece of cardboard/wood/plastic with the alphabet on it is actually a supernatural conduit.

o my gosh i find every post you ever typed i couldnt agree more with star for you.

as for the rest of ats tell us your stories about magic demons and ghosts and satans haunting you because you used a ouiji board
and dont give us any "i know a guy" stories

i dont see how cardboard with letters on it can contact the dead
any more than the lines in your hand or images printed on a tarot card can tell you the future

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
My History of the Ouija Board predates yours.. And is more believable.

" History of the Ouija

Oracle

In the year 1848, something unusual happened in Hydesville, New York. Two sisters, Kate and Margaret Fox, contacted the spirit of a dead peddler, became instant celebrities and started a national obsession that spread all across the United States and Europe. It was the birth of modern Spiritualism. The whole world it seemed, was ripe for communication with the dead. Spiritualist churches sprang up everywhere, and persons with the special gift or "pipeline" to the "other side" were in great demand. These unique individuals, designated "mediums" because they acted as intermediaries between spirits and humans, invented a variety of interesting ways to communicate with the spirit world. Table turning (rapping) was one of these. The medium and attending sitters would rest their fingers lightly on a table and wait for spiritual contact. Soon the table would tilt and move and knock on the floor in a code to represent the different letters of the alphabet. Entire messages from the spirits could be spelled out in this way.

Another, less noisy method, was a form of spirit writing employing a small basket with a pencil attached to one end. The medium simply had to rest a hand on the basket, establish contact, and the spirit would take over, writing the message from the Great Beyond. The pencil basket quickly evolved into a more sophisticated tool, the planchette. This was a small heart shaped table (see pictures) with two rotating casters underneath. A pencil at the apex formed the third leg. Legend has it that the inventor of this device was M. Planchette a French medium, but no information on such a person exists and the fact that the word "planchette" in French means "little plank" suggests a translation error rather than an actual person.

The problem with table turning was that it took far too long to spell out messages. Sitters became bored when the novelty of a rocking table wore off and the job of interpreting knocks began. Planchette writing was often difficult if not impossible to read. Just keeping the thing centered on the paper long enough to get a decipherable message, was often a challenge. Many mediums simply dispensed with the spiritual apparatus altogether, preferring instead, to transmit from the spirit world mentally in an altered state of consciousness called trance. Others eliminated the planchette but kept the pencil, finding the hand a more precise and less troublesome instrument. But there were also those who felt that utilizing the right equipment was of paramount importance if they were going to contact the spirit world properly. They experimented with rotating planchettes and alphanumeric tables and came up with the first "talking board." Léon-Dénizarth-Hippolyte Rivail (Allan Kardec), the founder of French Spiritism, described two of these devices in his 1861 book, Le Livre des Mediums (translated by Anna Blackwell):

In order to render spirit-communications independent of the medium's mind, various instruments have been devised. One of these is a sort of dial-plate, on which the letters of the alphabet are ranged like those on the dial of the electric telegraph; a moveable needle, set in motion through the medium's influence, with the aid of a conducting thread and pulley, points out the letters. A more simple contrivance, is the one devised by Madame Emile de Girardin, and by which she obtained numerous and interesting communications. The instrument alluded to, consists of a little table with a moveable top, eighteen inches in diameter, turning freely on an axle, like a wheel. On its edge are traced, as upon a dial-plate, the letters of the alphabet, the numerals, and the words "yes" and "no." In the centre is a fixed needle. The medium places his fingers on this table, which turns and stops when the desired letter is brought under the needle. The letters thus indicated being written down one after the other words and phrases are obtained, often with great rapidity. It is to be remarked that the top of the little table does not turn round under the fingers, but that the fingers remain in their place and follow the movement of the table.

These dial plate talking boards (see picture) were marketed under a number of names and transmutations in Europe well into the 1900's.

In the United States, by the 1880's, the planchette was a popular parlor game actively marketed by many toy companies. The dial plate talking board was virtually ignored. This may be because planchettes were easier to make and could be sold inexpensively as novelties. Anyway, an interesting compromise was just around the corner. Three enterprising Americans: E.C. Reiche, Elijah Bond, and Charles Kennard came up with a concept that would bring it all together. Borrowing from the archetype of the earlier dial plate talking boards, they created a new alphanumeric design. They spread the letters of the alphabet in twin arcs across the middle of the board. Below the letters were the numbers one to ten. In the corners were "YES" and "NO." They used a planchette like table (shaped more like a paddle) but instead of casters, used padded wooden pegs to permit a smooth glide over the surface of the board. All you had to do was connect to the spirit world and let the planchette move from letter to letter and spell out a message. According to some sources, Charles Kennard called the new board Ouija (pronounced 'wE-ja) after the Egyptian word for good luck. Ouija is not really Egyptian for good luck, but since the board reportedly told him it was during a session, the name stuck. He subsequently founded Kennard Novelty Company with borrowed money and in 1890 began producing the first ever commercial line of Ouija boards. His advertisements in local periodicals read:

OUIJA
A WONDERFUL TALKING BOARD " (click link to read more)
~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Your "history" is twisted to hide the truth. I have seen pictures of these boards or similar devices from over 200 years ago from many different countries.. there used to be a really good archive of ouija board pics on the net, but i dont remember the address.

Now, if nothing more than a harmless child's game, how do you explain all the paranormal things that happen when people use them?

I will respond after the OP answers.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

i dont see how cardboard with letters on it can contact the dead

My main issue isn't that its claimed to be usable to contact the dead but that its better at contacting the dead than other means or even DANGEROUS. Though certainly I don't see how it could be used to contact the dead either.

I've been on paranormal investigations before and had plenty of weird things happen to me WITHOUT the use of the Ouija board. How is it that the alphabet on a piece of wood or cardboard is dangerous, more dangerous than, say, using an EVP session type of technique.

I've gone into cemeteries and other purportedly haunted locations asking questions out loud to any spirits there... is this less or more dangerous than having something with the alphabet on it?

Many claims I've seen made by board believers is that the Ouija board can act as a portal or conduit for spirits to manifest themselves or even enter a persons body... How is this possible via the alphabet with a little pointer and is this impossible when doing a simple EVP session style of questioning?

The whole thing is subject to a mish-mosh of varying superstitions and beliefs about the board and its paranormal properties.

If a Ouija board is dangerous than shouldn't we also ban computer keyboards or the alphabet from our kindergarten classes

The whole idea is absurd and is, as I stated, subject to the fatal variable of human interference.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Hell, no! Sold it to Parkers Brothers? The owners of Monopoly? Those bastidges! Capitalist freaks!

I want a communism game, where everyone wins, but someone wins more, and everyone is happy. lol

Ouija boards? BS. That is what I call them.

Unless, those that play the silly game actually believe it all. Then there is power in their thoughts.

I'd rather put faith in a Magic 8 Ball.

But that's just me.

No, really, the Magic 8 Ball has guided my life since I was 7 years old.

Really, though, if one thinks that something has power over theiir fate, it probably does. Because they know what they want, and a game or tea leaves in a cup, encourage them to take the path they already knew they wanted to take.

Buy a true revelation will change their path.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join