It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linksys IP Drop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have a wireless network that runs two household laptops and Im the main server as the Desktop, but recently the connection has failed to renew the IP adress on time. This requires me to unplug the cable modem and router for about 5 minutes and then bring everything back online. Its very vexing and I can find no troubleshooting solutions. Suggestions or questions?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It is not losing the IP address from your ISP, but the router is failing to renew leases for machines on your LAN, right?

You may want to check the Linksys Support Page to see if they have a firmware upgrade for your model router. I had a similar problem recently, only my client machines would not lose the DHCP addresses. The router would, every half hour or so, just stop handling DNS traffic until it was reset. Firmware upgrade fixed the problem until I upgraded to a newer, better router.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
It is not losing the IP address from your ISP, but the router is failing to renew leases for machines on your LAN, right?

Exactly. Mines only two months old but it was a problem that developed about the first week of use. Hopefully the link will help.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just a personal opinion: if you router is still under warranty, change it right now for somethign else before you get more problem with it. I never had any good experiences with linksys routers. Their NIC are o.k. tho.

3Com routers KICKS ASSES!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Agent,

Up until 3 days ago, I was having the same problems you are. I would lose my DSL connection every 5 to 10 minutes because of the my Linksys router (BSFR41 4 port). After talking with my tech support and doing some reading... I realized that there has been a rash of this type problem with Linksys routers, esp. after a recent firmware update. I tried "downgrading" to earlier firmwares, and other little fixes, but nothing ever worked. I finally gave up and just bought a new router. The broadbandreports.com linksys forums have lots of people with the same problems as you: www.broadbandreports.com...
Here is another forum with someone having your problem with a wireless router... maybe you could try the fix if you havent already. forums.anandtech.com...

new topics

top topics

join