It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol - Positive or negative?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
alcohol alcohol, white light.

2nd line.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
For me, alcohol did lower my social inhibitions and allow me to feel much more comfortable in party situations. I was able to keep the loose feelings brought on by alcohol though, so I could enter the same situations sober and feel just as comfortable. I would say in that aspect alcohol was beneficial.

However, I rarely drink anymore, and never had any enlightening experiences on alcohol. I did make some rather poor judgment calls while inebriated.

I have had incredibly enlightening experiences on other substances. You might find some interesting information in the books Pihkal and Tihkal by Alexander Shulgin. I hope you find what you are looking for and I wish I could point you in the right direction.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
It's a shame alcohol is the only substance we are able to discuss here in relation to what may help such experiences.

As far as alcohol goes, though, I would say a negative in helping to experience paranormal or higher-self "awakenings" or insights.

Agreed, if I was drunk I wouldn't even give a doodles tits if I see a ghost or not.

Alcohol makes you pursue your animalistic needs the most, heightens your emotions etc etc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Anything can be detrimental or positive. Heck - you could chew the leaves from a maple tree and it might help you out. Especially if you're really hungry.
PIHKaL and TIHKaL don't talk about alcohol....
btw,
they stand for
"Phenylthamines I Have Known and Loved" and "Tryptamines I Have Known and Loved"
no mention of alcohol, and while I do enjoy the information those books have, regarding the pure chemistry of them (I believe it's part 1 of both books), the second part was far too speculative and, I believe, in some cases, purposefully misconstrued, as to give the book a more 'spiritual' feeling. Otherwise very informative, but it has nothing to do with this subject.

Alcohol is a depressant, so I expect, if you're going to attempt to meditate while drunk, that the only enlightenment you'll get is accidentally passing out, waking up- still sitting upright, wondering what the heck is going on and why you have such a headache.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It can be both, but overall I believe it does more harm than good. For me personally some of the positives would include: feeling laid back and having self-confidence to do things I would feel intimated to do without drinking first. It was also loads of fun to get drunk with friends and talk about stuff that happened. Your own memories and those of others were a good laugh.

To list all the negatives that correlate with drinking alcohol would require a thread of its own. To sum it up as best I can: it increases your chance to take part in silly and resentful behaviour that you would not do when sober. There is potential to suffer very bad consequences that far outweigh the temporary sense of joy you feel at the time. (Not to mention the day after if you did drink too much.)

I used to drink a lot but went through an event which changed my attitudes towards alcohol. It ended with a black eye and some bad grazes on my arms and legs. I still drank after that, but that experience was a wakeup call for me. I don't really drink any more today, I just don't have the inclination.

On balance I would say that alcohol is a negative practice. If other people enjoy it then all the freedom to them. Just don't make your intoxication everybody else's problem!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Dark Ghost hit the nail on the head.

When I'm not drunk, and I'm around drunk people I get PISSED! Drunk people are SO. FREAKING. ANNOYING! They're SO loud and obnoxious, say whatever comes to their stupid, drunk heads and then laugh at equally stupid, drunk jokes.

Drunk people. *sigh*

Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em *cracks a beer*

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think its a negative friend for it adds to much substance to the bloodstream which may effect you ability to interact. I think there are some more aroma therapies that may assist you depending on how well you can relax yourself and focus, but it depends on how your genetic chemical make up is. Some dont require any assistance because their minds can produce certain chemicals (dopamine or endorphins ect. and other certain neuro chems.) that others may need exerioir help to obtain full concentration, also depends on your genetic chemical make up. Once you can get centered with yourself in deep meditation eyes open or closed then begin to focus on the energy around you that in a normal day you may not sense around you-energy like the weather if its hot or cold or a nice day even the noise of the birds around you or even the energy from your breathing. Then concentrate more till you either feel a warm sensation/virbation mild though but comforting internally and externally once you feel this sensation/vibration start to concentrate on slowing down -period- everything from your hearing, breathing and movements almost completely motionless if you can concentrate enough which allows you to become more receptive to whats around you as well as making yourself receptive to what may be recognizing you within this mindstate. Now once you make it to this mindstate and can feel the energy around you YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN AS TO WHAT YOU WISH TO DO NEXT. I tend to take it strait to the celestial realm using all the known data I have retrieved to direct my path as well as actvities, activities like star interactions. Ok thats enough from within myself concerning this issue, by friend.

[edit on 5/28/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I would say negative and most would say '___' works better.

But they mostly just see and ear things due to the drugs and nothing else.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
It's a shame alcohol is the only substance we are able to discuss here in relation to what may help such experiences.

Originally posted by St-Patrick
Yeah This is such a shame that we can't talk about "other substances" on this forum. I guess it is because this website is located in USA and as we know it USA is a drug free society where no ones knows anything about illegal drugs.

Yes, it definitely is. The FACT that many hallucinogenic substances have been made illegal - while science has found no permanent or temporary physical, neurological or mental ill-effects from them, and many people claim the contrary - while scientifically proven dangerous substances such as alcohol, industrialized tobacco products and a number of pharmaceutical drugs are legal and sold with great benefit to the state is one of the greatest conspiracies of the 20th/21st century, and the fact that the largest so called conspiracy web site on the internet refuses to deal with it only shows the limitations of freedom of speech.

Deny ignorance? Those words means nothing unless you stop censoring information...

I'm a great advocate of certain substances criminalized by the state. Although, not in a recreative sense. There's a difference between use and abuse, and to me these drugs are simply tools to unlock certain doors to your psyche, and to what lies beyond.

Those of you who have taken the same road as me knows what I'm talking about, those of you who haven't sadly don't.

In my personal experience, alcohol is probably the most ineffective drug for spiritual growth, since it has a tendency to destroy everything it comes in contact with. It makes you aggressive, rash, disequilibriated, and it destroys the most valuable thing you have, your brain and your intellect.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to deny it's possible use as such, since I know that some shamans use alcohol in their rites. Even a blunt tool might do the job, but considering the existing alternatives for intellectual and spiritual growth, I really don't see the point.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I drink too much. I am enjoying a bottle of red now. I know my limits, but sometimes when you pass your limits the negatives considerably out way the positives.

For example, last saturday night 6/6. Was one of those times I past my limits, maybe the most in my life. I ended up being arrested and charged for 'refusing to state my name and address' and 'causing a public nuisance'

Some values I hold dear.. Why should one have to give name and address without reason.. I hold that close, but know the times we live in it is better to comply with laws than not. I knew I was drunk man.. but now at least I will learn to be drunk where it is safe. I will not again be drunk in public!

I could never imagine a life without alcohol. But it is a fine line between enjoyment&positivity and regret&negativity. like most things I suppose.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join