It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol - Positive or negative?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm asking this in the most sincere way possible. I'm not a tea-totaler and I do drink socially every now and then. I'm interested in threads where members describe their 'awakening' experience. My question is - how would alcohol affect this process? On one hand - alcohol can lower a person's natural inhibitions and allow thoughts and actions that a person might not do when they are sober.

Does alcohol improve or degrade the ability to experience any paranormal or higher-self experiences? Just wondering if anyone on the board can shed any light on this subject.

Thanks!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It's a shame alcohol is the only substance we are able to discuss here in relation to what may help such experiences.

As far as alcohol goes, though, I would say a negative in helping to experience paranormal or higher-self "awakenings" or insights.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

From my own personal experience you lose all sense of self. After a period of time without i become more and more in touch. I think it weakens your field of energy and allows for negative attack as well.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thanks for your input on my question. I do agree with you. I know that alcohol (or any such drug) will to some degree drop inhibitions but will also cloud your awareness.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Thanks for your input on my question. I do agree with you. I know that alcohol (or any such drug) will to some degree drop inhibitions but will also cloud your awareness.

Sorry for double post

[edit on 27/5/10 by AidanK]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

As far as alcohol goes, though, I would say a negative in helping to experience paranormal or higher-self "awakenings" or insights.

That's odd cos I've only ever had contact with ghosts and ufos after getting a bit drunk.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's not called "spirits" for nothing. In moderation is fine and can help you relax. This is why many religions used wine for their sacrament. But not in drunkenness.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
It's a shame alcohol is the only substance we are able to discuss here in relation to what may help such experiences.

Yeah This is such a shame that we can't talk about "other substances" on this forum. I guess it is because this website is located in USA and as we know it USA is a drug free society where no ones knows anything about illegal drugs.

Alcohol, junk food, bad life habit and unhealthy way of living are all working against you to elevate your consciousness to higher level.

Since 30% of USA citizens are obese, and have an unhealthy way of living, that explains a lot of things....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
It's not called "spirits" for nothing. In moderation is fine and can help you relax. This is why many religions used wine for their sacrament. But not in drunkenness.

I realize that total drunkeness is not the way but if someone were to drink just enough to lower inhibitions ---

Now, I'm not advocating drunkeness but just wonder if some alcohol helps or hinders paranormal experiences.

Thanks for the replies.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Alcohol impairs my ability to do things, when I have had too much. It also seems, in the past to have awakened in me some thoughts and ideas I never considered before. The jury is still out as to were the negative effects outweighing the positive effects, and vice versus.

There's also the effects concerning the source of the alcohol. Wine has always made me tired. And my legs hurt the next day. Don't know why, but that happens.

A bottle of whiskey can cause me to be a lunatic.

Beer, in copious amounts creates a wonderful loving person out of my nephew. But give him a couple of shots of whiskey, and he will probably end up in jail.

My wife? A shot or two of Jack Daniels and next thing you know she is making Marilyn Monroe look like a total douch when she sang happy birthday to JFK. My wife? wow. If she drinks a shot or two of vodka, then suddenly I am the devil and she must beat the hell out of my chest.

But, really, for enlightenment? Stay away from alcohol. Some other sort of ahem, natural substances that don't require some sort of fermentaion, well, you might find enlightenment there.
And for true enlightenment, just sit in a quiet place and listen to that which is inside of you.

It is already inside you. Just listen for it. It might be a visual thing, or a verbal thing, maybe just colors, or just an idea, or a smell, it's there. Just open yourself for that which is there, was there all along, but you forgot, or were trained to ignore.

Meanwhile, when I was a teenager, I was told the marijuana was the great gateway drug to depravity and addiction to harder drugs.

No, the alcohol in my mom's cabinet and the neighbors' cabinets was the gateway to such depravity. It was evident by the way those adults acted.
If only they had smoked a bit of the "country tobacco", like my Grandpap used to smoke, They might have been more loving and acceptable of more people of different ways and ideas.

I put alcohol right up there in my list of crap stuff, just like meth and crack.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It's a shame that alcohol is still legal.

Doesn't make sense if hundreds of thousands of people will die from it each year, yet cannabis still has never, in the complete history of man, killed a person.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I put alcohol right up there in my list of crap stuff, just like meth and crack.

Hmmm, alcohol doesn't make you paranoid after one or two drinks, so I disagree. Although long-term alcohol addiction can cause delusional behaviour, but the illegal drugs you mentioned have significant damaging effects to behaviour and therefore the brain, even in small amounts.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm going way out on a limb here. Yes, alcohol does dim your spiritual connection. I drink on purpose to avoid the strange things that happen in my life. I don't like to deal with it. I feel like I am an attractor to the paranormal and imbibe on a rather generous schedule to avoid things that go bump in the night. Better to be numb and dumb than to experience the strange and unusual. People will call me crazy for this, but I don't experience the oddities as much when I consume alcohol. Therefore, I do not care what people think of me. I don't want to hear footsteps, voices and other oddities. Give me my alcohol over the weird and wild. Damn, I can not believe I said this. This was a bourbon generated post.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Svoboda
It's a shame that alcohol is still legal.

Now don't say awful things like that. *sips a nice cold beer... mmmm*

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

They are called spirits....

edit: Hawkiye earned his name....peace

[edit on 27-5-2010 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Have you ever sat next to a graveyard and challenged the dead to appear, in your thoughts?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by john124]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It is strange to see this post at all, because I NEVER drink... I havn't drank any booze at all in years...
until tonight that is... just grabbed a 6 pack of imported beers for the first time in ages and am feeling hilarious right now.... my wife is laughing too...
As far as it helping me to experience paranormal or anything else?... nope, it makes me not care at all and makes me just glad to be alive and laughing

Alcohol definitely doesnt help discern stuff... makes me feel stupid though

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by brilab45

Have you ever sat next to a graveyard and challenged the dead to appear, in your thoughts?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by john124]

I have watched a lot of ghost reality shows and have seen enough to know to keep my mind silent

man, I am a pretty tough customer when it comes to physical confrontations, but the things that are paranormal make me think twice about challenging them....
but if I had a bunch of beers in my system and also found myself at some cemetary, I would still get the heck outa there...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I was curious about this as well. Especially how when speaking of japanese Zen masters who partake in joyous amounts of sake.

One thing I can ponder is besides the fact that it alters your images of your ego (if you have one) It may bring it to light, or it may just be something to joke about.

Alcohol does make you drowsy though. And when you awaken out of a drowsy state, a rush of new thoughts can flow through you. I'm not saying this is something consistent, and it can easily happen without alcohol or anything else for that matter.

Negative because it doesn't give you a clearer mind. After time, major parts of your memory start give way, so even if you get a great idea, you won't likely remember it.

I personally think its great for social reasons, but at the same time you can have just as much of a good time without it. There is something about feeling goofy.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Strangely, I grew up in a very small town. Less than 8000 people. At the end of my street was an unkempt graveyard. Was never scared of it. Most of the dead have been gone for more than 1 1/2 centuries. It was not taken care of. Except maybe once a year they cut the grass.

During the time they did not not cut the grass, we kids made hut area's in the thick overgrowth. Never did experience anything in the graveyard. I even used to take shortcuts to another neighborhood at night. Never bothered me.

What bothered me was the house I grew up in. built nearly 150 years ago. Very strange things happened in that house. None of my friends would stay there overnight. Ever! It was quite frightening. Much to say about the house and neighborhood.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join