It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Raining Oil In Florida? This Is Just The Beginning

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In the UK we often get showered with sand that has been sucked up during storms over the sahara desert. It is then carried north at high altitude before being deposited with rainfall.

Waterspouts in the Gulf could suck up surface oil into the sky. If it were atomized during the process it would almost certainly be able to be carried over land in suspension.

In all the Billions of dollars that have been spent by oil companies in Exploration & Production over the decades, you would think that they would have devised effective skimmer ships with oil water seperation units onboard. But hey, theres no real money in that is there??

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
This is a horrible disaster, but I'm not ready to tell the oil companies to close up shop, like Obama did.

We've been drilling for oil for dozens of years and statistically, it is has been a very safe and tightly regulated venture.

When a plane crashes and 300 people die, we don't shut down the airlines. I'm not trying to minimize the effects of this oil leak, but the over reaction of the Obama administration by ceasing all drilling is frightening.

It's time to find alternative energy sources, but that takes time to implement. In the meantime, we need to tap oil to add to our own coffers and keep prices somewhere in the reasonable range.

Problem is that there aren't much reliable energy sources for vehicle travel. yes bio fuels are alternatives, but they still don't provide the same energy density as gasoline.

Batteries for vehicles are a good thought but they simply don't have the proper capacity or charge time that is convenient in our 21st century. No one can wait to charge their car overnight.

Hydrogen vehicles is a possibility, that seems to be the best one for now, some issues regarding it are safe storage, safety mechanisms. Infrastructure to provide hydrogen fueling stations. But I belive that oil companies do not want to really pursue this because hydrogen is so abundant and everyone would be able to make their own fuel. They have a deal with car manufacturers.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's interesting, I always thought that could happen, and when I talked to my teachers about it they said that it couldn't because the water would be absorbed since oil is lighter than water. I was always like. "Ok..."

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by mellisamouse
They put up stop signs for society at every turn to keep you keeping up with the Jones's...... it is pathetic!

There are enough accidents happening on the roads for you to want no stop signs in cities...

In EVERY society where there are people, there are need for laws.

Yes some laws are bad, but still without laws there would be only chaos. You would be most probably raped, and who knows what could happen to your son if there were no laws.

Even the ancient people, native Americans, etc, had their own laws and rules, as well as morals which were imparted from generation to generation.

No law = chaos

I am amazed that you are a grown up and you don't seem to understand this.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

You've been lied to on many levels....

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Awww, ...... can I use the "I'm new card"?

I'm just herassing you sweets. All in good fun. Reminds me of Joe Dirt.
I'm new, I'm new, I don't know what to do!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Black rain will be one byproduct of this mess.

You see, the sun has this funny way of heating things up. And another funny effect from this is the way physics works, because you see, as the heat penetrates the water, it will cause the water molecules (oil included) to separate and become vapor. As this vapor rises, the water will collect at one elevation while the oil collects at another and some will stay bound to the water. The result when this water falls: BLACK RAIN.

It will get worse as the heat of the summer continues to heat the gulf. The really scary part of this is Florida is right smack between the easterly Atlantic sea breeze and the Gulf sea breeze. It's the reason for the violent thunderstorms EVERY SINGLE DAY during the summers. Not to mention, that this whole process starts over the EVERGLADES, home to more life than is imaginable and then moves (usually) east, into the highly populated coastal areas of Florida. That oil will make it's way into the water supply, it will contaminate the Everglades, it will ruin tourism, destroy the beaches, destroy the fishing business, start raging fires and turn the state into a complete dead zone. And that is JUST Florida's problems, no counting all of the other states.

This is just one very small piece of the bigger puzzle. Surrounding states should prepare themselves now.

~Namaste

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

ARE these people really that dumb. See that boat. It is mixing the oil even more into the water. These people are making a bad situation worse. IF you don't believe me about this i suggest you take some used oil put it in a blender with clean water. Before you turn it on, notice how the oil stays on top, ok. Now put the cover on and blend it. Stop, now look at the mixture and you tell me what happens. These boats going in the oil mess are just mixing it up and making a bad thing even worse. Boats should be banned from going in there. IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Where ever the oil goes, DEATH WILL FOLLOW. Plants, animals,fish. So where do you think all of this is going to go? On the beach. The stench of death and disease will loom all around those states. I wonder what BP will say and do about that when it all comes ashore. DEATH AND DISEASE. OIL RAIN. Soon people will start to flood the hospitals with breathing problems. GEE THANKS BP, for DEATH AND DISEASE.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Is it possible for oil to evaporate and then turn into rain? I don't think it can....This is a bit freaky....

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Oil does evaporate into vapors just like water. If it didn't we wouldn't be able to refine it into gas and kerosene, which also evaporate.

Even steel will evaporate at a high enough temperature like ground zero of a nuclear explosion.

[edit on 28/5/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
You forgot to finish your "blender experiment", what happens after you turn the blender off and wait a few minutes? Thats right...the oil and water begin to seperate again.

Originally posted by nite owl
reply to post by randyvs

ARE these people really that dumb. See that boat. It is mixing the oil even more into the water. These people are making a bad situation worse. IF you don't believe me about this i suggest you take some used oil put it in a blender with clean water. Before you turn it on, notice how the oil stays on top, ok. Now put the cover on and blend it. Stop, now look at the mixture and you tell me what happens. These boats going in the oil mess are just mixing it up and making a bad thing even worse. Boats should be banned from going in there. IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by princeofpeace]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The dispersants they are using will increase the chances of oil getting brought up into the atmosphere during a storm Oil and water may not mix well, but when you shake oil and vinegar together they stay blended longer. This will happen in the gulf as well, thanks to the dispersants.

Anyone got shares in the company developing bacteria to eat the oil? I can see this being needed and sprayed around communities to get rid of the oil coating everything from houses, to trees.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by mellisamouse
They put up stop signs for society at every turn to keep you keeping up with the Jones's...... it is pathetic!

There are enough accidents happening on the roads for you to want no stop signs in cities...

In EVERY society where there are people, there are need for laws.

Yes some laws are bad, but still without laws there would be only chaos. You would be most probably raped, and who knows what could happen to your son if there were no laws.

Even the ancient people, native Americans, etc, had their own laws and rules, as well as morals which were imparted from generation to generation.

No law = chaos

I am amazed that you are a grown up and you don't seem to understand this.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

Seriously?????

WOW, you SOOOO don't get it..... I wasn't saying have no rules in society at ALL....

I was talking about the ridicule attatched to every responsible action.

"looser cruiser" lable for going green and taking the bus....

"slob" lable for not wearing the latest fashions....

" geek/nerd" "too much time on my hands" for all my composting and recycling etc....

etc, etc, etc,...... geesh...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
You forgot to finish your "blender experiment", what happens after you turn the blender off and wait a few minutes? Thats right...the oil and water begin to seperate again.

So all we need is for the sea to stop moving, what an excellent and practical solution.

You heard the man BP, hop to it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The Mississippi River contributes more than 90 percent of the fresh water entering the Gulf.

The world's longest man-made beach is located on the Mississippi Gulf Coast – 26 miles long.

The Gulf of Mexico, the ninth largest body of water in the world

The Gulf is bordered by the United States to the north (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas), five Mexican states to the west (Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan), and the island of Cuba to the southeast.

Indian mounds on the campus of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge were built 450 years before the first Egyptian pyramid.

In 1703, Mardi Gras was first celebrated in the French colony of Mobile. Years later it moved to New Orleans which often gets credit for starting the pre-Lenten carnival...

This is where this data came from ....Source

www.epa.gov...

A little facts about the Gulf of mexico

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have family in Fl, so what i am thinking is that. . .maybe people should get out of Fl? do you think? I mean I know it is peoples home's. So was the rainforest before man disturbed it as well. I pray for all experianceing this vibration first hand, for i feel it's effects with the masses. bless

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
The dispersants they are using will increase the chances of oil getting brought up into the atmosphere during a storm Oil and water may not mix well, but when you shake oil and vinegar together they stay blended longer. This will happen in the gulf as well, thanks to the dispersants.

Yeah I agree, and another thing...

I'm more worried about the dispersant getting into the atmosphere than the oil.

This document states than Corexit is "water soluble" and "self-mixing".

It even states that Corexit is toxic to green algae. The Gulf's ecosystem is toast guys. No doubt about it sadly.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
With all this talk of air quality, is there nothing that can be done?
When you drive by the oil fields, you always see they have torches burning.
Does anyone know exactly what they are for?
I had always thought that they were burning the fumes that were in the air.
Certainly a huge area of oil wells would have a lot of dangerous fumes floating around, and you do not see oil workers wearing gas masks.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

With all this talk of air quality, is there nothing that can be done?
When you drive by the oil fields, you always see they have torches burning.
Does anyone know exactly what they are for?
I had always thought that they were burning the fumes that were in the air.
Certainly a huge area of oil wells would have a lot of dangerous fumes floating around, and you do not see oil workers wearing gas masks.

They are burning the natural gas that usually accompanies oil so that it isn't released into the atmosphere as a greenhouse gas and is instead, decomposed into subtler, less volatile gasses. It is very common to do with land based oil wells, and they could do the same with the Gulf leak, but they first have to contain the gas and oil, much the same as a land based well.

The best they can do right now is surface burns, and that is truly frivolous considering the amount of gas being released from the well head in the Gulf.

~Namaste

[edit on 28-5-2010 by SonOfTheLawOfOne]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gold_Bug
The fallout from this disaster is going to be Biblical!

That's exactly what it will be.
Interesting how it's prophesized (spellimg) that a certain percentage of sea, air and land creatures shall perish.
I guess we will soon find out.
BTW, notice how in some of these Gulf oil spill images, the waters do indeed look as if they are, ahem, "turning to blood".

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Alxandro]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join