It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Raining Oil In Florida? This Is Just The Beginning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

The whole world turns on petroleum,alternative energy sources,such as solar panels,wind turbines etcetera,require a lot of petroleum to manufacture.

Plus just about everything you use,a lot of your drugs,your clothes,your house,virtually everything.......

......Comes from petroleum,or petroleum is a big part of it's manufacture.

We be in a corner kinda I think.

The world worked fine once without petroleum,it was just a lot less populated than it is now,cuz natural checks and balances still applied,....

The toll of our past sins will be high,are you ready to pay up?.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Already my colleagues in Louisiana are reporting that people in the coastal community of Venice, Louisiana are suffering from nausea, vomiting, headaches, and difficulty breathing.

Great, just think of what the wildlife is suffering from?

It amazes me with all the oil wells worldwide, and that have been around of over 50+ years, that they do not have ways to stop leaks quickly.

How many times does it take to learn a lesson?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
petroleum distilates that are inhaled into the lungs .. remain trapped there, the hydro carbon molecules are too large to pass through lymphatic membranes. People who have inhaled aerosol huydrocarbons will develope chemical puemonitis and eventually COPD over time..a massive suit developing here!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I do not know what the chemistry of oil and it's ability to evaporate is though.

I can totally see how it can be caught up in the mist though as the ocean is sloshing around. So yes for coastal areas it could actually get in the air and in their lungs possibly. Simply by catching a ride on water mist particles.

Yikes!

I would like to hear some oil chemistry facts; to help me better make up my mind.

I thought I had the summer off, but class is back in session. Pay attention now - there will be a quiz.Everyone talks about oil like it was some generic, honogenous substance. It isn't. Nope, it is a mixture (as opposed to a compound) of many different substances. That is why fractional distillation works.Stuff (a technical term I really like) in oil can range from methane (CH4) with a molecular weight of 16 and a boiling point of -161 C to Octane ( CH3(CH2)6CH3) with a molecular weight of 117 and a boiling point of +125C, which is pretty hot. As can be seen from the chemical formuas of these alkanes, oil, at the molecular level, is a chain of hydrocarbons (Cs and Hs of various formulations.) Boiling point, or the temperature of the phase chnge from liquid to gas, increases as molecular weight increases. So, the light stuff like methane, ethane and propane evaporate off first, leaving the heavier stuff behind, which is why, after a while, you get tar balls of residue and asphalt on the beach. The reason is that these long hydrocarbon chains get enmeshed like a bowl of spaghetti and it takes a lot of energy to untangle the chains.
It is pretty clear that we will l not be rained on by a waterr/oil mixture. Primarily because they won't mix. Water is a pretty good solvent but oil is hydrophobic and hates water. That's why, when you spill grease (fat) from your spare ribs on your shirt, it has to be pre=treated with something before washing to get it clean. Oil and fat are chemically the same stuff pretty much - fat is solid, oil is liquid. Now you can froth up oil with a really strong wind so that you can get wind borne droplets, but as far as getting convection strong enough to condense oil vapor, I don't see that happening. To do that you're talking about turning the atmosphere into a big cracking plant. The Gulf water gets to about 85 F or 30 C in the summer. That's not hot enough to evaporate out anything heavier than Butane. As the crude evaporates you could expect to evaporate out the methane, ethane, propane, and ethane, and get some pretty stinky (another technical term) smells.
You might notice that this explanation has very few numbers. That's because I'm a qulitative kind of guy (as opposed to quantitative) and we only use numbers when we have to. That's a forensic chemistry joke, BTW.
Finally, This forum has contained fears about the oil, the methane and the Corexit dispersant but noone has brought up the dangers of the huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in the gulf. It is extremely corrosive, even to solid iron, and is fatal if inhaled. It caused more deaths last year than died in the twin towers.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The more particulated the crude becomes the easier it is to enter into the "water cycle" we all learned about in grade school. Also keep in mind NOAA has postulated this to be the worst hurricane season on record. That, with the former makes for some very bad JUJU. Crude is known to cause lung cancer in laboraty animals when inhaled and form along the similar lines to asbestos or mesothelioma...black lung. Which is why there is expediance involved on the part of Gov. Jindal, who by the way is doing a phenominal job but is handcuffed by the lack of action on the part of this current administration.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Is It Raining Oil In Florida? This Is Just The Beginning

www.sott.net

Oil is semi-volatile, which means that it can evaporate into the air and create a heavy vapor that stays near the ground -- in the human breathing zone. When winds whip up oily sea water, the spray contains tiny droplets -- basically a fume -- of oil, which are small enough to be inhaled deep into the lungs. We know that's happening in the Gulf Coast, because people are reporting a heavy oily smell in the air. Already my colleagues in Louisiana are reporting that people in the coastal community of Venice, Louisiana are suffering from nausea, vomiting, headaches, and difficulty breathing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/27/2010 by semperfortis]

Thats just downright awful. Kinda feel happy to be in Kansas right now. I'd go ahead and get some of those cheap white masks to keep the oil outta' of your lungs. I smoke so I know that tar is bad, but damn.. I can't imagine wet oil particles in them. Yucky!

Omni

Edit: missing words lolz

[edit on 28-5-2010 by InfiniteOmnipresence]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Another little tid bit...air breathing animals, humans included, transfer oxygen from the alveoli to the red blood cells and CO2 from the red blood cells to the alveoli. the crude in the alveoli acts as a dam or wall preventing this exchange. Crude is made up of many different types of hydrocarbons and inert matter. some of these molecules will still seep by through the alveoli and attach, more readily than oxygen, to the read blod cells preventing, any oxygen from attaching. So even if the crude doesn't prevent the O2/CO2 exchange the abundance of other molecular structures will at the cellular level.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

3000:1, not 300:1. Worse by an order of 10x.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by mweiss
One tiger shark actting up..they didn't know if it was oil related...still interesting that an 11-foot tiger shark comes right to the beach belly up.
www.heraldtribune.com...

No...what is killing these animals is the methane being released from the leaks. Dolphins have also appeared dead in the beach, as well as turtles, and there was no oil anywhere on them... They are dying because of the methane which they are breathing and die because of it, imo.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

no methane. methane doesn't disperse in water as a gas....it collects into gas bubbles.

what i believe is killing animals such as this is the Corexit and/or dispersant.

How many years will that stuff be in the food supply from the gulf? Will those shrimp cause my grandkids to ahve defects? Or give me cancer?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The MSM and it's slow approach to the correction of watered down info care of BP, just said," the flow of oil could've been as much as 25,000
barrels of oil since the leaks inception". As I said in another thread, we
may have to witness karma rain down on the White house. An absolutly horrible possibility that we must all share the responsibility for. The way
mankind points it's finger of blame is the reason for any cover up.

We all are responsible for this catastrophe. The sooner we learn to accept and share the blame. The sooner we may see the end of cover ups and deciept. I think that would be at least a step in the rigfht direction. We all
make use of BPs oil production. We're all to blame. Period.

I find this fact absolutly heart breaking to be honest.

May God forgive us all.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Finally, This forum has contained fears about the oil, the methane and the Corexit dispersant but noone has brought up the dangers of the huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in the gulf. It is extremely corrosive, even to solid iron, and is fatal if inhaled. It caused more deaths last year than died in the twin towers.

Oh yeah....

That dihydrogen monoxide is the real issue to deal with. You know, I heard that our bodies have become so dependent upon dihydrogen monoxide that if we don't receive it, we could die!?! What is this world coming to?!

;-)

--J

[edit on 5/28/2010 by JamesTheScribe]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Interesting thing is.. 92 million gallons have leaked according to officials whilst in the first gulf war 550m gallons were burnt.

Why so much damage with a pretty standard amount of oil when compared to other oil disasters.. or are they lying and the oil is 2x bigger than that?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Another thing. The look on Obamas face says far more than what is coming out of his mouth. That which he isn't saying is written all over his face. They are simply waiting for it to stop. Praying it will stop. They can't do anything about it. It has to stop on it's own. That may not happen until it's to late. A threshold that is rapidly approaching.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
That Gulf Spill problem (if you can call it a spill) is going to get whipped up into the hurricanes which are about to start and then get spat out around the areas usually affected... there will be a lot of sick people about!! Add all the Earthquakes & Volcano Ash clouds which have already happened this year with more to come.... its gonna be funked...

Also a possible War starting in Korea which could trigger a 3rd World War....

It's all doom and gloom at the moment.... i think we need the Aliens to land....

PS I've just posted a thread about the hurricane season on its way which has links to a skynews report so check it out if interested.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Want to get a good giggle? Go look at Doc Velocity's avatar, that'll take some gloom away

Also read his newest thread, he has quite a story to tell

Randyvs and members..........This is the title of Doc's thread.
Thinking About Giving Up Cigarettes? Doc Velocity Just Had a Stroke...

[edit on 28-5-2010 by sweetliberty]

[edit on 28-5-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I live in FL and everyone is talking about the spill. Have not seen it rain oil but if it does people would really wake up. Hope it drenches the face of politions and mabey they will awake as well.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Also read his newest thread, he has quite a story to tell

No thread title or link. Cmon!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This whole situation is just insane.
Another storm soup is overflowing with maddness and nothing is really being done about it.

I feel for everyone living in the disaster area.

So many questions and too many lies being fed to us about the situation.

Talk about population control.

I live on the West Coast and I'm wondering "if" and "when" the oil will make it to our area next?

Also wondering about the Hopi Prophecy...

"This is the Seventh Sign: You will hear of the sea turning black, and many living things dying because of it."

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

The hopi? They havn't got anything on Revelations where it's described as the blood of a dead man.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
this is just stupid. The spill is bad and ramifications are still unkown... but this is one person reporting they got oil on their car. There have been no other reports. If this was true reports would have flooded in. Chances are another car blew a hose and sprayed her vehicle with some type of fluid as she drove by. Major hysteria.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join