It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associated Press: US Predicts Up To 7 Major Hurricanes This Season (bad news for oil spill fears)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

from the video:

the governments new atlantic hurricane season forcast predicts between 8 and 14 hurricanes with up to 7 reaching category 3 or stronger status

Jane Lubchenco (NOAA administrator) :

if this outlook holds true, we're facing a season that could reign among the more active on record.

well, the oil spill in the gulf is still leaking as of now 5/27/10

and of course they could leave the oil as it is, an organic material whose toxicity levels are not alarmingly high and clumps up together in masses as it rises to the surface where it can be seen and adequately burnt or gathered to be picked up and cleaned... but instead they are added dispersants which are extremely toxic, break down the oil into it's separate components which are much more toxic than it's original form and also allow it to break up in the sea making it impossible to see in some cases, harder to see in the rest and in all cases impossible to clump together and clean

unfortunately for those that think this is the worst case scenario, another possible scenario looms...

Hurricane Season.

i'm not saying imagine a category 4 or anything, and i'm also not trying to create a stir of fear here, but the reality is the waters around the gulf are very warm this season, florida is experiencing a record heat this spring, prime water conditions for hurricanes. all it would take is a hurricane, or in my opinion a strong tropical storm, think about it...

here we have broken down oil and toxic dispersants, a hurricane at almost any level could easily form the catalyst needed to spread these chemicals inland, washing them further into the marshes, shores, homes and wildlife than the chemicals would have gotten. Also, we have reports that the chemical dispersants can cause resperatory problems, i can imagine hurricane force winds would have no problem spreading these airborn chemicals into the surounding states air

[edit on 5/27/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
apologies if already posted, there are alot of threads out currently covering different angles of the oil mess, as well as each thread continueing many pages of information and videos etc, so i hope it's understood if this has already been posted, the date of the video's add, i beleive, was today

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
At the rate these disasters keep hitting us ... I don't doubt it.

Things are becoming strange, and I can't even begin to imagine the parameters.

I'm wondering if I HAVEN'T been as awake and attentive as I thought I was, or if disaster events really ARE becoming more clustered and frequent.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Look-I know things are looking pretty gloomy down that way but the one thing you can almost bet your bottom dollar on is:

They will be proven wrong-Again. Within 20 years-at the rate these wackos in that agency are going-they'll be predicting 20 freaking Major one and 30 Small ones for the season.

But, this was just in: anon72 says there will be 2 this season. One major one-that will head straight for LA-but with a God driven wind, it will be turned sharply eastward out into the ocean doing nothing. etc.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I live in New Orleans and every year they always predict several major storms. many times this falls short, or there are storms but not anywhere near us on the Gulf Coast.

No need to panic just yet.. but if one develops over this oil mess and comes our way...

( I'm sure I don't have to finish that statement.)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hey. Dr. Hansimians forecast was 6-8!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

i feel you, i was there for ivan and onward till now, so i know what you mean, the gulf coast has seen it's share and generally speaking if hurricanes from the atlantic don't run up the eastern side of the US, they tend to head through the gulf, so it's in the best bet of anyone predicting hurricanes for the region to predict quite a few, as they are common

but this spring has been HOT, not sure about the weather you've been feeling in LA, but further east it's record heat for spring, come summer it should intensify, further increasing the hurricane sustaining warm waters of the gulf

not sure how a mass of oil will interact with a hurricane, as far as strengthening or weakening, mostly because as far as i know a hurricane has never passed over such a large mass of oil for that theory to be tested, but i could imagine if a hurricane could travel over the cuban islands and still maintain itself to hit the gulf land at around a category 2 or 3 or higher, which many hurricanes do, then passing over some oil probably wouldn't slow it down, though it might interfere with the rate of evaporation and or some of the mechanics involved in keeping a hurricane system together, but like i said, hurricanes pass over land all the time, though it weakens them, they don't just stop dead in their tracks, they strengthen back up at every chance

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

1979 one of the largest oil spills in history happend in the Gulf of Mexico and during hurricane season and YES there were 4 storms in that area...

These storms did touch land and there was not any "oil rain"...the 1979 spill and the one of 2010 are VERY similar even the tactics to try and stop the spill

The Hurricances that were over ther oil filled waters were not very strong, so from this Happening before, i don't think the oil will have much effect on the hurricanes

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Goradd]

top topics

join