It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“COREXIT” Dispersants “ALERT”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
MolecularPhD, yes this topic should be at the top, more people need to spread the word about Corexit.

Remember a week or 2 ago, when stories surfaced about the Gov. demanding BP stop using Corexit? And BP refused?

Yesterday our President claims the Gov. has been in charge from DAY ONE?

Which is it??? If they were in charge BP would have stopped using it.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

Basicly these chemicals are hyper concentrated dish washing detergents. You would probably have to use about a 1,000 times more Dawn Dish washing detergent to do the same job. Its all about the surfactants! But dishwashing detergent has more chemicals in it than would be needed to do this job. When we wash our dishes we as consumers want the Bubbles. Well they are not needed. But we want them so they put them in so we can think we are getting more "Scrubing Bubbles".

Typicaly Car washing fluids and laundry detergents dont have the bubbles. But they still work. Why? Because of the surfactants.

The dishwashing detergents might just be worse....But the bubbles would be fun for the boats and the news footage would be hilarious!

en.wikipedia.org...

Surfactants are in Laundry Detergent, Dishwashing detergent, and numerous industrial and intitutional applications. Surfactants coupled with Soaponifcation is what gets our stuff clean!

For the record Bleach doesnt clean anything. It sanitizes and hides stains. The stain is still there its just bleached. Bleach is bad stuff really. If you find a lot of lint in your dryer it's probably because the heat of your dryer mixed with the residual bleach actually destroys the fabric. Personally I dont use bleach in our laundry. I use whitening detergents instead.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by William Marshal]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If you believe that the chemical Sulfanilic acid which is one of the main ingredients in Corexit is nothing to fear. then you are right. Go about your daily lives without a care in the world but, I assure you that this is not something you want to take a bath in. The men and women that are cleaning up this mess in the Gulf have not a clue of the dangers that await them 5, 10, or 20 years down the road that is if they live that long. BP is not letting the clean up workers wear respirators this is a direct violation of OSHA worker standards, and they should be held liable for any health damages done to anyone living on the cost monetarily and criminally.

The amount of this one chemical being sprayed and injected into the Aquatic Life cycle in the Gulf is staggering to me as a scientist; this will kill many thousands of species of organic life in the Gulf. Any chemist that understands what these chemical dispersant do would tell you this travesty of justice and decency is far from being over. They are not cleaning up this spill they are making the problem a thousand fold worse then what it is. When the long chain hydrocarbons are broken up by the chemical dispersant and becomes short chain hydrocarbons; the oil will dissipate into the water which then will be filtered into the future food chain in the Gulf; on top of all that you have many concerns with these chemicals causing long term nervous system problems for anyone that comes into contact with these chemicals. If you think this is not a threat to all life in the Gulf then I say to you that you do not know chemistry or biology.

This direct attack on humanity by BP needs to be stopped before it is too late ; the sad thing is it may already be too late.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

[edit on 28-5-2010 by MolecularPhD]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

Ok what the heck does all that have to do with the price of tea in china?

If your a true molecular PHD and have any idea what MSDS's are then you know that any chemical can be twisted and made to seem hazardous.

Dihydrogen monoxide!!!!

www.dhmo.org...

Penn And tellervideo....Fun one!

www.youtube.com...

MSDS: Dihydrogen Monoxide
Dihydrogen monoxide (also known as hydric acid) is responsible for injury, death, and property damage all over the world. Visit the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division online at www.dhmo.org, or send email to [email protected] for more information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET FOR DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRODUCT NAME: DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE
FORMULA WT: 18.00
CAS NO.: 07732-18-5
NIOSH/RTECS NO.: ZC0110000
COMMON SYNONYMS: DIHYDROGEN OXIDE, HYDRIC ACID
PRODUCT CODES: 4218,4219
EFFECTIVE: 05/30/86
REVISION #01

LABORATORY PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

SAFETY GLASSES; LAB COAT

PRECAUTIONARY LABEL STATEMENTS

STORAGE: KEEP IN TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER.

BOILING POINT: 100 C ( 212 F) VAPOR PRESSURE(MM HG): 17.5

MELTING POINT: 0 C ( 32 F) VAPOR DENSITY(AIR=1): N/A

SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.00 EVAPORATION RATE: N/A

SOLUBILITY(H2O): COMPLETE (IN ALL PROPORTIONS) % VOLATILES BY VOLUME: 100

APPEARANCE & ODOR: ODORLESS, CLEAR COLORLESS LIQUID.

TOXICITY: LD50 (IPR-MOUSE)(G/KG) - 190
LD50 (IV-MOUSE) (MG/KG) - 25

DISPOSAL PROCEDURE
DISPOSE IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL
ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS.

SAF-T-DATA(TM) STORAGE COLOR CODE: ORANGE (GENERAL STORAGE)

SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS
KEEP CONTAINER TIGHTLY CLOSED. SUITABLE FOR ANY GENERAL CHEMICAL STORAGE
AREA. DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE IS CONSIDERED A NON-REGULATED PRODUCT, BUT
REACTS VIGOROUSLY WITH SOME MATERIALS. THESE INCLUDE SODIUM, POTASSIUM
AND OTHER ALKALI METALS; ELEMENTAL FLUORINE; AND STRONG DEHYDRATING AGENTS
SUCH AS SULFURIC ACID. IT FORMS EXPLOSIVE GASES WITH CALCIUM CARBIDE.
AVOID CONTACT WITH ALL MATERIALS UNTIL INVESTIGATION SHOWS SUBSTANCE IS
COMPATIBLE. EXPANDS SIGNIFICANTLY UPON FREEZING. DO NOT STORE IN RIGID
CONTAINER AND PROTECT FROM FREEZING.

DOMESTIC (D.O.T.)

PROPER SHIPPING NAME CHEMICALS, N.O.S. (NON-REGULATED)

INTERNATIONAL (I.M.O.)

PROPER SHIPPING NAME CHEMICALS, N.O.S. (NON-REGULATED)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by William Marshal

Surfactants (such as the most common one, Sodium Laurel Sulfate) are pretty much harmless, and they are excellent at dispersing oils. They break down the intermolecular attraction and they "surround" the molecules to flush them away.

Corexit is much more than Sodium Laurel Sulfate. I am sure it has solvents rather than just surfactants. Solvents are much more harsh and damaging. The actual chemical make-up is not being disclosed so it is just speculation.

However, I did find Nalco's site and their description makes it sound all warm and fuzzy! I hope they are correct in their description:

COREXIT® Technology
Prompt deployment of Nalco COREXIT® oil spill dispersants is one very effective and proven method of minimizing the impact of a spill on the environment. When the COREXIT dispersants are deployed on the spilled oil, the oil is broken up into tiny bio-degradable droplets that immediately sink below the surface where they continue to disperse and bio-degrade. This quickly removes the spilled oil from surface drift…reducing direct exposure to birds, fish and sea animals in the spill environment. By keeping the oil from adhering to wildlife COREXIT dispersants effectively protect the environment.

Nalco also offers a COREXIT technology designed for shoreline protection and cleaning. It has been specifically designed to remove a wide range of crude oil and petroleum products from contaminated shoreline surfaces, including certain vegetation. Major test programs at both Louisiana State University and the University of Miami clearly showed that COREXIT EC9580A can save mangroves and marsh grass if applied early after oiling.

www.nalco.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

More from their site. Of course they want to push their product, but they also want to protect their image and be remembered as some of the Good Guys in this horrible incident. They don't want to be lumped in with BP or the GOvernment. Therefore, I tend to believe what is on their site and press releases.

Also, the oil has not spread as far or as quickly as anybody predicted. Maybe this stuff is the reason. If it is breaking it down and sinking it to the sea floor, then it may be protecting those sensitive marshes? The whole situation stinks, but I can't demonize the Corexit just yet. It sounds like pretty good stuff.

Biodegradation
• A March, 1994, report created by France’s Institut National de L’Enviroenment Industriel et des Risques indicated that COREXIT 9500 largely biodegraded in 28 days. COREXIT oil dispersant was first applied to the Gulf oil slick on April 23.
Bioaccumulation

“Over the past few days, there has been substantial misunderstanding about the nature and composition of our product,” said Erik Fyrwald, President and CEO of Nalco. “COREXIT has played a significant role in mitigating the disastrous consequences of the Gulf oil spill and has done so effectively and safely.

Concentration
• At 840,000 gallons, the amount of dispersant in the region of the 3,850 square-mile slick represents an average concentration of about 30 parts per billion to the 10 meters of depth the dispersant will go – even without factoring in that a substantial portion of the product has already biodegraded.

• By comparison, the EPA allows drinking water to contain non-biodegradable contaminants -- including carcinogens and reproductive toxins -- that exceed the level of biodegradable chemicals present in COREXIT in the Gulf.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Actually the main chemicals are listed for this product on the MSDS; what the proprietary chemicals are we will never know; unless the Government demands they make it public. Anyone that would like a copy of the complete MSDS on all of the Corexit chemicals being used in the Gulf e-mail: [email protected]

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hey just for the record I dont know the first thing about the company or the actual dispersant corexit. It might not be the best one to use. Maybe there are others better suited. not sure.

But I know hype when I see it.

How many parts per million will this end up becoming? Whats it's life cycle? How long before it degrades?

Is this better than letting crude wash ashore?

from day one..........Hell how about from day -1,000. All of this should have been planed before hand. I think there was a plan but typical gov. didnt have anything actually accomplished. And more and more we are turning over our lives to these yahoos.

Or maybe it's too late!!!!!!! Everyone run screaming to the hills. We will all be zombies in the morning. O.K, I'm a zombie every morning. But chemicals help me recover.....Hello Starbucks!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

This is fine and All, But lets not let facts get in the way of a good panic!

nice information on the Parts per BILLION!!!!

We need the terror now that terrorism doesnt actually exist. Tounge firmly planted in cheek!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

How many parts per million will this end up becoming? Whats it's life cycle? How long before it degrade?

[Edit] to add: I see you responded at the same time as me. Nio problem, I am off to research the ingredients now. [end edit]

Listed on their website that I linked to. Approximately 30 ppb in the top 10m of the Gulf Water (lower than drinking water standards in the US). Lifecycle of 28 days. 100% Biodegradeable.

Sounds like pretty good stuff. Its primary intention is to break the surface tension of the oil, break it into smaller particles and sink it to the bottom of the ocean so that it doesn't move along the water's surface to the marshes and beaches, and it doesn't impact the mammals and birds at the surface. All sounds pretty good to me.

I am going back to the MSDS now to research the main ingredients, but so far I am a fan of this stuff. Thanks MolecularPhd for pointing me back to the MSDS.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

This is not about trying to cause a panic or Hype the situation as you called it; I wrote this thread as it is my duty as a human being and a scientist to warn the public. I took an oath to the people of the world and I intend to keep that oath. You can either heed the information or not but, at least you had a chance to see the information would you not agree?

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Actually becoming more and more of a fan of Corexit the more I read. Here are some quotes from the MSDS showing that it isn't considered harmful.

From the MSDS:

PRODUCT IS NOT REGULATED DURING TRANSPORTATION For Packages Greater Than 119 Gallons: Proper Shipping Name : COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID, N.O.S. Technical Name(s) : PETROLEUM DISTILLATES UN/ID No : NA 1993 Hazard Class - Primary : COMBUSTIBLE
Safe to transport. No special warnings.

None of the substances are specifically listed in the regulation. CLEAN AIR ACT, Sec. 111 (40 CFR 60, Volatile Organic Compounds), Sec. 112 (40 CFR 61, Hazardous Air Pollutants), Sec. 602 (40 CFR 82, Class I and II Ozone Depleting Substances) : None of the substances are specifically listed in the regulation.
No specifically harmful ingredients listed. Just typical classes of compounds.

OTHER INFORMATION Due to our commitment to Product Stewardship, we have evaluated the human and environmental hazards and exposures of this product. Based on our recommended use of this product, we have characterized the product's general risk. This information should provide assistance for your own risk management practices. We have evaluated our product's risk as follows: * The human risk is: Low * The environmental risk is: Low Any use inconsistent with our recommendations may affect the risk characterization.
Low Human Risk, Low environmental risk.

INHALATION : Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract. SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE : Acute : A review of available data does not identify any symptoms from exposure not previously mentioned. Chronic : Frequent or prolonged contact with product may defat and dry the skin, leading to discomfort and dermatitis. AGGRAVATION OF EXISTING CONDITIONS : Skin contact may aggravate an existing dermatitis condition
Takes repeated or prolonged exposure to get acute symptoms. Even then the main symptoms are only aggravation of existing dermatitis or breathing problems. There was no dangers listed for ingestion other than the danger of aspirating it back into the lungs.

4. FIRST AID MEASURES EYE CONTACT : Immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. SKIN CONTACT : Immediately wash with plenty of soap and water. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. INGESTION : Do not induce vomiting: contains petroleum distillates and/or aromatic solvents. If conscious, washout mouth and give water to drink. Get medical attention. INHALATION : Remove to fresh air, treat symptomatically. Get medical attention. NOTE TO PHYSICIAN : Based on the individual reactions of the patient, the physician's judgement should be used to control symptoms and clinical condition.

Treat by flushing with water, drinking water, and treating symptoms. No vomiting, no stomach pumping, not too many warnings. It even says for the physician to use their own judgement as to how much treatment of the symptoms should be given. Sounds less harmful than just about anything in my kitchen/bath/or garage.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MolecularPhD
reply to post by curioustype

This chemical will cause the entire region of the Gulf Coast to be toxic for many years to come. And the first brush fire that gets lite with this chemical in it the smoke cloud that follows will kill everything in its path. I can not believe the EPA is this stupid but, there you are.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

Do not confuse the MSDS for the bulk material with what will be present in the environment.
It is a water soluble organic and will be diluted to the point of non-detection in short order. It will not ignite because it is in water. The compounds, when diluted by the gulf, will be readily biodegradable by microorganisms. It will not make the gulf toxic for many years; microbes will be eating this stuff quickly.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Oath? Scientist take an Oath? I honestly didnt know that.

Hey brother if you believe something to be true...then as a human being you should shout it from the roof tops. Loud and with conviction. It is this reason I have no issues with Jehova's witnesses who come to my door. Hell man they believe it and are just trying to save me. Just doesnt mean I'm gonna buy it, or agree.

I'm with you in the ideal of transparrency and openess. If this stuff has a danger then we should know. If there is something better we should know. If this will kill a million fish we should know. But if killing a million fish protects millions of people. Well then....I vote for the people.

This is ugly no matter how you slice it.

Check out chuck

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Hope you don't think I'm trying to be a shill or a thread-killer. I was happy to see your thread, and I was under the same impression as you. I am not sure that Corexit is the only thing they are spraying either. They maybe using other more harmful stuff.

I am happily surprised from what I have discovered so far in reading about this stuff though. I am a Chemist as well, and I have been harping about the lasting effects of this whole fiasco. Even my first post in this thread was scathing towards the Coast Guard and BP, but my tune is starting to change a little on this specific dispersant.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Nicely done brother,

I starred your post. Thank you for the research.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

We are allowing this to happen because Americans are lazy, pathetic, apathetic, slow, selfish, self-indulgent, weak, and only complain when something happens directly to them. Everyone is so caught up in their own "Truman Show," to give a crap about what happens in someone else's.

Therefore, we will literally have to see people melting before our very eyes from the toxicity of the oil slick before anyone will collectively take action. And even then, there's no guarantee that anyone will enact until it encroaches on them and THEIR families.

You saw what happened in Hurricane Katrina...well, this is merely a re-visitation of that scenario. No one cares about their environment, their neighbor, or humanity in general. As long as they have television and their favorite reality show, they can quietly forget that the "THE WORLD IS BURNING BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES."

[edit on 28-5-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

And now we know this happened 31 years ago
Under Uncannily the same cir-circumstances. >> fulldisklosure.org...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Ahhh........Ahhhh.....Hmmm. Not sure where to go with this. Evil people who want the destruction.....No wait evil Americans...Ya Americans thats it Who want to ruin the environment. Thats your take?

BRB going to get a mirror.....la dee dah doo dee dah......Ok I'm back. Yup well your right I see the evil...Staring back at me. Wow how could I have missed it. I'm searching my soul as we speak and WOW! what a revelation. I dont give a rats arse about my 4 kids as well. Oh and the rest of the world can go screw itself! Ya, I'm now one with my hate....

I have become DARTH William Marshal.

GET REAL!

I think I may be done with this thread....Bellview just let out for the summer.

very respectfuly

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Nothing more to see here people...
move along.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join