It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prominent Oil Industry Insider: "Theres Another Leak, Much Bigger, 5 to 6 Miles Away"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This pic is from sktruth from about 2 weeks ago. see the second leak? this is further than 6 miles, but many of us think it shows there might be a 'systemic' problem with the entire gulf. perhaps deephorizon is actually about pressure problems, not all this mechanical and human failures. The Earth is changing from the inside out. this could all be connected to the quakes and volcanos and seafloor shifting. if this is the case, we...are... in...a...lot...of...trouble. like biblical trouble.

[img]http://[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b8372c9ff9c.jpg[/img]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hi. I'm new here, for posting at least, but decided it was time to raise some questions I had.

Has anyone seen video or pictures of the newly shown blow off preventer when it has not been shooting out brown "mud"? Is it possible that the leaks we have been seeing on TV and the net have been staged? Is the material flowing from these pipes and equipment really oil, or something that is being pumped through them to look like oil?

I mean, if we feel BP and the government is supplying us with dis-info, we might as well go all the way.

If there is a larger leak miles away, could what we are being shown be a cover up for a much larger disaster? Or are we sure what we are being shown is the real thing?

I wonder...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

Originally posted by drats
I am just waiting for the whole Gulf to implode.. I mean they have never had a leak like this
[edit on 27-5-2010 by drats]

Really their has never been a leak like that eh?

Someone didn't do there research, the second largest oil spill EVER was in the gulf in 1979-1980, the Horizon isn't even in the top ten.

Ixtoc I oil well: 454,000 Tons
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1351cd630acf.jpg[/atsimg]

The Ixtoc I oil well exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in June 1979. The oil drilling platform then caught fire and collapsed, rupturing valves and making it difficult for rescue personnel to control the damage. The spill continued until March 1980.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by Alaskan Man]

With all due respect my friend.. that well was at 150 ft.. this is 5000 ft.. and the difference in pressure is what is causing much of the problem.. that and it is also possible that this is gushing 300 times more gas then oil.. and gas also adds to pressure.. I wish it was the same thing.. but no.. this is not an easy fix.. imagine 300 times the amount of oil being released.. not for slick purposes.. but that pressure... and the fact that this is a mile below ocean and the added pressure and weight of the ocean..what if we pushed it past the envelope.. I hope not. but we should consider it is a possibility.. what if it collapses and we have a huge tsunami and methane gas cloud take out all the cities and islands in the gulf.. not the same animal at all.. it is like having a problem in space.. not same thing

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
There's something about the problems they've been facing about this specific field/environment (depth, gas/oil ratio/pressure, water depth/pressure, ROV reliance) that does make me wonder whether they have encountered a rather more volatile situation than they understood it to be and were therefore prepared for technically and in terms of being able to re-seal/manage the well-head(s?).

I do wonder whether they could well have thouhgt shaft #1 was closed, but the technology failed, then failed again at site#2...underestimating the forces at work?

What I find really ironic and funny about this whole situation is that environmentalist policies have pushed oil rigs out to these depths, but if this blown rig had been closer to shore--in shallower water--they would have been able to quickly cap it before it ever got so monstrous. Unintended consequences!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by drats
I am just waiting for the whole Gulf to implode.. I mean they have never had a leak like this
[edit on 27-5-2010 by drats]

Someone didn't do there research, the second largest oil spill EVER was in the gulf in 1979-1980, the Horizon isn't even in the top ten.

The Ixtoc I oil well exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in June 1979. The oil drilling platform then caught fire and collapsed, rupturing valves and making it difficult for rescue personnel to control the damage. The spill continued until March 1980.

Its tough to be smug about the relative size of this spill until it actually gets stopped and until there is a semi accurate measurement of hydrocarbon released while the event is active.

All signs right now point to BP releasing incomplete and contradictory video and data about what is currently happening. Multiple sources are also reporting spontaneous eruptions from the seafloor so the jury is obviously still out.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by candide

"That is true power" yeah caused by fear...

The fear that only BP can solve this problem...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I just watched an al jazeera explanation of the oil rig that went down and it was quite helpful to me to understand the three plumes that I had been watching all day. If anyone here is not prejudiced about Al Jazeera in English they could bring that video here to show. I do not know how to do it. But it was very helpful as it showed a diagram of the rig, the way that it went down, the long tubing that is broken into pieces, illustrating the plumes that are leaking. They also showed and demonstrated the three potential ways to stop the leak. It was most instructive and helpful, more than anything seen so far.

It is narrated by a woman. This is at Youtube under BP oil spill. Until someone shows evidence of another leak it appears to be implausible. Why would there be a leak in another area when this is the area and the rig that went down? It just proves old Ben Franklin's statement, It takes only a small leak to bring a ship down. Just what we really need right now, huh?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.
This pic is from sktruth from about 2 weeks ago. see the second leak? this is further than 6 miles, but many of us think it shows there might be a 'systemic' problem with the entire gulf. perhaps deephorizon is actually about pressure problems, not all this mechanical and human failures. The Earth is changing from the inside out. this could all be connected to the quakes and volcanos and seafloor shifting. if this is the case, we...are... in...a...lot...of...trouble. like biblical trouble.

[img]http://[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b8372c9ff9c.jpg[/img]

Yeah i agree, i've been saying all the EarthQuakes this year should be leading to something bad... This is it? What lead to the Failed Oil Rig in the First place do we even know??

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiteraryOneTwo
reply to post by tooo many pills

I just watched an al jazeera explanation of the oil rig that went down and it was quite helpful to me to understand the three plumes that I had been watching all day. If anyone here is not prejudiced about Al Jazeera in English they could bring that video here to show. I do not know how to do it. But it was very helpful as it showed a diagram of the rig, the way that it went down, the long tubing that is broken into pieces, illustrating the plumes that are leaking. They also showed and demonstrated the three potential ways to stop the leak. It was most instructive and helpful, more than anything seen so far.

It is narrated by a woman. This is at Youtube under BP oil spill. Until someone shows evidence of another leak it appears to be implausible. Why would there be a leak in another area when this is the area and the rig that went down? It just proves old Ben Franklin's statement, It takes only a small leak to bring a ship down. Just what we really need right now, huh?

Because it's been stated that there was a Primary site 6 miles away that was supposed to be a place for the Rig, but the sea bed was too brittle or something, so they relocated the Rig to it's last position, the Deep Horizon's last position. I don't know just going by the facts people are stating, mainly that the size of the affected area are disproportionate to the leak shown in the camera videos...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
eh, i already made by point, post removed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
double post.

removed.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The video of this discussionn regarding a much larger leak was posted on the 26th.

I am guessing that this is why they then switched to the main leak on the live cam. For days we seen the single pipe with the small flow coming out of it. In the last couple of days they switched to the pics of the much larger flow. I'm am guessing this is the leak Simmons was talking about. He may well be the reason they switched the feed.

I would hope we are just getting confused over news/timing here and we are actually seeing the main leak now.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
reply to post by candide

"That is true power" yeah caused by fear...

The fear that only BP can solve this problem...

I am saying that it is 'true power' to show that the political leader of the most powerful country in the world is your b1tch in front of his people.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I've been lurking around on ATS for the last 3 years or so, and I hardly ever make a post. I had to sign in just so I could respond to your claim. Don't take this as being hostile; I simply wanted to correct you.

The Ixtoc I disaster was definitely one of the worst oil spills of all time. But to say that it's as bad as the current crisis suggests that you're either unaware of just how big of a deal the situation in the Gulf is, or--for whatever reason--you're ignoring important information that would otherwise contradict your attempts at downplaying this.

The BP oil leak is now widely considered to be the worst in U.S. history:

The U.S. Geological Survey said three teams of scientists concluded that between 504,000 and 798,000 gallons a day had been billowing out of the mud a mile beneath the sea. Initial estimates were 210,000 gallons spilling per day. That means 18 million to 30 million gallons have spoiled the Gulf of Mexico since the Deepwater Horizon blew up April 20, dwarfing the previous largest spill, from the tanker Exxon Valdez in 1989.

Source: USA Today

Some quick math:

1 barrel of oil is made up of about 42 gallons. There are a little over 7 barrels of petroleum in a metric ton (it varies a bit depending on the grade). That means that 294 gallons of crude is equal to one ton. Scientists say that 18 to 30 million gallons of oil have leaked into the Gulf. We'll be conservative and stick with the lowest number. 18 million divided by 294 equals 61,224.

So that means that 61,224 tons of oil has already leaked into our ocean. And again, that's according to the most conservative estimates.

Granted, the Ixtoc I spewed out 454,000 tons, but that took place over an 8 month period. The BP leak has been going on since April 20th. We'll say a month.

At the rate it's going, it would take about 6 months for the Deepwater Horizon disaster to catch up. Again, this is going by the most conservative estimates.

I don't know about you, but to me that puts our current situation right up there with the Ixtoc I. Do you think they'll stop this thing before it gets to that point? I have no idea. But I do know that--as evidenced in some threads right here on ATS--new plumes have been discovered leaking just as much, if not more, than what's coming out from the Deepwater Horizon site.

But when it comes to whether or not this is the worst oil spill ever, don't take my math, my reasoning, or for that matter my word for it. As you were so quick to suggest to other posters, do some research. Looks like somebody obviously didn't:

ABC News
Yahoo News
Fox News
MSNBC
NPR
The Guardian

[edit on 28-5-2010 by nick112]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The Ixtoc I disaster was definitely one of the worst oil spills in our nation's history.

Ixtoc I was a Mexican government-owned oil company Pemex well off Campeche, Mexico.
It was not a US well???????

Are you from Mexico.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by ANNED]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
Now I understand why we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan! Our oil is so hard to get out of the ground and maintain control of that it was just easier to take over half the Middle East instead. Sorry W. Sorry aquatic life!

If you look at the bright side, the area along the coast where the oil slick now resides is the mouth of the Mississippi River and is already one of the biggest ocean dead zones on Earth. So, if this had to happen at least it is in a good spot?

Every major oil concession in Iraq has gone to non-U.S. companies, so the U.S. will be buying it from abroad anyway. And Afghanistan has no oil.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

The Ixtoc I disaster was definitely one of the worst oil spills in our nation's history.

Ixtoc I was a Mexican government-owned oil company Pemex well off Campeche, Mexico.

Are you from Mexico.

No, I'm a Michigan native, haha.

I probably should have worded that part of my post better. Saying that the Ixtoc I was one of the worst spills to hit the U.S. made it sound like I was referring to it as a spill that was caused by an American company inside of our nation's border. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

I was trying to imply that it was one of the worst oil spills our nation has experienced, not one that we were directly involved with. It's fixed now, thanks for the heads up

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nick112

Originally posted by ANNED

Are you from Mexico.

No, I'm a Michigan native, haha.

I probably should have worded that part of my post better. Saying that the Ixtoc I was one of the worst spills to hit the U.S. made it sound like I was referring to it as a spill that was caused by an American company inside of our nation's border. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

I was trying to imply that it was one of the worst oil spills our nation has experienced, not one that we were directly involved with. It's fixed now, thanks for the heads up

Alaskan Man, ANNED, how many accounts do you have here on ATS? I can't keep up with one...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by drats

Wow!,a slump of the sea floor from pressure release on an uncontrolled well causing a tsunami which would wash the oil directly onto land would definitely effect property values down here,eh?.

I always chuckle about people who base the present on an uncertain or even non-existent future.

If more realized that all there is,is NOW,and tomorrow isn't guaranteed,things might be worse than they are.

Cuz if people actually acknowledged the fact they may be dead tomorrow,why would they care about anything today,I am beginning to develop a completely new view on the world based on this line of thought.

Now I am truly shaken.

Scary........

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
One comment indicates that the BP has applied a "dispersion liquid" that has actually caused a lot of the oil to sink out of sight thus hiding some of the problem. I guess I don't understand why they haven't, at the very least, put funnels at the output(s) of the oil and suck up the majority of the oil, separate it at the top with a centrifuge and simply collect 50+ percent of the oil and mitigate the damage that way. This would buy them time. The video also indicates that some venting of oil may not be tied to drilling at all and may be a natural fissure perhaps a byproduct of the installation that finally ruptured. I'm guess this was a triggered disaster for all the usual reasons but is actually out of control.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join