It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

giant fireball over Southern Ontario

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Mysterious object spotted above Wat. Region
Updated Wed. May. 26 2010 8:28 PM ET

Curious Waterloo Region residents are asking questions after a fireball was spotted in the skies on Tuesday night. Michelle Tremblay-Emary and Kim Schultz captured the sight on video and say it lasted only a minute or two. "It was just huge at first and then it got smaller and it just went so slow," says Tremblay-Emary. Surprisingly, no one seems to know what it might have been. Astronomers at the University of Waterloo and the University of Western Ontario are not aware of any meteors.

I can't find anything else on this.....the Mother who brought up a good point says it must have landed somewhere...but no university or research centers claimed to see any meteors coming in that day.

CTV Video

Another Source

U of Western Ontario Here NOTHING was reported and it flew right over their heads.
This Website has some great information if you have time to go through. ( may take 20 mins, or longer, if your interested)

What is a Fireball?

A fireball is a bright (typically brighter than the planet Venus) meteor. The fireball phenomenon indicates passage of either a fast or large (or both) meteoroid through the atmosphere. Typically velocities and masses needed to produce fireballs are 100g at 20 km/s or 1 g at 60 km/s. Fireballs are of interest as these objects may indicate the survival of some material to the ground (in the form of meteorites). They often fragment (see picture below of the Peekskill fireball/meteorite from Oct 9, 1992) and may produce audible sound.

Interesting Non-Meteor Events

[edit on 27-5-2010 by mslag67]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Looks to me like a satellite in returning orbit into Earth's atmosphere, and thus burning up.

That's just my opinion though from the video.

EDIT:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Svoboda]

I watched the CTV video, and that looks to me like space junk just entering the atmosphere. Nothing unusual, really. If this were a real UFO it wouldn't be allowed to be shown on the news. CTV is full of propaganda, so I wouldn't take their word for what that was.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Svoboda]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Svoboda

Possibly. But if it were a satellite, why wouldn't they just say so? I've checked and have not found any reports of a meteor shower or even possible meteor shower.

Interesting. Keep us posted.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

This isnt like me to say , but have we considered the possibility that this was the contrail of a plane , caught in a certain angle of sunlight ? I know as shots go its a long one, and ALSO isnt nearly as fantastic as the alternative possibilities, but its surely worth exploring? Just to get that possibility eliminated from our investigation?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

In the CTV footage, near the end (before sat with kids) they flick through the images and one of them had 2 trails like a plane..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

That's the problem I can't find the original video and or pictures that i can blow up....all i can find is CTV's

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by UKWO1Phot

So glad it wasnt just me that saw that !

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Great video but at 1:17s it look like the "fireball" was a contrail from a plane. It would explain why it seemed to move so slowly.

Edit: Ah beaten to it.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by Svoboda

Possibly. But if it were a satellite, why wouldn't they just say so? I've checked and have not found any reports of a meteor shower or even possible meteor shower.

Because this is the news. They habitually lie to their viewers to create more interest in their story.

By calling an identifiable phenomena mysterious, this makes any real UFO reports or sightings seem explainable. If they were to call this a UFO I wouldn't be surprised, as the news reports on fake UFOs to give the illusion that all UFOs are fake. This is mind-control.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Svoboda

I think your right but this, i could explain if it were a contrail ( low sun set reflects the bottom of the high altitude contrail ......is contrails "smoke" that dense? to cause a reflection like that? has anyone seen contrails reflect during dusk? I've seen some weird # in the sky but that's a first.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mslag67

This looks similar to what happens to a satellite once it's orbital period is up. Satellites are always closing in on Earth's atmosphere because of gravity, but their speed is such that they can remain in orbit for a few years I think. Once they get too close they burn up like anything else entering the atmosphere from space.

I've seen chemtrails like what you are talking about though, so I know where you are coming from. NASA has mentioned though that they know of tens of thousands of space debris as small as nuts and bolts orbiting Earth. These do occasionally fall back into the atmosphere, and burn up due to the friction.

Satellites do look strange when they burn up in the atmosphere, but that's essentially what they look like. I'll provide another link to a similar phenomena.

www.youtube.com...

Sorry it's not English, but I think this is a satellite too.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Svoboda

thats weird.....the polish have videos on everything.... lol S & F

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
This isnt like me to say , but have we considered the possibility that this was the contrail of a plane , caught in a certain angle of sunlight ?

This gets my vote, as well. Jet contrail high up in the western sky in the late evening, reflecting the sun which has already set. See these all the time.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think there was a near earth rock that was going to come pretty close that night. Maybe it was that? I'll find a link.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Found it, I don't think it crashed into earth tho.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
(2010 KV39) 2010-May-26 0.0017 0.7 11 m - 25 m 26.8 10.44

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Next up, "a meteor strike in the gulf! No film at 11 because we're all dead".
Wouldn't surprise me the way things are going.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think OP made a mistake - the 'Another source' link is not the same phenomenon but a suspect meteor in April.

The new footage is interesting, however.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yargh... sorry dupe post. It's on YouTube now.

[edit on 2010-5-27 by sandwiches]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I came across a few pics of another sighting in Texas that looks similar to the one on CTV video. If you go to MUFON.com and click on the post made recently from Texas, you can see three pics someone took nowhere near Ontario obiously but from the pictures, you can see a resemblance and what looks to me like a plane.

mufoncms.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Doesn't look like a meteor to me.

It looks like an ordinary aircraft contrail, lit up to a golden color by the rising sun. In part of the closeup you can clearly see the two separate contrails from two engines joining into one.

I don't know why people think these ordinary contrails are so mysterious. I see short jet contrails which peter out just like this quite frequently. It just depends on the weather conditions.

And by the way, this jet contrail sighting was made back in 2008.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by bluestreak53]

new topics

top topics

join