It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A US nuclear submarine crosses into Strait of Hormuz

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I just kinda assumed there was already subs right in that area. I mean, Iran has made no secret of its plan to close the Straights if things turn ugly - so of course there would be a sub or two there to keep them open. And one US sub would be all it needed

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

I think with whats going on with the Korea's I wouldn't want to be a Captain of an American or Allied Ship in that gulf. They may be setting up another Gulf of Tonkin Scenario. I'm not 100% convinced that the South Korean ship wasn't sunk by us.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Pretty sure there is more than one. It wasnt long ago that TWO US subs ran into each other in the strait. I dont think because ONE was spotted means there is only ONE?

Originally posted by Curio
I just kinda assumed there was already subs right in that area. I mean, Iran has made no secret of its plan to close the Straights if things turn ugly - so of course there would be a sub or two there to keep them open. And one US sub would be all it needed

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Just what I was thinking. The first thing I would do after engaging Iran would be to declare that in the interests of the entire world the Strait of Hormuz will be restricted to one ship at a time and any unauthorized ships will be sunk before they can block the strait. I can see subs being used to keep ships at bay.

Not that I agree with it, just that it would seem prudent of any attacking force.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by cavscout]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

A US nuclear submarine crosses into Strait of Hormuz

www.debka.com

Tehran reports that an Iranian naval patrol Thursday, May 27, detected a US nuclear submarine sailing through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, through which most of the oil produced by Persian Gulf states passes on its way to world markets. debkafile's Iranian sources report Tehran has placed its navy and army on high alert.
Western intelligence and naval sources confirm that a nuclear-armed American submarine has in fact entered the Persian Gulf.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Since the Eisenhower Carrier group is in the area, it makes sense that there's at least one if not more Los Angeles attack subs operating in the area attached to the carrier group. That is normal SOP.

The SOH is shallow and narrow with overlapping international boundries. International shipping, civilian and military use designated inbound and outbound lanes to enter and depart the Gulf.

As far as the "extra" carrier being deployed, the Truman is enroute to relieve the Eisenhower as part of the normal carrier group rotation.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I agree with the other users that it was probably just an attack sub. On the off chance it was an Ohio class sub, it would almost certainally be one of the converted SSGNs. There wouldn't be any practical reason to station a SSBN in the gulf.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I am in China at the moment.

There is an English news channel... Press TV.... Irans TV Channel?

Anyway it was headline today with footage.

Looks like the Iranians are on a small RIB or similar. With a small video camera, they spot the periscope?

Then they get real close, or it looks that way, maybe just the zoom on the camera. The video footage is not very stable ie. boat bobboing up and down, sometimes at speed.

You can hear them talking and its translated into English with subtitles.

From memory watching it this morning they say, slow down, no stop... whilst they get a better more stable capture of the footage.

Hope this helps.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I know nothing about subs but the periscope looked very high tech! If you have any pics of various periscopes of US subs I will probably be able to tell you which one.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
By the way Press TV is really good, same Aljazeera.

They have some really interesting interviews etc.... unlike BBC, Fox, CNNN etc etc.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

Too right Curio-the straights of hormuz being such an important stretch of water,I also would have expected many subs to be patrolling the area,probably for decades.

I didn't realise its only 70-100meters deep though.
Hard to hide a sub in that depth-I would have thought a decent very high powered lamp would make pretty much anything visible down there.

The Iranians were probably lamping for subs..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join